daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 19th, 2014, 07:15 PM   #26641
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

I have some wonderful news. North Korea has made it to the finals, after beating everyone in the group stage. (they beat USA with 4-0). They'll be playing Portugal in the finals.

Verso, bozenBDJ, JackFrost liked this post
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 19th, 2014, 07:39 PM   #26642
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
There are no kangaroos in Austria.
Now, now.

They had separate entries for Mayrhofen and Mayrhofen-Zillertal, and a proper map...obviously (if we take your word for it. :-P ) their data's just wrong. (Actually, the "-Zillertal" information matches what your site has for the top of the mountain.)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2014, 08:21 PM   #26643
Road_UK
BANNED

That with the kangaroos is what you can buy on t-shirts in souvenir shops. Zillertal is the name of the valley my Mayrhofen is in. There's another Mayrhofen when heading towards Salzburg apparently...
Old July 19th, 2014, 09:23 PM   #26644
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2120

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
i think that in HR in such situation they treat you like losing the ticket with double longest possible route.
I think here too, in fact I paid nothing at the toll booth by intervention of the assistant, but the bill was for 79€. I'll go to Autostrade office to check, but I'm not going to pay this monstrosity for just 150 km.
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2014, 09:27 PM   #26645
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
I think here too, in fact I paid nothing at the toll booth by intervention of the assistant, but the bill was for 79€. I'll go to Autostrade office to check, but I'm not going to pay this monstrosity for just 150 km.
btw, you would never make an U-turn just in front of the booths at local exit?
Old July 20th, 2014, 10:08 AM   #26646
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Likes (Received): 4063

Greetings from Nea Vrasna,Greece !

Skyline_ liked this post
Autoputevi kao hobi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2014, 06:52 PM   #26647
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21251

Frustation with online maps

I'm quite frustrated with the current state of online maps on bigger scale maps.

Google Maps, after its last revamp, now shows just very few roads if you zoom out, mainly the highways and nothing else on Satellite mode. On map mode, it shows more roads, but it is very difficult to spot the other ones shown in colors that don't distinguish them at all.

Bing Maps used to offer a more "dense" visualization, but now it will behave quite randomly for displays other than those in North America (where it works well).

ViaMichelin was my favorite map. Pretty looking, accurate, and with nice illustration job. However, it seems they have just stopped updating it altogether, I see road projects completed more than 2 years ago without any update on the online engine. I wonder if they will falter and stop printign atlases as well.
Old July 20th, 2014, 09:12 PM   #26648
Peines
Peter

Likes (Received): 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I'm quite frustrated with the current state of online maps on bigger scale maps.

Google Maps, after its last revamp, now shows just very few roads if you zoom out, mainly the highways and nothing else on Satellite mode. On map mode, it shows more roads, but it is very difficult to spot the other ones shown in colors that don't distinguish them at all.

Bing Maps used to offer a more "dense" visualization, but now it will behave quite randomly for displays other than those in North America (where it works well).

ViaMichelin was my favorite map. Pretty looking, accurate, and with nice illustration job. However, it seems they have just stopped updating it altogether, I see road projects completed more than 2 years ago without any update on the online engine. I wonder if they will falter and stop printign atlases as well.
Mee too, they're desinged for normal people, not for a maps freak

I rather prefer Openstreetmap, Waze, and Apple Maps.

Anyway I have a lot of troubles with Google Maps in Alicante: all street and landmarks naming are so fuc#&% bad: they translate everything to Catalan, not even in Valencian (there're some little differences), in the spanish/english version with no reason.

Calatalan/Valencian is spoken by a small part of the population in Alicante City and Elche, so all names are popularly known in Spanish rather in Valencian. If someone says otherwise is who has never lived in Alicante.

Change all names into Valencian in the spanish/english versions has no sense when there's a Catalan/Valencian version of all Google Services, specially when the locals didn't speak Valencian (but they know the language).

I could understand that street names in Calalonia are in Catalan in the spanish version of Google Maps because people in there speak Catalan and everything is in Catalan and a little part speak Spanish, but here in Alicante is the opposite!, so naming must be in Spanish in the spanish versions cause everyone and everything is in spanish.

For example, when someone search an street name given by someone, like Avenida de Juan Carlos I, Elche google maps will return Avinguda de Joan Carles I / Elx.

Another example, and pisses me off so hard, is when someone search Torrellano google will return Torre del Plà which is really a huge error because Torrellano has no translation into Valencian, so Torre del Plà is an invented name.

Also, they changed the name Alicante to Alacant and Elche to Elx in the Spanish/English version, and that's like to change the name from New York to Nueva York in english versions, or London to Londres, or Gèneve to Ginebra
Peines no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2014, 12:22 AM   #26649
MattiG

Likes (Received): 618

Summer

Summer has arrived to the North. Midnight. Temperature +20 centigrade. +26 forecasted for tomorrow. Sunset at 2310 local time. Civil twilight occurs until the sunrise at 0400. Solving sudokus without artificial light. Latitude 65 north. Almost total silence. Some insects trying to attack. Spanish white wine chilled.

Attus liked this post
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2014, 12:33 AM   #26650
Road_UK
BANNED

Spanish white whine. Yuk
Old July 21st, 2014, 03:38 AM   #26651
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Talking of Spain, I was watching BBC World News a bit after 3 p.m. my time - 7 p.m. GMT, 8 p.m. British Summer Time - and they were talking with someone in Barcelona and had a graphic informing us it was 20:09 "local time" (then 20:10, then 20:11...) Were they an hour off or has Spain (a) moved to a time zone that would make more sense for it or (b) opted out of Summer Time?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2014, 04:43 AM   #26652
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21251

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Talking of Spain, I was watching BBC World News a bit after 3 p.m. my time - 7 p.m. GMT, 8 p.m. British Summer Time - and they were talking with someone in Barcelona and had a graphic informing us it was 20:09 "local time" (then 20:10, then 20:11...) Were they an hour off or has Spain (a) moved to a time zone that would make more sense for it or (b) opted out of Summer Time?
Spain is GMT+2 right now, no change whatsoever. They put a wrong "local time" notice.

Penn's Woods liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2014, 05:02 AM   #26653
Jasper90
Unità

Likes (Received): 12131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peines View Post

Anyway I have a lot of troubles with Google Maps in Alicante: all street and landmarks naming are so fuc#&% bad: they translate everything to Catalan, not even in Valencian (there're some little differences), in the spanish/english version with no reason.

Calatalan/Valencian is spoken by a small part of the population in Alicante City and Elche, so all names are popularly known in Spanish rather in Valencian. If someone says otherwise is who has never lived in Alicante.

Change all names into Valencian in the spanish/english versions has no sense when there's a Catalan/Valencian version of all Google Services, specially when the locals didn't speak Valencian (but they know the language).

I could understand that street names in Calalonia are in Catalan in the spanish version of Google Maps because people in there speak Catalan and everything is in Catalan and a little part speak Spanish, but here in Alicante is the opposite!, so naming must be in Spanish in the spanish versions cause everyone and everything is in spanish.

For example, when someone search an street name given by someone, like Avenida de Juan Carlos I, Elche google maps will return Avinguda de Joan Carles I / Elx.

Another example, and pisses me off so hard, is when someone search Torrellano google will return Torre del Plà which is really a huge error because Torrellano has no translation into Valencian, so Torre del Plà is an invented name.

Also, they changed the name Alicante to Alacant and Elche to Elx in the Spanish/English version, and that's like to change the name from New York to Nueva York in english versions, or London to Londres, or Gèneve to Ginebra
In Venice they did even worse.
All the streets of the city have names in Venetian language, they're widely accepted and they have no Italian translation.
Some of the main streets are called "Salizada", which in Italian would translate "Strada selciata", street covered with flint (selce). They're called like that because they were the first streets to be paved, in ancient times.

Well, Google Maps decided to translate it. But they totally misinterpreted it, and translated it to "Salita", which in Italian means... Ramp, rising street!

I mean... Hilly streets in Venice?

Please visit my thread, and feel free to ask any question :) don't forget to subscribe!
Jasper90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2014, 12:36 PM   #26654
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peines View Post

I'm into Chinese things, and I thought there weren't any more up to date maps than Google until I discovered Baidu Maps. It's always up to date, which is unbelieveable because as many of us know every damn road map of China is already outdated when it gets out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Mistake of BBC. We are still one hour ahead of the UK.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2014, 04:30 PM   #26655
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2120

Greetings from a very rainy and chilly Brunico-Bruneck (Alto Adige-Sudtirol). I think a week's worth of hiking will go down the drain, since forecasts are very bad :-(
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2014, 05:01 PM   #26656
Road_UK
BANNED

That's strange. You're only across the mountains from me, but the forecast here is very good. It's raining here as well though...

Just out of interest... do you speak German or Italian with the locals?
Old July 21st, 2014, 06:18 PM   #26657
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Greetings from a very rainy and chilly Brunico-Bruneck (Alto Adige-Sudtirol). I think a week's worth of hiking will go down the drain, since forecasts are very bad :-(
Also here near the Adriatic sea it's rainy and chilly, yesterday we had 32°C.
Quote:
That's strange. You're only across the mountains from me, but the forecast here is very good. It's raining here as well though...

You can communicate anywhere in Alto Adige\Suedtirol in Italian. Everybody understand it even if it's not their primary language. However some of them speak a very poor Italian and write with grammar mistakes (even in restaurants' menus).
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2014, 06:59 PM   #26658
Jasper90
Unità

Likes (Received): 12131

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
You can communicate anywhere in Alto Adige\Suedtirol in Italian. Everybody understand it even if it's not their primary language. However some of them speak a very poor Italian and write with grammar mistakes (even in restaurants' menus).
They take the language issue quite seriously. In fact, all signs and writings are totally bilingual and sometimes even trilingual in some mountain cities where they speak Ladin. This applies either in the streets and in the shops.

I've only been to Bolzano and Merano, the two most Italian speaking cities (75% and 50% Italians, in the two cities). My experience is that, when you enter a shop, they don't greet you. They wait for you to either say "Ciao" or "Hallo", so they know if they have to answer in Italian or German

If they're German native speakers, they'll probably know not so good Italian, with an extremely strong accent. But it's more than enough to communicate

I don't know how the situation is in other areas, though. The rest of Alto Adige/Sudtirol is mostly German speaking. In some areas such as Valle Aurina/Ahrntal, virtually everyone is a native speaker of German (98.76% according to the last census).

Please visit my thread, and feel free to ask any question :) don't forget to subscribe!
Jasper90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2014, 07:13 PM   #26659
Road_UK
BANNED

Obviously, whenever I am there I speak German to them. In the area around Bruneck, where G Spinoza is at the moment, it's the main language anyway. But with G being a native Italian speaker, but also with good knowledge of the German language I am just wondering which language he uses in the area around Bruneck...
Old July 21st, 2014, 07:15 PM   #26660
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Also here near the Adriatic sea it's rainy and chilly, yesterday we had 32°C. You can communicate anywhere in Alto Adige\Suedtirol in Italian. Everybody understand it even if it's not their primary language. However some of them speak a very poor Italian and write with grammar mistakes (even in restaurants' menus).
Not really. I have been told that especially in Sterzing the knowledge of Italian is not overwhelmingly good.

Tags
highways, motorways