daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 24th, 2014, 11:47 PM   #26701
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Tomorrow I will drive to Prague for a weekend there. It will be my first time in CZ.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 25th, 2014, 12:29 AM   #26702
italystf

The company who manages the new A35 motorway in Italy reccomended people not to stopping on the shoulders without necessity, including taking pics or selfies with the new road signs. I though it was something that only SSC members would do.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

Kanadzie, cinxxx liked this post
Old July 25th, 2014, 12:29 AM   #26703
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

(Click for large version)

volodaaaa, hofburg liked this post
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2014, 12:32 AM   #26704
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

@italystf: what does "stf" stand for? I've never asked that.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2014, 12:49 AM   #26705
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
The company who manages the new A35 motorway in Italy reccomended people not to stopping on the shoulders without necessity, including taking pics or selfies with the new road signs. I though it was something that only SSC members would do.
Not only on SSC. Thousands were at it yesterday when they brought the first victims of MH17 in. On the opposite direction a lot stopped on the hard shoulder, and a lot stopped on the outside lane of the carriageway. The Dutch Highways Agency (Rijkswaterstaat) has asked motorists not to do that again, as there are going to be more of these convoys in the next couple of days.

Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2014, 12:57 AM   #26706
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

What a tragedy that is. I can't even find words for what an insane act that was, and what followed as well. I wish the victims well wherever they may be and their families the strength to continue
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2014, 12:57 AM   #26707
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
@italystf: what does "stf" stand for? I've never asked that.
Some letters of my name. And do you drive a Toyota Verso?
Old July 25th, 2014, 01:10 AM   #26708
Verso
Islander

Stefano? No, I've never driven Toyota Verso, I drive Peugeot.
Old July 25th, 2014, 01:12 AM   #26709
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Not only on SSC. Thousands were at it yesterday when they brought the first victims of MH17 in. On the opposite direction a lot stopped on the hard shoulder, and a lot stopped on the outside lane of the carriageway. The Dutch Highways Agency (Rijkswaterstaat) has asked motorists not to do that again, as there are going to be more of these convoys in the next couple of days.

This is plain stupid, to create more troubles in already tragic situations. However this is a event with a lot of media coverage, so it's obvious that someone would like to take some pics, even if it's wrong. But I don't see a lot of people, other than infrastructures enthusiasts, photographing normal motorway signs, even if they're new. It's not something out of the ordinary, something who has the "cool" factor, unless it's a very particular sign (like the sign with Beijng near Padova or that f****** place near Salzburg).
Old July 25th, 2014, 01:33 AM   #26710
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18311

I got back to Ingolstadt this evening, already miss Portugal, what a great vacation that was...

I found a letter in my mailbox, a speeding ticket from 21 May, from Austria (Anonymverfügung, Land Kärnten):
Drove 13 km/h over the allowed limit of 100 km/h at Gemeinde Trebesing, Tauern Autobahn, Umkehrschleife, StrKm 131.921, direction Spittal-Drau.

The amount is 35€
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2014, 03:16 AM   #26711
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
This is plain stupid, to create more troubles in already tragic situations. However this is a event with a lot of media coverage, so it's obvious that someone would like to take some pics, even if it's wrong. But I don't see a lot of people, other than infrastructures enthusiasts, photographing normal motorway signs, even if they're new. It's not something out of the ordinary, something who has the "cool" factor, unless it's a very particular sign (like the sign with Beijng near Padova or that f****** place near Salzburg).
Is it feasible to just close the road briefly when these convoys are on the move?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2014, 03:28 AM   #26712
Kanadzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
I got back to Ingolstadt this evening, already miss Portugal, what a great vacation that was...

I found a letter in my mailbox, a speeding ticket from 21 May, from Austria (Anonymverfügung, Land Kärnten):
Drove 13 km/h over the allowed limit of 100 km/h at Gemeinde Trebesing, Tauern Autobahn, Umkehrschleife, StrKm 131.921, direction Spittal-Drau.

The amount is 35€
insane enough to make us regret the reversal of the anschluss...
Old July 25th, 2014, 03:54 AM   #26713
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Is it feasible to just close the road briefly when these convoys are on the move?
If you're referring to the Dutch MH17 'convoy' picture: that's exactly what happened. They closed the road about 2-3 minutes before the 'convoy' arrived and the road opened again after the last part of the 'convoy' passed.
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2014, 04:03 AM   #26714
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

I meant, to close it in both directions so that you don't have people on the un-closed side creating a hazard. Easier said than done, I suppose, though.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old July 25th, 2014, 04:20 AM   #26715
Kanadzie

did anyone get run-over? it seems a non issue.

FWIW the best view is from minor road overpasses
Old July 25th, 2014, 09:36 AM   #26716
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1755

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
I don't think that is very funny. I am very sad and even emotional and angry about what happened and how the political witch hunt has begun out there in a war that is not supposed to be ours. But we're up our necks in it now...
I hve just managed to connect to the internet, and read the news. The world haven't ever been that stupid. The plane Is still warm after the crash and stupid politicians already do stupid decisions and statements.

Do they want a war? Because this is how they got a war. The accidet happened over unsdtable region, responsible people with power should be wise and careful. Not blame each other as Russia and nato do.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2014, 04:18 PM   #26717
Verso
Islander

Exactly, everyone should calm down and stop making Russia and the rest of Europe the biggest enemies in the world. And whatever the US leadership tells us to do, we should do exactly the opposite!

Autoputevi kao hobi liked this post
Old July 25th, 2014, 04:40 PM   #26718
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Wait, it's our fault now?

Of course, everything always is.... Including the two "world" wars EUROPEANS have started in the last century. Only have a week or so to get a third in.

I, frankly, am sick to death of having to worry about losing my life over ridiculous fights among Third World thugs in eastern European hellholes that mean NOTHING, NOTHING to us. Do you really think anyone over here (including Obama) gives a **** about the Crimea, or Donetsk, or Ljubljana or Bratislava? (And yet, three months ago, I was being lectured by other Eastern Europeans on this thread on how badly you need us. Make up your fricking minds! Preferably in a direction that leaves me out of it.)

But - news flash - there IS a war on. Has been for several months. It seemed nice and contained until last week, but now the Dutch have lost a larger share of their population than we lost on 9/11. And THAT'S why this crap has to stop. Put your heads in the sand all you like, but Russian-armed thugs ARE responsible for this. Putin needs to stop them. (Frankly, I too was a bit annoyed last week when Obama started laying out the case against Putin - I was thinking why can't we just wait for the investigation - but if it shames, or scares, him into stopping this (and the investigation isn't happening anyway)....) Because as long as it goes on, another bit of unanticipated crap could put us all at risk again. Assuming this bit of unanticipated crap blows over. Believe me, I'm not advocating for war. But I personally can't take years of this. If Putin were assassinated or overthrown tomorrow, I'd be thrilled.)

But what does the so-called European Union do about it? Squat. The fricking French go ahead with a deal to sell Putin warships. And then a day later the Dutch (according to a report I saw) were talking about sending in troops ("just to secure the investigation site," supposedly). Fortunately, that seems to have gone nowhere. Wouldn't surprise me at all if it was evil "US leadership" that talked them out of it.

And it was that nice, peace-loving European Union that started this whole mess, far as I can tell. By deciding it would be nice to have the Ukraine as a sort-of-member (with the assumption that NATO - for which this country is paying more than its share, and I don't see what we get out of it - would back them up). That's great. A leading commercial rival of ours (Ally? Ha!) expands recklessly, we subsidize it, and then it blames us when it stirs up messes.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Road_UK, Jasper90, Kanadzie liked this post

Last edited by Penn's Woods; July 25th, 2014 at 05:03 PM.
Old July 25th, 2014, 04:49 PM   #26719
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

It wouln't be the European Union starting this mess, simply because it hasn't got a foreign policy, thank God.

Verso liked this post
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2014, 05:01 PM   #26720
bogdymol
bogdymod

Please behave. Thank you
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog

Suburbanist liked this post
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways