daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 1st, 2014, 12:12 AM   #26881
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1751

If everything turns good, I will be given a part-time job at the Ministry of Transportation of Slovak republic next month.

nbcee, hofburg liked this post
volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 1st, 2014, 02:18 PM   #26882
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1936

In AARoads Forum they would mark you as DOT (department of transportation) employee .

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbcee View Post
Yepp, it's Rendőrség but they're using the English name for their website for some reason.
It's more recognizable than 'Rendőrség'. Most other European languages use variants of police, even Basque (Unrelated to other languages) uses 'polizia', which is the same word as in Italian.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.

nbcee liked this post
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2014, 02:20 PM   #26883
nbcee
Machiavellian travesty

Likes (Received): 14002

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
In AARoads Forum they would mark you as DOT (department of transportation) employee .

It's more recognizable than 'Rendőrség'. Most other European languages use variants of police, even Basque (Unrelated to other languages) uses 'polizia', which is the same word as in Italian.
I can only think of one other exception: the Irish use the word Garda.

Emperor of Bir Tawil and the Nbcee farmlands
Demigod of DLM
nbcee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2014, 03:14 PM   #26884
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
We will see... But I am quite happy about that.

Quote:
Does not Italy use "carabinieri"? Or is that only a name for certain police section?

Old August 1st, 2014, 03:21 PM   #26885
nbcee
Machiavellian travesty

Likes (Received): 14002

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
Does not Italy use "carabinieri"? Or is that only a name for certain police section?
Those are two different organistaions:

Emperor of Bir Tawil and the Nbcee farmlands
Demigod of DLM
nbcee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2014, 03:27 PM   #26886
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
It may have a Latin etymology, since in Italian Guardia means 'watchman'.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2014, 03:29 PM   #26887
italystf

edit. delete this.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old August 1st, 2014, 03:42 PM   #26888
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Deleted.

Verso liked this post
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2014, 03:50 PM   #26889
italystf

Quote:
Those are two different organistaions:
Yes. Polizia is a civil institution, subordinated to the Minister of the Internal Affairs. Carabinieri is a military institution, subordinated to the Minister of the Defence. Carabinieri usually do civil functions like Polizia, but they can also work with the Italian army in "peace missions"(*) abroad.
(*) politically-correct expression for war
Old August 1st, 2014, 05:35 PM   #26890
Road_UK
BANNED

Watching a bit of Dutch TV right now. My nan gave me a Dutch satellite smart-card, so I've got all Dutch channels here in Austria. Got Sky as well, so I got all British channels. Who wants to watch German and Austrian TV anyway - there is nothing worse then to hear a jive African-American talking with a Hamburg accent.

Anyway, some US military friends of mine who are stationed in Germany feel more at home in Holland. Somewhat more American they say. I see their point...

In America there are a lot of car-thefts. So the police use bait-cars, which they park somewhere - usually with the engine running and they wait for a potential thief to come and take it, only to be nicked by the police minutes later and a few hundred metres down the road.

On Dutch TV they were just talking about bait-bicycles. A scheme apparently in operation in Utrecht where they catch bicycle-thief's by the dozens.
I can't even tell how many bikes they nicked from me. But I only stole about 3 or 4 in my life, so I have to steal a few more to get the balance right
Old August 1st, 2014, 06:07 PM   #26891
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
In America there are a lot of car-thefts. So the police use bait-cars, which they park somewhere - usually with the engine running and they wait for a potential thief to come and take it, only to be nicked by the police minutes later and a few hundred metres down the road.

On Dutch TV they were just talking about bait-bicycles. A scheme apparently in operation in Utrecht where they catch bicycle-thief's by the dozens.
This should be illegal. As they say, opportunity makes a thief. Anyone would steal, given a chance to do so without being punished. You can throw 90% of the world in jail then.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2014, 06:21 PM   #26892
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
This should be illegal. As they say, opportunity makes a thief. Anyone would steal, given a chance to do so without being punished. You can throw 90% of the world in jail then.
It's not an excuse. A honest people won't never steal anything unless it's clearly abandoned by the owner. The same thing may be said about supermarkets, things are left at customer's reach but it's not a justification to steal them. An unlocked car or bicycle shouldn't be a justification to theft. It's like police officers posing like drug addicts to catch pushers.
Old August 1st, 2014, 06:50 PM   #26893
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
An unlocked car or bicycle shouldn't be a justification to theft.
I didn't say that, but those bait-cars are highly controversial IMO. I've already stolen some money myself, because I knew I wouldn't be punished (saleswoman gave me back way too much change). I still feel a little guilty though.
Old August 1st, 2014, 07:02 PM   #26894
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

I don't know if I would say I don't want to steal things because of punishment, more of not wanting to hurt the owner...

Getting too much change and walking off isn't stealing, it's grabbing the cash register and running away that is stealing
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2014, 07:15 PM   #26895
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
Getting too much change and walking off isn't stealing
Well, I was in an exchange office, so I was given quite some money in any case (it wasn't actually change). The point is that you always check, if you're given the correct sum of money in the other currency. We still had tolar instead of euro, and I think I was given some 20,000 SIT instead of 3,000 SIT, so that was a big difference (€70 or 7 times as much). Of course I immediately noticed it and walked out pretty quickly. My point is that if she'd eventually noticed, I would've been extremely embarrassed, because we'd both have known very well that I'd noticed way too much money, so that would've been pretty much like stealing (although indeed not literally).

Last edited by Verso; August 1st, 2014 at 07:23 PM.
Old August 1st, 2014, 08:28 PM   #26896
volodaaaa

I don't know what is controversial. Whovere has lust for stealing unlocked car is a thief in his soul. And i don't steal or abuse opportunities not because of punishment or hurting the owner, but because it is against my moral codex. Once i've found 50€ on sidewalk. I left it there like I had not noticed.

Old August 1st, 2014, 08:34 PM   #26897
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Once i've found 50€ on sidewalk. I left it there like I had not noticed.
What? Are you nuts???

Verso liked this post
Old August 1st, 2014, 08:58 PM   #26898
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
What? Are you nuts???
I've been also affraid there was children or TV trying to fool me :-)

Old August 1st, 2014, 09:04 PM   #26899
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:

I've been also affraid there was children or TV trying to fool me :-)
And you were willing to spend a 50 smackeroonies to find out...
Old August 1st, 2014, 10:13 PM   #26900
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3438

once i saw some money at the floor at corridor of shopping center. i was making my mind up to take it or not, and then some guy took it in front of my nose. i felt so stupid.

cinxxx liked this post
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways