daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 15th, 2014, 09:25 PM   #27141
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18300

Greetings from the Saxon Switzerland (Sächsische Schweiz)
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 15th, 2014, 09:58 PM   #27142
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 4005

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
Well, well, are you ever at Ingolstadt?
Alex_ZR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2014, 10:07 PM   #27143
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

During work days
Old August 15th, 2014, 10:12 PM   #27144
Skopje/Скопје
Macedonia/Македонија

Likes (Received): 61658

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
You travel a lot. I envy you!
Skopje/Скопје no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2014, 10:29 PM   #27145
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

We have the Friday off so long weekend
Weather is not really great though...
Old August 16th, 2014, 01:13 PM   #27146
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1750

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
which destilery?

(btw be careful with it, it is not a drink to get drunk of it because it's too sweet for that, and you will lose all taste senses except bitter for 3 days )
Well, we played a drinking ludo with that Btw. the destilery is called "Pokorny", but I have not found a thing about that on the internet. It gave me my uncle who bought it in Eastern Slavonia during peace mission there in years 1995-1998, so it is possible that the distillery already stopped its production.

volodaaaa está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2014, 03:48 PM   #27147
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

I have a question. Why do people in this section of SSC always talk about NIMBY's in a very degrading way? Are their interests really that unworthy in car- and road eccentric eyes?
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2014, 03:57 PM   #27148
volodaaaa

Okay, it is time to annoy you with grammar issues, now cardinal directions.
Can sameone confirm my thoughts?

The problems are with words derived from e.g. West

Western = more west than something or adjective of west?
On the west of = included in region? Like Sopron is on the west of Hungary?
On the west from = excluded from the region? Like Austria is on the west frtom Hungary?
Westward = adjective for something moving to the west?
Westwards = adverb for the manner of moving to west?
Westbound = adjective and adverb for somethin heading toward west?
Westerly = adverb for somethin that originates on the west? Like westerly winds?

Because I am completely confused :-D

Old August 16th, 2014, 04:18 PM   #27149
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
I have a question. Why do people in this section of SSC always talk about NIMBY's in a very degrading way? Are their interests really that unworthy in car- and road eccentric eyes?
It depends on what people you are talking about. In East bloc, land and properties were owned by state. After the end of the cold war and transition to a market economy, people were allowed to purchase the properties they had been using or living in. Some certain people who got information in advance knew what properties are worth purchasing (especially those the future motorways were planned through). So they purchased it for the few bucks and then, upon the project documentation (stating the motorway would run through their backyards) came out, they decided to extort respective ministry.

The ministry or the contracted company had to purchase the certain property and often spent much more resources than the real value of property was.

The owners of such properties were often individuals related or really close to particular politicians (friends, wives, siblings-in-law, classmates) an the above mentioned method was the easiest and legal way how to obtain public resources.

Unfortunately, it makes no good reputation for true Nimbies.

Old August 16th, 2014, 04:51 PM   #27150
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
NIMBYies, unlike environmentalists, care only about the interests, not the interests of the society.
Infrastructure expert:
- Useful project: when it has a high benefit\cost ratio
- Useless project: when it has a low benefit\cost ratio
Average people:
- Useful project: when I need it for my movements
- Useless project: when I don't need it for my movements or simply annoys me
NIMBY propaganda highlights only disvantages of the infrastructure they oppose to, ignoring all possible benefits, simply because they don't want it at any cost. Those campaigns are often held by activist with very little scientific knowledge about fields like geology, biology, engineering and economics, that are very important when talking about infrastructure and environment.
On the other hand, a serious environmental analysis, should analyze pros and cons of a certain project from a neutral point of view and with a scientific method.
Unfortunately it's easier to persuade masses with populist arguments rather than scientific discussions. People are used to reason with stereothypes "it would destroy the environment", "it would only benefit politicians and big companies", "we managed to do without for decades", "we could feed poor people with that money",... Sometimes stereothypes are true, sometimes not.
NIMBYsm exist only in countries that have been developed for decades, in developing countries everyone loves modernity, with the consequent that developing countries usually create the worst environmental disasters, since they grow fast ignoring environmental issues and are usually more corrupted and less democratic. Of course NIMBYsm can occur only where the free debate is allowed, and not where the government dictates everything.
Quote:
NIMBYsm doesn't only involve road infrastructure. In my country the strongest NIMBY groups are the ones against high-speed rail infrastructure (TAV = Treno Alta Velocità) and garbage disposal plants (the latter especially in Campania).
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

g.spinoza, Suburbanist, Jasper90 liked this post
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2014, 05:19 PM   #27151
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

I've just seen four cars with Chinese license plates in central Ljubljana for the first time, going from Beijing to Paris!
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2014, 09:45 PM   #27152
Natomasken

Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
Okay, it is time to annoy you with grammar issues, now cardinal directions.
Can sameone confirm my thoughts?

The problems are with words derived from e.g. West

Western = more west than something or adjective of west?

Yes, adjective indicating the western portion of a place (e.g., He lives in western Pennsylvania.).

On the west of = included in region? Like Sopron is on the west of Hungary?
On the west from = excluded from the region? Like Austria is on the west frtom Hungary?

Both of these sound awkward to me, and I don't think the meaning would be clear to an English speaker. I would say "in the west of" (or more commonly, "in western ...") for a place within the larger place; and "to the west of" (or, more commonly, just "west of") for a place outside of another place. For example, Bratislava is in the west of Slovakia (or Bratislava is in western Slovakia); and Austria is to the west of Slovakia (or Austria is west of Slovakia).

Westward = adjective for something moving to the west?
Westwards = adverb for the manner of moving to west?
Westbound = adjective and adverb for somethin heading toward west?

Yes to these. (But I'm a little uncertain about "westwards." I think the adverb "westwardly" might be better.)

Westerly = adverb for somethin that originates on the west? Like westerly winds?

This one is confusing. Generally, westerly indicates a movement TO the west (e.g., He's walking in a westerly direction.). But when referring to winds, it means the direction the wind is coming FROM (e.g., There are strong westerlies today.) To me, it would make more sense and be more consistent to describe the direction the wind is blowing TO, not FROM.

Actually, these last 3 words (westward, westbound, westerly) really mean the same thing, but are used in different situations. For example, westbound generally is used in relation to transportation (e.g., a westbound train, westbound traffic, westbound lanes, a westbound flight) but you would use westward to indicate a mass movement (e.g., There was a westward settlement of the US in the 1800's.). Westerly is typically used with the word "direction" (e.g., The river flowed in a westerly direction.). I know this has to be confusing but you would still be completely understood even if you used the wrong word for the situation.

Because I am completely confused :-D
I hope this helps!
Australia: ACT, NSW, VIC
Roadnerd over 40 years!

volodaaaa liked this post

Last edited by Natomasken; August 16th, 2014 at 09:49 PM. Reason: add comment
Natomasken no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2014, 11:33 PM   #27153
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
Yes. (But we must consider, such a behavior can obstruct constructing railways, cellphone towers, etc., not only roads).
It is basically a very normal behaivor. I, too, were not happy having a motorway or even a tram line 25 meters apart from my windows. If someone has a real estate property, its value may decrease drastically if a new motorway will be built nearby. For me it is alright that people are angry in such a case.
And I find it OK if people ask for a restitution. So actually I can respect their interests. What I can not accept is if someone interferes the construction completely. If s/he says: here will nothing be constructed, not any way. Such a behavior is unacceptable.
Attus está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2014, 11:35 PM   #27154
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

"Restitution" may be not the proper word here, what I mean is a financial compensation.
Attus está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2014, 12:37 AM   #27155
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21240

The fundamental problem of NIMBYs and a significant part of environmentalism is the tunnel-vision and ad-hoc focus on specific projects with complete disregard to the systemic needs of society and economy.

Most drivers benefit from the existence of a freeway network in their countries. But the NIMBYs, while using highways extensively, think that their neighborhood is some special place that don't deserve to share the burden of having a highway ROW through it. It is not a matter of fitting proper noise barriers or using tunnels to avoid demolitions, they just won't put up with anything on their turf.

A good example was the hysterical opposition to the completion of A32 in Italy (up to the Frejus tunnel portal). Places like Bardonecchia, Oulx and Susa had always benefit from the existence of fast links, but there were some bitter local opposition then the gap was finally close in the not so distant past. They framed it on various terms, including "economic doom" that would come once long-distance traffic didn't have to pass crawling any longer at local streets.

There is also the tunnel-vision of many environmentalists. Like people who scream at any new house or office construction project, and then cringe at high housing prices. Or those who say they are anti-pollution, but then oppose windmills because they "spoil views and kill birds', oppose nuclear power because it is "dangerously uncontrollable", and end up with having a lot of coal-fired plants that are much more polluting (Germany anyone?)
Old August 17th, 2014, 02:45 AM   #27156
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Likes (Received): 4063

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
I've just seen four cars with Chinese license plates in central Ljubljana for the first time, going from Beijing to Paris!
For the first time in my live i saw a car with UK plates on E-75 one month ago.
Autoputevi kao hobi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2014, 04:29 AM   #27157
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Geez, really?
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2014, 09:16 AM   #27158
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natomasken View Post
I hope this helps!
Helped a lot! Thank you very much. Now is all clear :-)

Old August 17th, 2014, 01:26 PM   #27159
Fatfield

Likes (Received): 93

Meanwhile in Fatfield, England.

Before renovation.
http://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.881...OlSNEX843Q!2e0

After renovation.

I wouldn't want to be parking here everyday. Its also on a major bus route and thoroughfare through the village.
Fatfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2014, 01:42 PM   #27160
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

And the owner agreed to have it put there???
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways