daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 27th, 2014, 05:19 PM   #27301
Broccolli

Likes (Received): 936

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152597269943762
Broccolli no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 27th, 2014, 05:43 PM   #27302
nbcee
Machiavellian travesty

Likes (Received): 14026

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_ZR View Post
Yes, I talked about Hungarian minority, but I didn't intend to offend anyone. My colleague at the university is Hungarian, and once she had to read her written work in front of professor and other students. It was so bad, it sounded almost like Google translate. On the other hand, she lives in a town where 86% of population are Hungarians.
Well actually the last sentence explains it.

Do to others as you would have them do to you. I'm not trying to offend you or anyone but please ask yourself: if Vojvodina was still part of Hungary would you be happy to undergo some magyarization?

Let people speak what language they want - yes, this can cause some difficulties in some situations but please don't force them.

BTW is she from Kanjiža/Magyarkanizsa?

Emperor of Bir Tawil and the Nbcee farmlands
Demigod of DLM
nbcee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2014, 07:55 PM   #27303
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 4016

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbcee View Post
Well actually the last sentence explains it.

Do to others as you would have them do to you. I'm not trying to offend you or anyone but please ask yourself: if Vojvodina was still part of Hungary would you be happy to undergo some magyarization?

Let people speak what language they want - yes, this can cause some difficulties in some situations but please don't force them.

BTW is she from Kanjiža/Magyarkanizsa?
No hard feelings. Yes, she is from Kanjiža/Magyarkanizsa. I always wondered why didn't she chosen to study in Szeged for example. Many Romanians from Serbian Banat chosen to study in Timisoara, for free.

nbcee liked this post
Alex_ZR está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2014, 10:12 PM   #27304
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1756

As I have told you once. It is just their own business.

If a Hungarian from Vojvodina does not speak Serbian, he may disadvantage only him/herself. The situation can not disadvantage you (actually it may help you a little bit) :-)

A funny story: I got a classmate from Šahy (SK, but Hungarian area) who spoke very very bad Slovak. But "unfortunately" he got the dormitory room with classmates from Martin (it is central part of Slovakia, people are very proud of their origin there, of traditions, of being Slovaks and often despise people and things from other regions). Very soon they became friends, Slovaks taught him how to drink shots and on the last fifth grade, he was able to speak Slovak fluently

Alex_ZR liked this post
volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2014, 10:16 PM   #27305
nbcee
Machiavellian travesty

Quote:
No hard feelings. Yes, she is from Kanjiža/Magyarkanizsa. I always wondered why didn't she chosen to study in Szeged for example. Many Romanians from Serbian Banat chosen to study in Timisoara, for free.
No hard feelings from me either, I know you a bit and I know how you see things. I just wanted to show you the other side of this issue.

Demigod of DLM

Alex_ZR liked this post
Old August 27th, 2014, 10:23 PM   #27306
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbcee View Post
No hard feelings from me either, I know you a bit and I know how you see things. I just wanted to show you the other side of this issue.
Once I've read an article related to such issue. The major plot was about hypothetical annexion of Bratislava by Hungary. The crucial question was, what would change:
- people would remain Slovaks
- they would speak Slovak in their homes
- they would speak Slovak with friends and neighbours
- they would speak Slovak with the clerks in offices, despite the language of official documents.

And Hungarian government would have no chance to change it with legislative manner.

The actual situation is alike but vice-versa.

Old August 27th, 2014, 10:27 PM   #27307
bogdymol
bogdymod

I think this is one of the first polite discussions about a 'hot topic' that I see on the internet. Proud of you guys
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog

nbcee, volodaaaa, Alex_ZR liked this post
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2014, 10:48 PM   #27308
nbcee
Machiavellian travesty

We've been commenting here for a while now and know that we are capable of having such discussions. Sure, there will always be topics which we will see differently but I don't expect any of us here to go on a "rampage".

@volodaaaa: If nothing extreme happens then those who live in "blocks" or who compose the majority of a village or town usually keep their language and culture. If they live sporadically they are more likely to be assimilated.

I mean if 5% of each village in a country is let's say "piresian" then they will be assimilated very quickly. However if 5% of the villages of that country are 100% "piresian" (and these villages are next to each other) then they can keep their identity for quite a long time. Of course there are always some exceptions but it usually goes like this.

Demigod of DLM
Old August 27th, 2014, 10:49 PM   #27309
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

I'm 38 years old...
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2014, 10:54 PM   #27310
volodaaaa

Old August 27th, 2014, 11:06 PM   #27311
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
And Hungarian government would have no chance to change it with legislative manner.
Yes. And actually I think we should not change it. It is alright. I think in such a case making Slovak as official language in that region would be a good decision.

I know, a lot of politicians don't think it so.

Actually in many cases the current rulers want to assimilate ethnical minorities in order to avoid separatism in the future.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2014, 11:08 PM   #27312
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
I'm 38 years old...
Today? :-)
Actually you don't look 38. I thought you were around 30.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2014, 12:22 AM   #27313
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
Today? :-)
Actually you don't look 38. I thought you were around 30.
I look younger than I am, I know , I also act younger than I am. Makes me a fun guy to be with, although upsetting to some. Actually, I've been 38 a while now, I was only making a statement, before someone on here starts throwing me a boney...
Old August 28th, 2014, 12:30 AM   #27314
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Happy birthday!
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2014, 12:40 AM   #27315
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
I look younger than I am, I know , I also act younger than I am. Makes me a fun guy to be with, although upsetting to some. Actually, I've been 38 a while now, I was only making a statement, before someone on here starts throwing me a boney...
I've been 38 since 2002....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2014, 12:42 AM   #27316
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18313

I've never been 38 yet
cinxxx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2014, 12:45 AM   #27317
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
I've never been 38 yet
Well, if you need any advice on what it's like you can always talk to me, and I'm sure Penn's Woods as well, son...
Old August 28th, 2014, 12:50 AM   #27318
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Many Sudtirolers study in Innsbruck.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2014, 12:54 AM   #27319
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Many Sudtirolers study in Innsbruck.
Many Europeans and Americans study in Innsbruck. Many Südtirolers use Innsbruck hospital and also use the airport and of course shopping. Many Italian taxi's around in Innsbruck
Old August 28th, 2014, 01:02 AM   #27320
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
I've been 38 since 2002....

I've been 0 since 1982.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways