daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 31st, 2014, 02:22 PM   #27381
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

I've read stories about people without telepass who drove close behind someone with telepass to exit without paying and they were caught by CCTV. I remember a case where a thief chased by the police drove at more than 100km\h through a gate, obviously breaking the bar.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 31st, 2014, 02:27 PM   #27382
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Foreigners can easily dodge the Italian tolls by just sitting there at the plaza not doing anything and holding up traffic. A human voice will come out of the machine eventually, presumably asking you what the problem is, but 9 out of 10 they speak Italian only so eventually the barrier will open. It happened to me twice as my ViaCard wasn't working...
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2014, 02:51 PM   #27383
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
I've read stories about people without telepass who drove close behind someone with telepass to exit without paying and they were caught by CCTV. I remember a case where a thief chased by the police drove at more than 100km\h through a gate, obviously breaking the bar.
this happens in HR too. it is problematic because what happens is that one vehicle gots read his device as higher class (i guess because of lenght of the vehicle, i think they ahve sensors for that too), and the other one's reciever isn't read at all, so it stucks.
Old August 31st, 2014, 03:18 PM   #27384
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
this happens in HR too. it is problematic because what happens is that one vehicle gots read his device as higher class (i guess because of lenght of the vehicle, i think they ahve sensors for that too), and the other one's reciever isn't read at all, so it stucks.
Exactly, sensors calculate the lenght of the vehicle to estabilish the toll class. However, if one follows a highest-class truck, the truck will still pay the same.
There were even episodes of truckers exchaging entry tickets at rest areas to pay less.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old August 31st, 2014, 04:20 PM   #27385
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2122

Quote:
I've read stories about people without telepass who drove close behind someone with telepass to exit without paying and they were caught by CCTV.
It happened to me once on the A32. Here you have only two toll barriers where you have to pay immediately, so no tickets at all. I payed my toll at a ViaCard entrance, and the car behind me just stayed real close and manage to cross without paying.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2014, 04:25 PM   #27386
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
It happened to me once on the A32. Here you have only two toll barriers where you have to pay immediately, so no tickets at all. I payed my toll at a ViaCard entrance, and the car behind me just stayed real close and manage to cross without paying.
Were you charged the correct amount or were you counted like a truck? You should have memorized his license plate...
Old August 31st, 2014, 04:32 PM   #27387
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

Quote:
happened to me too. i was just randomly checking my toll account where i can see all bills, and noticed that they have charged me larger amount than usual for certain section. i complaint and they paid me back on my account the difference in the price.

Italians, in the case of really high traffic and traffic jams, are Telepass Only lanes also full of stuck cars?
Old August 31st, 2014, 04:43 PM   #27388
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Were you charged the correct amount or were you counted like a truck? You should have memorized his license plate...
Gosh, I didn't pay much attention... I think I was charged the regular fare, but I'm not 100% sure.
Old August 31st, 2014, 04:45 PM   #27389
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Italians, in the case of really high traffic and traffic jams, are Telepass Only lanes also full of stuck cars?
If the queues extend before the point where the motorway becomes larger for the toll lanes, then yes.
Old August 31st, 2014, 04:45 PM   #27390
italystf

Quote:
It happens rarely and if there's queue on Telepass lane, it's still better than in non-Telepass lanes.
Old August 31st, 2014, 04:49 PM   #27391
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
If the queues extend before the point where the motorway becomes larger for the toll lanes, then yes.
Quote:
It happens rarely.
You changed your answer just in time, italyst, your first answer was no unless someone is blocking the lane.

Anyway, Especially around Milan it's one big queue to the toll plaza, no matter what lane you are going to use.
Old August 31st, 2014, 04:52 PM   #27392
Road_UK
BANNED

I always go through the cards-only lanes with my ViaCard. Generally no queues unless the whole road is queuing...
Old August 31st, 2014, 05:08 PM   #27393
bogdymol
bogdymod

I noticed at Italian toll plazas that credit-card lanes are faster than cash lanes, and many times empty while there was a small queue at cash lines.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2014, 05:10 PM   #27394
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
I always go through the cards-only lanes with my ViaCard. Generally no queues unless the whole road is queuing...
I don't use tolled motorways that often (and, purposly, almost never on Sturdays in summer) to make statistics, plus I don't have Telepass so I don't pay attention to traffic in that lane.
Today I entered this toll booth. 1st and 2nd lanes (from left) had 8-10 cars each, the 3rd was empty. Since it's a mixed Telepass\ticket lane, people though it was a Telepass only lane and didn't used it. Since I know the trick, I passed the entire queue on the right and went through.

Road_UK liked this post
Old August 31st, 2014, 05:11 PM   #27395
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
I noticed at Italian toll plazas that credit-card lanes are faster than cash lanes, and many times empty while there was a small queue at cash lines.
It's always like that, also in France. The general public appears to be afraid of unmanned machines. Also, people avoid lanes with two waiting lorries. They rather sit in a queue behind ten cars
Old August 31st, 2014, 05:14 PM   #27396
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
Firstly, there are more people who use cash instead of cards. Secondly, paying with cash requires more time: pull out the wallet, pull out the money, count your money, give them to the attendant, wait the attendant counting your money, receve change, count your change, put it in your wallet and then in your pocket... This when you don't drop some money on the floor and you need to open the car's door.
Old August 31st, 2014, 05:47 PM   #27397
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1756

Quote:
Firstly, there are more people who use cash instead of cards. Secondly, paying with cash requires more time: pull out the wallet, pull out the money, count your money, give them to the attendant, wait the attendant counting your money, receve change, count your change, put it in your wallet and then in your pocket... This when you don't drop some money on the floor and you need to open the car's door.
Does it allow contactless payment?

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2014, 05:50 PM   #27398
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

There are places in the U.S. - I-95 at the Delaware/Maryland line, for example - where E-ZPass customers go through at the highway speed limit. The device that detects your transponder is mounted overhead.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2014, 05:50 PM   #27399
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
Does it allow contactless payment?
In which sense?
Old August 31st, 2014, 06:25 PM   #27400
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
There are places in the U.S. - I-95 at the Delaware/Maryland line, for example - where E-ZPass customers go through at the highway speed limit. The device that detects your transponder is mounted overhead.
Indeed, you can pass these at 110 km/h and everything is fine, maybe it's just the Italian electronics instead of the American one (made in China!)
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways