daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 8th, 2014, 10:55 PM   #27461
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19398

Orcičres-Merlette ski resort in France. Apparently they have a lot of Hungarian bus drivers there.

Orcičres Merlette by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

nbcee liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 8th, 2014, 10:57 PM   #27462
nbcee
Machiavellian travesty

Likes (Received): 13998

Kind of an interesting way to write accentuated letters

Emperor of Bir Tawil and the Nbcee farmlands
Demigod of DLM

Verso liked this post
nbcee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2014, 11:06 PM   #27463
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Sometimes some nations go to specific places, like Russians to Rogaška Slatina in Slovenia. Once I saw plenty of Hungarian cars in Čezsoča. (they probably pronounced it [čežoča] )
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2014, 11:20 PM   #27464
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1750

Lol, I've just been given an e-mail invitation to participate in a conference held in Kharkiv. I would rather refuse to take a part, but it is kind of funny to see scientists completely isolated from reality :-) On the other hand, I like it. According to the invitations there will be lot of scientists from all over the world (Americans, Dutch, Germans, Poles, Ukrainians and Russians) together. And this is nice.

Given the fact it is few kilometres from the battle line, I am just wondering there is no mention about the guests safety at all.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2014, 11:21 PM   #27465
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Kharkiv is perfectly safe.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2014, 11:28 PM   #27466
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Kharkiv is more like 250 km from the battle zone.
Old September 8th, 2014, 11:34 PM   #27467
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1750

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Close enough for a wandering rocket launched by crazy paramilitary lunatics.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2014, 11:42 PM   #27468
ChrisZwolle
Road user

So is Bratislava in case of an ICBM
Old September 9th, 2014, 01:21 AM   #27469
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Likes (Received): 4063

Meanwhile in Polandhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=sANTC7oaaJg
Autoputevi kao hobi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2014, 11:49 AM   #27470
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
Close enough for a wandering rocket launched by crazy paramilitary lunatics.
In time of war in Bosnia people (including me) took summer vacation on Adriatic coast, even in places that were 100 km or less from the front lines.
Also your fellow Slovak.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2014, 09:08 PM   #27471
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

So maybe Putin will help liberate Scotland now?

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/09/...ide-nyt-region

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2014, 01:48 AM   #27472
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

Quote:
And less than 20 kms from the Russian border.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2014, 04:01 PM   #27473
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
[...]The Department of State warns U.S. citizens to defer all travel to the eastern regions of Donetsk and Luhansk.[...]The Department of State also warns U.S. citizens to defer all travel to the Crimean Peninsula, and to exercise caution in the regions of Odesa, Kharkhiv, Zaporizhia and Kherson.[...]
http://travel.state.gov/content/pass...l-warning.html
So, Kharkhiv is not that safe; it has a sizeable Russian minority and there is the risk of violence.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2014, 04:12 PM   #27474
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Kharkiv is perfectly safe.
Quote:
I have a co-worker who's from there. Not someone I'm close to, really, but a few days after the Maidan protests turned violent her mother died and her relatives advised her it wasn't safe to return home for the funeral. We're a small enough workplace that this piece of information was posted on our internal website (in the context of a please-offer-your-condolences-and-we're-taking-up-a-collection-for-I-forget-what piece). So next time I saw her I asked how her family was and once in a while since I'll do so.

Ran into her in the elevator maybe two weeks ago and I remarked "we're not hearing about Kharkov* any more" and she said something like it's really not any better, just not getting media attention. But this was one of those 30-second conversations in an elevator...didn't go any deeper.

*Yes, I called it KharkOV. Force of habit.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old September 10th, 2014, 04:27 PM   #27475
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
*Yes, I called it KharkOV. Force of habit.
Many transliterations are possible from Cyrillic, but the main issue here is not transliteration, but the choice of language. For example, Kiev is the transliteration of the Russian name of the city. The Ukrainian name transliterated is Kyiv (see today's banner). So which one you use could make people think you're taking sides even if you're not aware of it.

Other examples

Luhansk (UA) / Lugansk (RUS)
Dnipropetrovsk (UA) / Dnepropetrovsk (RUS)
Kyiv (UA) / Kiev (RUS)
Odesa (UA) / Odessa (RUS)

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

italystf liked this post
Old September 10th, 2014, 04:29 PM   #27476
italystf

What's the difference between the two spellings?

EDIT: Chris already explained.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old September 10th, 2014, 04:32 PM   #27477
italystf

However everyone here writes Kiev, also on TV, newspapers,... if one writes Kyiv most people won't understand which city is it.
Old September 10th, 2014, 04:35 PM   #27478
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Name changes take a very long time to get used among the general populace, whether it's a skyscraper, person or placename. Many people still use Alma-Ata (the former capital of Kazakhstan) which is known as Almaty since 1993.
Old September 10th, 2014, 04:42 PM   #27479
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Many transliterations are possible from Cyrillic, but the main issue here is not transliteration, but the choice of language. For example, Kiev is the transliteration of the Russian name of the city. The Ukrainian name transliterated is Kyiv (see today's banner). So which one you use could make people think you're taking sides even if you're not aware of it.

Other examples

Luhansk (UA) / Lugansk (RUS)
Dnipropetrovsk (UA) / Dnepropetrovsk (RUS)
Kyiv (UA) / Kiev (RUS)
Odesa (UA) / Odessa (RUS)
I understand that, and I don't know what this woman's view of the politics of the situation is and haven't wanted to ask. (She did once describe Kharki/ov as "our first capital.") I know she speaks Russian, she's a member of the sizable "Russian"-immigrant community in Philadelphia most of whom, apparently, are actually from (the) Ukraine, and many of whom are Jewish. And a Russian-speaking Ukrainian could still be anti-Russian-intervention.... And if they're over here, of course, and especially if they're Jewish, they may not have a lot of sympathy for either side of "leaders."

May come down to my age: I've been seeing these places on maps since Soviet times when the (transliterated) Russian version was all you saw.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old September 10th, 2014, 04:42 PM   #27480
italystf

Quote:
Name changes take a very long time to get used among the general populace, whether it's a skyscraper, person or placename. Many people still use Alma-Ata (the former capital of Kazakhstan) which is known as Almaty since 1993.
Sometimes you still hear people who fill the tank or go to holiday in Yugoslavia! And once I heard Czechoslovakia in a television service about outsourcing of industrial production in Eastern Europe (it was mentioned in a list together with Poland, Hungary, Romania,...).

Tags
highways, motorways