daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 11th, 2014, 10:50 PM   #27521
KøbenhavnK

Likes (Received): 355

Respect to Dutch policing.

The officer reaches for the handcuffs and let's the situation calm down.

In many countries the guy with the sledge hammer would have gotten blown away.

We just have a situation today in Denmark with two policemen sitting on top of a guy in handcuffs who some spectators say is shouting that he cannot breathe. The police respond by emptying a pepper spray into his eyes to make him shut up.

I feel good to know that I live in the country on Earth with the best police. But it does bother me that everyone who come into contact with them say otherwise....
KøbenhavnK no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 11th, 2014, 11:25 PM   #27522
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

I've been told that Denmark has the most brutal police force in Western Europe. Even the Germans are warning its citizens to stay in line in Denmark...
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2014, 11:26 PM   #27523
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
It is not fun when it comes to gas. Remembering the case from Frenštát pod Radhoštem Czech Republic:

Before 16th february of 2013:

After 16th february of 2013:

Insane man in dept killed 6 people.

We had similar individual in our house. Fortunately he has alternative house where to live and he sell his apartment this week.
And what about that psychotic Ghanese guy living in Milan, who around a year ago killed three random people in the street with a pick?
In that case they were lucky that the guy destroyed only his own car, but a mentally ill man like him could have used the axe against other people. Or he could have driven his car over someone else. When someone is mentally ill, one can expect everything from him, especially if he has already shown some aggressive behavior.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2014, 11:39 PM   #27524
Surel

Likes (Received): 2154

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
I've been told that Denmark has the most brutal police force in Western Europe. Even the Germans are warning its citizens to stay in line in Denmark...
Interesting. When the young Danes went drinking to Prague during the spring school holiday, the second time it was agreed that couple Danish police officers went with them to calm it down .

Danish police in Prague.

Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2014, 11:43 PM   #27525
italystf

During the Oktoberfest there is a group of Italian police too. They're usually from South Tyrol, since they know both languages and may act as interpreters between Italian visitors and the German police, in case of troubles.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old September 11th, 2014, 11:44 PM   #27526
italystf

Road_UK, piotr71 liked this post
Old September 11th, 2014, 11:46 PM   #27527
Surel

Likes (Received): 2154

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Most cases don't even get to a judge. I once had a neighbor a couple of apartments apart who was mentally ill (under psychosis sometimes) and he wrecked a lot of windows of the public part of the building. He was under treatment by a psychiatrist, but this is usually voluntary.

We wanted to get rid of him, but we couldn't because he was not a 'demonstrable risk'. That changed when he burned down a moped and filled his apartment with gas. He was then detained by police and then admitted to involuntary commitment, as they call it. Basically a mental institution run like a prison.
This is actually becoming a widespread problem in the Netherlands as there are not so many mental institutions and in fact the government is limiting the funds for them.

The approach is to place such people in normal houses amongst the rest of the population and arranging some professional help visiting them.

Indeed the police needs first to make a serious case to step in. Many people just give up and move away rather then expecting the authorities to do anything. I heard several such stories already.

Luckily, we don't seem to be bothered by anyone.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2014, 12:44 AM   #27528
italystf

Trucker demolish a pedestrian overpass in Turkey http://notizie.tiscali.it/videonews/216458/Esteri/
Old September 12th, 2014, 12:56 AM   #27529
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 746

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
I was on as short bike trip in mountains above Bratislava yesterday and accidentally found a small memorial devoted to Bulgarian plane crash victims. I had had no knowledge on that crash, but later read it was one of the most tragic flight disasters in Czechoslovakia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TABSO_Flight_101

The most paradox is the name of the hill where the plane crashed: it is called Sakrakopec and means literally Damn-hill. I went there intentionally, because I wanted to know, how the damn hill would look. And found this.
It is a tragedy, but it is kind of curious in a karmic way considering what the (well some) bastard Bulgarians did about 10 years earlier:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Al_Flight_402
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2014, 12:58 AM   #27530
KøbenhavnK

Likes (Received): 355

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
I stay away from them. As do all other people that know people who have been in contact with them (apart from jay walking and speeding I don't break any laws).

Unfortunately this sick culture has been able to develop because the police are serving the Ministry of Justice. Which also employs the prosecutors and the judges.

One big happy family.

Good luck filing a complaint....
KøbenhavnK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2014, 10:27 AM   #27531
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2086

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
And if we are at the subject, it was posted by my finacee on her FB (she is a psychiatrist)
Ah, I see now.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2014, 10:57 AM   #27532
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18298

It's not that I keep her side, it's just that I know more info from the inside than others...
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2014, 07:17 PM   #27533
aubergine72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
It is a tragedy, but it is kind of curious in a karmic way considering what the (well some) bastard Bulgarians did about 10 years earlier:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Al_Flight_402
Who's fault is it that the Israeli pilots got fresh and didn't obey the military jets? It was a terrible thing to do but it's hard to imagine that Israel wouldn't do the same if a foreign plane ignored its commands.
aubergine72 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2014, 07:28 PM   #27534
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Meanwhile in Romania...
Old September 12th, 2014, 08:59 PM   #27535
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 3990

It seems that they haven't heared for something like this:

Or the bunch of asphalt is more effective?
Alex_ZR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2014, 09:42 PM   #27536
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

I think I saw asphalt bumpers in Serbia while I drove there.
They were better signed and had a more normal shape, but still annoying as hell.
Old September 12th, 2014, 09:52 PM   #27537
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Likes (Received): 4063

Road bumpers have always been annoying.
Autoputevi kao hobi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2014, 11:09 PM   #27538
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1748

We have several concrete ones in Slovakia. But more popular are the collapsible ones. I asked for one in 2010 to the road in front of our house, wrongly used as a shortcut. It actually worked but not as I'd desired. So now is one-way street under consideration.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2014, 11:16 PM   #27539
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Once I drove somewhere for the first time, so I didn't know the road. There was a car in front of me and as we were approaching the end-of-village sign (speed limit raised from 50 to 90 km/h), it started slowing down. I thought 'wtf' and decided to overtake it. When I raised my speed and started overtaking, I saw a speed bump in the last moment. I made a nice jump. But seriously, what a stupid place for a speed bump.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2014, 11:23 PM   #27540
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Once I drove somewhere for the first time, so I didn't know the road. There was a car in front of me and as we were approaching the end-of-village sign (speed limit raised from 50 to 90 km/h), it started slowing down. I thought 'wtf' and decided to overtake it. When I raised my speed and started overtaking, I saw a speed bump in the last moment. I made a nice jump. But seriously, what a stupid place for a speed bump.
What about these two?
https://www.google.sk/maps/@48.16913...Omkg!2e0?hl=sk

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways