daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 19th, 2014, 10:06 PM   #27601
radamfi

Likes (Received): 58

Hasn't Hungary heard of global overpopulation?

My father is Hungarian and used to boast to me when I was growing up (in the 80s) that Hungarians were proud of not having many children, unlike 'feckless' British teenage girls who couldn't stop getting pregnant.
radamfi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 19th, 2014, 10:14 PM   #27602
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19397

A country will get into major problems if the fertility rate remains below replacement level for a longer period of time. Overpopulation is bad, but so is a fast population decline, because it makes the social systems unaffordable. The working (tax-paying) population will become too small compared to the elderly population.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ageing_of_Europe
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2014, 10:15 PM   #27603
nbcee
Machiavellian travesty

Likes (Received): 13998

Quote:
Originally Posted by radamfi View Post

My father is Hungarian and used to boast to me when I was growing up (in the 80s) that Hungarians were proud of not having many children, unlike 'feckless' British teenage girls who couldn't stop getting pregnant.
If there is a flood in another country that doesn't mean your house can't be on fire.

Nowadays a bit higher Total Fertility Rate would be preferable for us and this tax system tries to encourage that.

Emperor of Bir Tawil and the Nbcee farmlands
Demigod of DLM
nbcee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2014, 10:29 PM   #27604
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbcee View Post
According to the Hungarian Central Statistical Office (KSH) the average net wage was 153 939 HUF in the first half of 2014 which is ~500 EUR.

http://www.ksh.hu/docs/hun/xstadat/x.../e_qli030.html
But consider that quite many people work semi-legal, i.e. they have an official labour relation but their salary is on paper significantly lower than in reality, in order to pay less tax. These people pull the statistical average down.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2014, 11:00 PM   #27605
radamfi

I bet an extra 80,000 forint doesn't cover the cost of having 3 kids, even in Hungary. Searching for 'cost of raising a child' shows the cost is 245,000 USD to age 18 or 225,000 GBP to age 21. Imagine how much money you would have if you invested that money.
Old September 19th, 2014, 11:15 PM   #27606
nbcee
Machiavellian travesty

Likes (Received): 13998

While an extra 80k HUF can't cover all the costs of raising 3 kids, it's certainly a noticeable amount of help together with other benefits (like free schoolbooks for example). As you already hinted, costs of living differ from country to country.And I presume the figures in GBP and USD come from the UK and the USA. According to a recent study it's 13-15M HUF in Hungary in case the kid gets a college degree.

Average monthly costs of a child by age:

the columns show figures for babies, day-nursery, kindergarten, primary school, high school, uni/coll

Emperor of Bir Tawil and the Nbcee farmlands
Demigod of DLM
nbcee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2014, 11:25 PM   #27607
aubergine72

Quote:

So how come he had you?
aubergine72 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2014, 11:26 PM   #27608
radamfi

Do those costs in Hungary include lost income due to one partner having to give up work, or paying for child care, or having to buy or rent a bigger house?

Doesn't every country give free school books? Maybe the USA doesn't.
Old September 19th, 2014, 11:27 PM   #27609
radamfi

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubergine72 View Post
So how come he had you?
My mum insisted!
Old September 20th, 2014, 12:22 AM   #27610
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18302

cinxxx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2014, 12:48 AM   #27611
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Quote:
Considering global standard of living is at highest it has ever been, number of people starving is at its lowest, and rich countries have obesity problem if anything, overpopulation does not exist.
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2014, 01:16 AM   #27612
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
....Doesn't every country give free school books? Maybe the USA doesn't.
We did when I was growing up.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2014, 10:56 AM   #27613
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post

Brdo pri Kranju is a protocol place where you usually see presidents and prime ministers.
All I saw were scientists, golfers and children having birthday parties :-)
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2014, 12:07 PM   #27614
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Likes (Received): 4063

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
What language sre people apeaking on this video ?
Isn't it Turkish ?
Autoputevi kao hobi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2014, 12:14 PM   #27615
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1750

As for the Hungarian topic:

There are at least three grades of lies in all:
- lies
- greater lies
- statistics

The value of average net salary in Hungary says absolutely nothing.

An example. The average net salary in Bratislava region is about 1000 Eur. Comparing it with the rest of Slovakia, where are regions with 400 Eur net salary, we definitely look like the richest region in whole Slovakia.

But the value includes bunch (perhaps few tens) of people working as senior managers or CEOs of companies with headquarters here, with the income higher than 10 000 Eur (!). It completely distorts the statistics. Taking the living standards and cost into account, we are not much richer than the rest of Slovakia (excluding the settlers areas of course). Visually Hungary looks much richer than Slovakia or Czech republic to me. I've never been in eastern Hungary, which is reportedly poorer, but the area in triangle Vienna-Bratislava-Budapest looks completely alike and more occidental or Austria-like

nbcee liked this post
volodaaaa está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2014, 01:26 PM   #27616
radamfi

It is best to look at median income rather than mean income. That way, you remove the distortion caused by a few very high earners.
Old September 20th, 2014, 01:35 PM   #27617
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Yep. But an adjustment for the cost of living is an interesting, and often overlooked issue when comparing cities or countries. For example, San Francisco has a very high median income, but also extremely high median housing prices (in excess of $ 1 million), so when adjusted for cost of living, the income is not as high. It is generally understood that Houston has the highest - adjusted for cost of living - income among the large cities in the United States.
Old September 20th, 2014, 02:32 PM   #27618
radamfi

When comparing GDP between two countries, you can measure it at purchasing power parity per capita, which attempts to adjust for the cost of living.

According to Wikipedia, here is the GDP per capita (nominal) for a few selected countries:

Netherlands $47,633
UK $39,567
Hungary $13,404

When adjusted for PPP, these become

Netherlands $41,711
UK $37,307
Hungary $20,065

This suggests that the cost of living is highest in NL, then UK, then HU. Measuring by PPP narrows the gap between the three countries. That's a reasonable guide for the average person, but if you live a particularly frugal life, for example if you have no kids and choose to live in a shared house, the cost of living becomes less relevant.
Old September 20th, 2014, 03:17 PM   #27619
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The cost of living adjustment is often made on a country basis, while the cost of living could fluctuate wildly within a country as well, for example California and New York lose a lot of population through domestic migration (more people moving from California or New York than to those states). This is often replenished by international migration (and sometimes, natural population growth). These trends can be quite significant over a longer period of time.
Old September 20th, 2014, 03:18 PM   #27620
radamfi

Another thing to watch when comparing cities is where the city boundary is drawn in relation to its urban/metro area. If I search for "San Francisco cost of housing" in Google, I get the following in a box right at the top of the search listings:

Quote:
The median list price per square foot in San Francisco is $788, which is higher than the San Francisco Metro average of $410. The median price of homes currently listed in San Francisco is $899,000 while the median price of homes that sold is $999,200.
Wikipedia shows the population of the consolidated city-county of San Francisco to be 837,442, and the metro area as 4,516,276. So you could live in the wider Bay Area at considerably less cost than in the city proper, whilst still taking advantage of highly paid employment in the city itself.

Houston appears to have more of its urban/metro area within the city itself compared to San Francisco (2.2M in the city, 4.9M urban, 6.3M metro), which might partly account for why average housing costs appear to be cheaper.

Tags
highways, motorways