daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 20th, 2014, 03:24 PM   #27621
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

It's a choice between extremely unaffordable housing at the hottest locations, or affordable, but distant housing further east. Both have their disadvantages.

It's not only a demand/supply issue. The housing market in some hot locations resembles a commodity market, where housing is used as an investment to drive up prices. There was recently a documentary about Toronto, where a large proportion of new condos is not permanently inhabited, and often of poor construction quality. They are used by investors to park their money and make a profit. However, this comes at the expense of ordinary citizens.

I think it's a real problem if you can't afford to buy or rent a home by yourself even if you have a decent-paying full-time job. Raising the minimum wage to $ 15 in San Francisco won't help much in that aspect, you still need like 5 full-time jobs to afford a house there
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 20th, 2014, 03:51 PM   #27622
radamfi

Likes (Received): 58

On my regional TV news (covering London and surrounding area) we often get reports of how rich foreigners (especially Russians and Asians) are buying flats in exclusive parts of London and only living there a few days a year. Local residents complain that their local areas have turned into ghost towns as so few people are around. Average asking prices in the two most expensive London boroughs (Kensington & Chelsea and Westminster) are now £2.4 million and £1.6 million. Obviously normal people can't afford that kind of money. This has driven average house prices in Greater London to over £500,000.

In the biggest cities like London, it is probably too unrealistic to be able to live near work if you work in the city centre, so commuting a fair distance is inevitable. When we wanted to by a flat in 1997, when we were both working in central London, we could have bought a flat quite close to the centre, but it would still have been around a 30-40 minute commute. So it seemed logical to move to a commuter town 50 km from the centre and benefit from much lower property prices, yet still have a reasonably fast train journey.
radamfi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2014, 04:10 PM   #27623
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18299

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputevi kao hobi View Post
What language sre people apeaking on this video ?
Isn't it Turkish ?
I think it's rather Romanian, spoken by gypsies (from the accent and appearance).
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2014, 04:16 PM   #27624
nbcee
Machiavellian travesty

Likes (Received): 13997

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
But the value includes bunch (perhaps few tens) of people working as senior managers or CEOs of companies with headquarters here, with the income higher than 10 000 Eur (!). It completely distorts the statistics. Taking the living standards and cost into account, we are not much richer than the rest of Slovakia (excluding the settlers areas of course). Visually Hungary looks much richer than Slovakia or Czech republic to me. I've never been in eastern Hungary, which is reportedly poorer, but the area in triangle Vienna-Bratislava-Budapest looks completely alike and more occidental or Austria-like
Bratislava and a few other Slovakian cities (especially those which have car factories) are comparable to Central BP or some of our rich towns like Győr. However the more I go to the east the quality drops significantly and in the end there is Lunik IX.

In Hungary you still have huge differences between the regions but to my experiences the contrast is a bit higher within Slovakia.

Emperor of Bir Tawil and the Nbcee farmlands
Demigod of DLM

Last edited by nbcee; September 20th, 2014 at 07:01 PM.
nbcee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2014, 05:13 PM   #27625
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Likes (Received): 4063

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
I think it's rather Romanian, spoken by gypsies (from the accent and appearance).
Maybe...
Autoputevi kao hobi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2014, 07:54 PM   #27626
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Yep. But an adjustment for the cost of living is an interesting, and often overlooked issue when comparing cities or countries. For example, San Francisco has a very high median income, but also extremely high median housing prices (in excess of $ 1 million), so when adjusted for cost of living, the income is not as high. It is generally understood that Houston has the highest - adjusted for cost of living - income among the large cities in the United States.
You see this in Toronto and Montreal. Typical salary for same job in Toronto is 20% higher. Gasoline is 10% cheaper, electricity is like 200% higher and taxes are generally lower. But, your house will cost 30-40% more.
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2014, 08:26 PM   #27627
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1748

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbcee View Post
Bratislava and a few other Slovakian cities (especially those which have car factories) are comparable to Central BP or some of our rich towns like Győr. However the more I go to the east the quality drops significantly and in the end there is Lunik IX.

In Hungary you still have huge differences between the regions but to my experiences the contrast is a bit higher within Slovakia.
Right. I'm still getting shocked for the differences.

nbcee liked this post
volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2014, 10:01 PM   #27628
radamfi

As I said earlier, I am half Hungarian, my dad was born in Oroshaza, however I have only ever lived in the UK and only have British nationality. Is it possible for me to acquire Hungarian nationality as well? I am concerned that the UK might leave the EU in the next few years, which might mean I am unable to emigrate to the Netherlands, which has been my plan for a number of years. Or at least it might not be as easy as it is now. So if I am also Hungarian, I would still be an EU citizen and so I would still enjoy freedom of movement.

Unfortunately my father died 20 years ago and I lost contact with the Hungarian side of my family after that, primarily because of the language barrier.
Old September 20th, 2014, 10:11 PM   #27629
Kanadzie

I think it would be extremely difficult to acquire Hungarian nationality without language ability, but I wouldn`t worry about the UK going out of the EU either.
Old September 20th, 2014, 10:47 PM   #27630
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1748

I would be simpler: The chances UK will leave EU and you will learn Hungarian are equal so don't worry.

Penn's Woods, nbcee liked this post
volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2014, 11:08 PM   #27631
radamfi

The roadside rest area

But some major UK parties are promising an 'in out' referendum on EU membership.
Old September 20th, 2014, 11:27 PM   #27632
Kanadzie

Think of the worst case scenario, you have UK citizenship, UK is non-EU country and you want to move to NL. I am not sure of Dutch immigration laws but surely if you`re British and decent (educated, having some money) you should have little problem moving there.
Old September 21st, 2014, 12:24 AM   #27633
nbcee
Machiavellian travesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
Right. I'm still getting shocked for the differences.
It was quite interesting for me too. I'm not trying to bash Slovakia or anything I'm just saying that according to what I've seen the rich are richer and the poor are poorer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by radamfi View Post
As I said earlier, I am half Hungarian, my dad was born in Oroshaza, however I have only ever lived in the UK and only have British nationality. Is it possible for me to acquire Hungarian nationality as well? I am concerned that the UK might leave the EU in the next few years, which might mean I am unable to emigrate to the Netherlands, which has been my plan for a number of years. Or at least it might not be as easy as it is now. So if I am also Hungarian, I would still be an EU citizen and so I would still enjoy freedom of movement.

Unfortunately my father died 20 years ago and I lost contact with the Hungarian side of my family after that, primarily because of the language barrier.
Don't worry, it's quite easy to acquire Hungarian citizenship though you'll need to learn at least some Hungarian first.

Demigod of DLM
Old September 21st, 2014, 01:17 PM   #27634
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

Quote:
Originally Posted by radamfi View Post
On my regional TV news (covering London and surrounding area) we often get reports of how rich foreigners (especially Russians and Asians) are buying flats in exclusive parts of London and only living there a few days a year. Local residents complain that their local areas have turned into ghost towns as so few people are around. Average asking prices in the two most expensive London boroughs (Kensington & Chelsea and Westminster) are now £2.4 million and £1.6 million. Obviously normal people can't afford that kind of money. This has driven average house prices in Greater London to over £500,000.

In the biggest cities like London, it is probably too unrealistic to be able to live near work if you work in the city centre, so commuting a fair distance is inevitable. When we wanted to by a flat in 1997, when we were both working in central London, we could have bought a flat quite close to the centre, but it would still have been around a 30-40 minute commute. So it seemed logical to move to a commuter town 50 km from the centre and benefit from much lower property prices, yet still have a reasonably fast train journey.
there is stuff a government can certainly do about that problem.
-first there is decentralization, making othere places beside London equaly tempting to live
-then there is building more appartment buldings so there is more offer than demand
-and regulation of the real estate market, they can limitate 3rd country (except eu) citizens buying possibilities

AsHalt liked this post
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2014, 03:41 PM   #27635
radamfi

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbcee View Post
Don't worry, it's quite easy to acquire Hungarian citizenship though you'll need to learn at least some Hungarian first.
Just seen this BBC news article, about how lots of people, notably Serbs, have acquired Hungarian citizenship thanks to a relaxation in the law.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-24848361

Learning a bit of Hungarian is fair enough, however how good do you have to be? The BBC article suggests that only a passable knowledge of Hungarian is acceptable.

Apart from insurance against the UK leaving the EU, it would also be good to be able to travel within Europe without having to carry my UK passport, and instead just use a Hungarian ID card.
Old September 21st, 2014, 04:36 PM   #27636
nbcee
Machiavellian travesty

First of all though there have been some instances where people got citizenship who weren't able to speak Hungarian and who most likely did it for EU job opportunities - there were a few articles about it this week too. But saying that this is all this thing is about - well that would be too harsh. 500,000 - which is now more than 600,000 - is a big number indeed. But despite "While Romania and Slovakia are already in the EU, the value of a Hungarian passport is inestimable for a Serbian citizen" most of these people are living in Romania. Which indicates that the great majority of these people did it for emotional reasons.

If we look at the data from 2013: When the total number was 422,870, roughly 283,000 were from Romania, 76,000 from Serbia and 50,000 from Ukraine and a few hundred from Slovakia (mostly because the Fico government would strip them of their Slovak citizenship). If we look at the figures for the Hungarian diaspora (1,227,623 in Ro, 458,467 in Sk, 253,899 in Sr and 156,600 in Ukr) then we can see that it (with the exception of Slovakia for the reason mentioned above) correlates with the aforementioned numbers so it's not a far-fetched statement that most of these people are ethnic Hungarians.

Anyway I never understood the over-the-top criticism coming from certain politicians. First of all Germany is doing a similar thing, like it is mentioned in the article Romania does the same thing (mostly to people living in Moldova), etc.. And those "irredentist claims" are just BS. I mean just look at the situation in Romania: a few hundred thousand people got a paper they wanted and it hurt nobody.

Demigod of DLM

JackFrost liked this post
Old September 24th, 2014, 12:08 AM   #27637
Orionol
Mötesplatsen

Likes (Received): 263

Could someone help me?

Today I saw an American registration plate with wheat fields on the background, here in Sweden. From which state is it from? I couldn't read the plate correctly (maybe it's about time to get glasses). Also is this plate a real American one or a fiction made??

Appreciate the help.
Old September 24th, 2014, 12:38 AM   #27638
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Can't think where it would be (no one seems to be using a wheat field design currently), but browse through here: http://www.15q.net/

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2014, 01:08 AM   #27639
Kanadzie

Saskatchewan plate has 3 ears of wheat, not quite a field
Old September 24th, 2014, 01:57 AM   #27640
riiga

Likes (Received): 126

Manitoba?