daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 2nd, 2014, 11:40 PM   #27741
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1819

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Yes, I still have to use it at work. Even frigging Internet Explorer 8 because the techies can't upgrade some software to a newer version. Every website I visit at work says 'you're running an unsupported browser'.

But at home, I use Open Office.
I'm sorry but Open Office is crap. I tried it for a while but the usability is still at MS Office 2003 levels. Office 2007 was a huge improvement once you got used to it and that's still my main office program. I use it at home and most workplaces also use it so it's easy to get things done.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 2nd, 2014, 11:46 PM   #27742
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

I agree with you. i use Open Office at work and it suck big time. MS Office is way more serious package.
Old October 2nd, 2014, 11:49 PM   #27743
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21232

For simple office functions, Google Docs does a good job, actually.

For more complex uses, OPen Office is seriously lacking. Its formula packages are limited, using matrix references is a PITA and also limited. Also, several third-party softwares are compatible only Office, not with other office suites.

-------------

On another note, there is a forum stalker really annoying me on SSC
Old October 3rd, 2014, 12:48 AM   #27744
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Quote:
Yes, I still have to use it at work. Even frigging Internet Explorer 8 because the techies can't upgrade some software to a newer version. Every website I visit at work says 'you're running an unsupported browser'.

But at home, I use Open Office.
Haha, we just upgraded from MS Office 2000 a few month ago
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2014, 09:00 AM   #27745
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1748

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post

I agree with you. i use Open Office at work and it suck big time. MS Office is way more serious package.
As well as Libre Office. Especially Excel, assuming you are not employing functions like SUM and AVERAGE merely, is a fantastic and unique tool.

Several days ago, I've installed WPS Office on my Android tablet (sometimes I need to work in limited conditions, so I use tablet as a notebook (I'd even purchased the hardware keyboard with mouse)), which is perfect so far. It is, nevertheless, still good only for minor changes in my office files and I still don't dare to edit original files, but create new (in WPS Office edited) files, so I don't lose data due to compatibility failure.

volodaaaa está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2014, 11:57 AM   #27746
JMBasquiat

Likes (Received): 4695

MS Office is simply the best tool out there, bar none. You may be able to get away with Open Office/Libre Office/iWork for certain types of documents (iWork is especially good for presentations), but MS Office is the Photoshop of the office world. It's just much, much better and more feature complete than anything else.

Now, if you don't need it for anything complex there's no reason to buy MS Office when alternatives can do just as well (writing a paper, for example).
JMBasquiat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2014, 12:17 PM   #27747
x-type
con los terroristas

btw, do you meet at your workplaces with people who use Excel for purposes that it isn't actually made for? i do and it pisses me off. making simple tables with using no functions (actually, you can use simple functions even in MS Word tables!), i have requeste every day fo that. but top of the tops was when last week one guy asked me to make some simple presentation in Excel. it should have been printable, so Powerpoint was not the best option. i have made it perfectly in Word, inserted some photos, some text boxes, looked perfectly. but no. he insisted on Excel
i gave up, didn't want to do it because it actually insulted my mind. he made it himself finally. it actually lookd ok, but imo it is very unprofessional. for instance, he wrote text in stretched cells, and when the cell would become too stretched, he would simply interrupt it and start writing remaining part of the sentence in the other cell
Old October 3rd, 2014, 12:22 PM   #27748
volodaaaa

Quote:
btw, do you meet at your workplaces with people who use Excel for purposes that it isn't actually made for? i do and it pisses me off. making simple tables with using no functions (actually, you can use simple functions even in MS Word tables!), i have requeste every day fo that. but top of the tops was when last week one guy asked me to make some simple presentation in Excel. it should have been printable, so Powerpoint was not the best option. i have made it perfectly in Word, inserted some photos, some text boxes, looked perfectly. but no. he insisted on Excel
i gave up, didn't want to do it because it actually insulted my mind. he made it himself finally. it actually lookd ok, but imo it is very unprofessional. for instance, he wrote text in stretched cells, and when the cell would become too stretched, he would simply interrupt it and start writing remaining part of the sentence in the other cell
My uncle used to employ Excel for writing documents He fit the A1 cell to the screen, set "wrapped text" on and that is it.

Old October 3rd, 2014, 12:38 PM   #27749
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2101

At my workplace they use excel to do science... I refused, it is memory inefficient and you can't control variables. Plus, the regression lines are mathematically wrong. I moved everything to Mathematica and R
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2014, 02:50 PM   #27750
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2014, 03:36 PM   #27751
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21232

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
At my workplace they use excel to do science... I refused, it is memory inefficient and you can't control variables. Plus, the regression lines are mathematically wrong. I moved everything to Mathematica and R
Do you prefer Mathematica to Matlab?

I used Mathematica during undergraduate studies, tried Maple and hated it, then I've been sticking with Matlab (and sometimes STATA) ever since.
Old October 3rd, 2014, 04:14 PM   #27752
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Do you prefer Mathematica to Matlab?

I used Mathematica during undergraduate studies, tried Maple and hated it, then I've been sticking with Matlab (and sometimes STATA) ever since.
It's been a while since I last used Matlab, but as I recall Mathematica and Matlab do different things... I use Mathematica mostly for symbolic evaluation, don't remember Matlab doing this...

Anyway, most of the things I can do with Matlab, I do with R, free and open source... (Matlab is superior, I know, but R is ok for what I have to do)
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2014, 04:24 PM   #27753
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19376

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss View Post
I'm sorry but Open Office is crap. I tried it for a while but the usability is still at MS Office 2003 levels. Office 2007 was a huge improvement once you got used to it and that's still my main office program. I use it at home and most workplaces also use it so it's easy to get things done.
I don't know what you do at home with Office, but I only use it for simple things, so Open Office is fine for that. At least better than dishing out € 119 for 1 Microsoft Office 2013 license.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2014, 05:14 PM   #27754
volodaaaa

Quote:
I don't know what you do at home with Office, but I only use it for simple things, so Open Office is fine for that. At least better than dishing out € 119 for 1 Microsoft Office 2013 license.
I think 50 € would be accurate for Office.

Old October 3rd, 2014, 05:22 PM   #27755
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19376

It probably varies by country. I looked up a major internet retailer in the Netherlands and they quote € 119 for a license.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2014, 05:23 PM   #27756
italystf

Likes (Received): 2184

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
I think 50 € would be accurate for Office.
The main issue of not having MS Office (or having a basic version of it including only Word, Excel and PowerPoint), is the impossibility of opening Access and Publisher files. There are free online PDF converters for those files, though.
Open Office can replace Word, Excel and PowerPoint, at least if you don't need advanced functions.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2014, 06:35 PM   #27757
volodaaaa

Quote:
It probably varies by country. I looked up a major internet retailer in the Netherlands and they quote € 119 for a license.
It is 99 € per licence. But now I've noticed it is valid for 5 computers . It is not that bad. I'm actually using 2007 my mum was given in her work as Christmas gift.

Edit: it is for 1 year... thank you very much. I confused it with 365 version

MS Office 2013 Home and Business = 269 €
MS Office 2013 Professional = 539 €
MS Office 2013 Home and Student = 139 € (incl. only Word, Excel, Powepoint and OneNote)
:-/

Old October 3rd, 2014, 07:37 PM   #27758
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Is classic GMaps still available? You know, the one that actually permitted you to move along a road? Last time I was in GMaps, I got a prompt that permitted me to go to the old version. Now, it's not there.

, Google!

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2014, 08:38 PM   #27759
x-type
con los terroristas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Is classic GMaps still available? You know, the one that actually permitted you to move along a road? Last time I was in GMaps, I got a prompt that permitted me to go to the old version. Now, it's not there.

, Google!
they are. just find settings button down at the right side (looks like gear wheel). there you can find option "turn back to old google maps". you will get 1000 questions "are you sure", but just press yes
and don't forget when you turn back to the old view, at the upper part of map you will have yellow bar with option to remember your choice for next time - press yes of course.
Old October 3rd, 2014, 08:41 PM   #27760
italystf

Likes (Received): 2184

Quote:
Excel works well to make large tables without long texts (you can manage a larger number of lines and columns more easily than in Word), but if you have to print them it's better to use Word, since pages are already sized for A4 sheets, and the table appears also on the printed paper.
BTW, Power Point presentations are easily printable if they have a good layout (i.e. no text very close to the edge, since it would fall outside the sheet), as long you don't mind having printed papers in a horizontal way.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

Last edited by italystf; October 3rd, 2014 at 08:49 PM.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways