daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 5th, 2014, 03:07 PM   #27781
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21254

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I found this interesting... Many people in eastern EU live in a house they own, and do not pay rent or mortgage for. This is an interesting perspective, because in western EU you spend a lot of your income on either rent or mortgage. I spend about 30% of my net income on rent.

Technically, there are very few directly subsidized rental properties in Netherlands, but several million people get huurtoeslag, which is a subsidy that helps households earning up to ~€ 34.000/year to offset part of the cost of rental if the rent is lower than ~ € 705 (I might be slightly wrong about the thresholds). I think almost half of renters get some "huurtoeslag"

Sponsored Links
Old October 5th, 2014, 03:12 PM   #27782
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1756

I think eastern europeans have problem with the 'hotel mama' issue. E.g the average age when a young person leave the parents is very high.

Share of 25-35yrs old living with parents

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2014, 03:22 PM   #27783
Surel

Likes (Received): 2156

I am not so sure if it is actually a problem. It is a different approach. It has advantages and disadvantages. You have many families where different generations live very close each other, or even in the same house. And when the parents get old, the children are there to help them and take care for them. The grandparetns are there to help raising the grandchildren, so that the productive generation can devote their time to their work.... etc etc.

Young unmarried, uncoupled people living at their parent's house allow for lower housing costs which allows for higher savings and possibility to investing into housing without getting indebted.... etc...

It is bit different approach as to what constitutes a family and what are the priorities. The society is less individualistic in the family matters.

As you see it is more a cultural thing than economical thing. Look e.g. at Austria.

bozenBDJ liked this post
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2014, 03:31 PM   #27784
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19424

I moved out at 19. It's quite uncommon in the Netherlands to still live with your parents beyond age 25.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2014, 03:38 PM   #27785
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2207

Top Gear crew chased out of Argentina by 'Thousands' of people.

They were driving the spectacular Route 40 down along the Chilean border to Patagonia and ran into a spot of bother at the end. Jeremy probably made another unfortunate racist comment...as he does.

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/...cle1467360.ece

Quote:
Jeremy Clarkson reveals how he hid under a bed from an armed mob baying for his blood
We can look forward to the christmas special this year, eh!

Penn's Woods liked this post
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2014, 04:08 PM   #27786
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21254

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponge_bob View Post
Top Gear crew chased out of Argentina by 'Thousands' of people.

They were driving the spectacular Route 40 down along the Chilean border to Patagonia and ran into a spot of bother at the end. Jeremy probably made another unfortunate racist comment...as he does.

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/...cle1467360.ece

We can look forward to the christmas special this year, eh!
Apparently they had plates referring to the Falkands War...
Old October 5th, 2014, 04:27 PM   #27787
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1823

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
That kind of wealth is unknown in western Europe except for the 1% richest or so.

I can't even buy a house on one income in the Netherlands. You'll get about 4.5 times your gross income in mortgage. And most normal houses are over € 200.000, so you need an income of at least € 45.000 per year to buy a small decent house, which is well over the median single person income. Anything under € 200.000 is usually crap and can hardly be seen as an investment.
That's also the case in Estonia now. Most of the people who own real estate without any mortgage entered the labour market before the collapse of the Soviet Union (and therefore had the chance to get the flat they were living in at a symbolic price at the start of the 90s).

The younger generation has to spend a considerable amount of their income on rent or get a mortgage for several decades. I, for example, am quite worried about what kind of living arrangement I will be able to afford once I graduate from university. Currently I'm living with a couple of friends but I don't want to do that once I'm older.
Rebasepoiss está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2014, 05:43 PM   #27788
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
I think eastern europeans have problem with the 'hotel mama' issue. E.g the average age when a young person leave the parents is very high.

Share of 25-35yrs old living with parents
In Italy most young people who study away from home live in rented flats with mates or in student dormitories, but keep their official residence at their parents' house, where they return at weeends and holiday. I wonder how they're counted in these statistics.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

g.spinoza, Surel, Jasper90 liked this post
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2014, 09:34 PM   #27789
Fatfield

Likes (Received): 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Apparently they had plates referring to the Falkands War...
The registration plate was H982 FLK.
Fatfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2014, 09:40 PM   #27790
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
In Italy most young people who study away from home live in rented flats with mates or in student dormitories, but keep their official residence at their parents' house, where they return at weeends and holiday. I wonder how they're counted in these statistics.
Well, our Statistical office is bunch of lazy people. I guess in case of Slovakia, they have just taken the permanent residence into account and published results. It may be the reason Slovakia ended up at first place

I left the parents at my 23 and my fiancée at 20. But I changed the residence just this year, she still have not.

Old October 6th, 2014, 03:28 AM   #27791
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 898

I find it hard to believe it was a mistake. H982 FLK.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2014, 03:44 AM   #27792
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2207

Well the last time they went on a long drive it a) had a British Military theme and b) Jeremy insulted around a third of the worlds population near the end of the second of the 2 programmes.

Consequently I can see why Argentina and yet another large proportion of the worlds population of the Spanish speaking sort could have been just a tad on edge waiting for the end product. I don't generally endorse mobs chasing the BBC around the shop or nuffink.

That was not a particularly memorable road trip I thought and the gratuitous and unfunny comment was perhaps because Jeremy was totally fed up by the end of it. However the producers put it in the programme....which is surely the worst aspect of it rather than Jeremy sounding off as usual.

They did a great trip through Vietnam some years back and without insulting anyone and IIRC he managed a tour of what is nowadays ISIS country without insulting anyone either.

Disclaimer, Jeremey has never written a column for the Torygraph that I know of and has a very long standing relationship with the Sunday Times and a less profound one with its sister the Sun. I find him to be mainly entertaining.
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2014, 10:13 AM   #27793
volodaaaa

del

Last edited by volodaaaa; October 6th, 2014 at 12:34 PM.
Old October 6th, 2014, 08:31 PM   #27794
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19424

Amazing!

ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2014, 08:55 PM   #27795
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

this newly refurbished street in Zagreb (Mesnička) has raised a lot of dust in media and among Zagreb citizens due to unusual LED lightning in the floor. what do you think of it?
(it is not interferention, it really looks like on the videos)

Old October 6th, 2014, 09:01 PM   #27796
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 4012

I think that cat's eyes would be better.
Alex_ZR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2014, 09:15 PM   #27797
[atomic]

Likes (Received): 122

That looks totally annoying. cat eyes would've been better indeed. But somebody sure made some money
[atomic] no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2014, 09:47 PM   #27798
Surel

Likes (Received): 2156

Perhaps if it would stay on all the time it would not be that bad?
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2014, 10:30 PM   #27799
volodaaaa

IMHO it contributes to visual smog. And it looks like Christmas decoration

Attus, Penn's Woods, Surel, [atomic] liked this post
Old October 6th, 2014, 11:51 PM   #27800
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post

Perhaps if it would stay on all the time it would not be that bad?
my opinion too

Tags
highways, motorways