daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 9th, 2014, 04:04 PM   #27881
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

A problem with Google Instant is that it censores gross words, even when they have different meanings and are used in the more innocent way.
For example, apart the famous Austrian village, Google Instant, in the Italian Google, ignores the existence of the ancient city of Troy and anything related to it (like the Horse of Troy or Helen of Troy). Why? Because Troy is called Troia in Italian, that is also a very rude insult for a woman. For the same reason you can't find suggestions to the village of Troia (in Apulia) or to Sesso, a Reggio Emilia suburb who means 'sex' in Italian.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 9th, 2014, 04:10 PM   #27882
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19425

The best thing with media reports is to quote just the first 100 words or excerpts, and link to the original website. Quoting press releases is less of a problem, but press releases about road projects are often full of political blabla, so I usually omit that, unless it contains important information.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2014, 04:17 PM   #27883
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The best thing with media reports is to quote just the first 100 words or excerpts, and link to the original website. Quoting press releases is less of a problem, but press releases about road projects are often full of political blabla, so I usually omit that, unless it contains important information.
Does this restriction apply to Skybar too? Also to news-dedicated threads like "news of the day", "weird news from the world", "news from the Middle East",...?
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old October 9th, 2014, 04:27 PM   #27884
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19425

Quoting is quoting, it applies to all sections of SSC. News reports are nearly always copyrighted.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2014, 04:36 PM   #27885
Jasper90
Unità

Likes (Received): 12131

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
I don't understand why they get crazy when one quotes an entire article. As long the forumer links the original source and the article is freely available on the net, it should be fair game IMHO. You can legally share a news article on your Facebook page or profile, why not on SSC?

Is there a list of banned words in SSC?
I guess it's because, by doing so, people read the news from SSC and don't open it on the newspaper's website. So you don't view their advertisements and they don't earn money.

Please visit my thread, and feel free to ask any question :) don't forget to subscribe!

g.spinoza, Penn's Woods liked this post
Jasper90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2014, 04:56 PM   #27886
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
I don't understand why they get crazy when one quotes an entire article. As long the forumer links the original source and the article is freely available on the net, it should be fair game IMHO. You can legally share a news article on your Facebook page or profile, why not on SSC?
Probably because the more people read an article elsewhere than the original site, the fewer people read it on the original, the fewer "hits" that site gets...and the less it can charge advertisers. It costs money to produce journalism. It's the newspaper industry's own fault they starting giving away their product for free (and kept it up long enough for people to get used to it), but at some point they have to start charging for it or else go out of business.

EDIT: Posted before I read Jasper's.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Jasper90 liked this post
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2014, 05:20 PM   #27887
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

Quote:
A problem with Google Instant is that it censores gross words, even when they have different meanings and are used in the more innocent way.
For example, apart the famous Austrian village, Google Instant, in the Italian Google, ignores the existence of the ancient city of Troy and anything related to it (like the Horse of Troy or Helen of Troy). Why? Because Troy is called Troia in Italian, that is also a very rude insult for a woman. For the same reason you can't find suggestions to the village of Troia (in Apulia) or to Sesso, a Reggio Emilia suburb who means 'sex' in Italian.
Here it happens with 'negro' (Which means both 'black', the color, and 'nr').
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2014, 05:24 PM   #27888
Jasper90
Unità

Likes (Received): 12131

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
Here it happens with 'negro' (Which means both 'black', the color, and 'nr').
Here in Italy it's a surname, a brand of candies, half the name of a state (Montenegro) and the archaic name of the colour black

Oh, and the racial slur, of course.

Please visit my thread, and feel free to ask any question :) don't forget to subscribe!
Jasper90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2014, 06:52 PM   #27889
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper90 View Post
I guess it's because, by doing so, people read the news from SSC and don't open it on the newspaper's website. So you don't view their advertisements and they don't earn money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Probably because the more people read an article elsewhere than the original site, the fewer people read it on the original, the fewer "hits" that site gets...and the less it can charge advertisers. It costs money to produce journalism. It's the newspaper industry's own fault they starting giving away their product for free (and kept it up long enough for people to get used to it), but at some point they have to start charging for it or else go out of business.

EDIT: Posted before I read Jasper's.
Yes, it's correct. Even if articles are avaiable on the net for free, the number of visits is important, both for the prestige of the journalist and the website and, expecially, for charging money for ads. Also Facebook pages links to the original website. So, they have to force people to open the original page to read an article integrally.
Old October 9th, 2014, 06:54 PM   #27890
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper90 View Post
Here in Italy it's a surname, a brand of candies, half the name of a state (Montenegro) and the archaic name of the colour black

Oh, and the racial slur, of course.
And also a brand of playing cards.

Few years ago there was a diplomatic case in Canada when one gave a pack of Negro candies to an African child at Halloween.

Jasper90 liked this post
Old October 9th, 2014, 09:01 PM   #27891
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1756

I still don't understand the craziness about the negro word. Seriously, what is wrong with it? Even in scientific speech, the "black race" is called "negroid race". The "yellow race" is "mongoloid" and the "white race" is "europoid" or sometimes "Caucasian".

I've never found offensive when someone called me "white". And, to be honest, according to the world history, whites should be the more ashamed ones.

Okay, if there is a slogan in Signal toothpaste advertisement "New white power with 88 % efficiency" it sounds really suspicious But otherwise...

volodaaaa está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2014, 09:06 PM   #27892
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2122

edit
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2014, 09:20 PM   #27893
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
I still don't understand the craziness about the negro word. Seriously, what is wrong with it? Even in scientific speech, the "black race" is called "negroid race". The "yellow race" is "mongoloid" and the "white race" is "europoid" or sometimes "Caucasian".

I've never found offensive when someone called me "white". And, to be honest, according to the world history, whites should be the more ashamed ones.

Okay, if there is a slogan in Signal toothpaste advertisement "New white power with 88 % efficiency" it sounds really suspicious But otherwise...
In the U.S., I think it's more out of date than offensive. But if you use it as a brand name together with a, how to put it, caricatural picture of a black person.... (And since it's been out of fashion since about the time of the civil rights movement, using it might bring up associations from the bad old days.)

But you can't separate the strict, literal meaning of a word from the baggage it carries with it. If it's well known that black people don't want to be called "Negros," that to me is reason enough not to use it.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Jasper90 liked this post
Old October 9th, 2014, 09:22 PM   #27894
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

But they still call each other *****s all the time...

Edit: n i g g a s

Geez, what if I was a brotha from the hood wanting to talk jive on here with another brotha from the hood, me and my homey would be all censored up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godius View Post

songtekst:

[Verse 1]
***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** *****, I'm 100% *****
***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** *****, I'm 200% *****
***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** *****, why do police hate *****s?
***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** *****, they hate us cause our dicks is bigga
***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** *****, why you call yourself a *****?
***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** *****, cause I'm a mother ******* *****!

Last edited by Road_UK; October 9th, 2014 at 09:28 PM.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2014, 09:27 PM   #27895
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18313

cinxxx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2014, 09:28 PM   #27896
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1756

Quote:
But you can't separate the strict, literal meaning of a word from the baggage it carries with it. If it's well known that black people don't want to be called "Negros," that to me is reason enough not to use it.
I completely understand. But if someone uses the word, or there is a foreign product (Italian candies) called like, it is still not enough reason to freak out. And personally, I don't think this word deserves to be banned. I don't assume to offend someone, if I refer to the Rio Negro river.

Last edited by volodaaaa; October 9th, 2014 at 10:05 PM.
volodaaaa está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2014, 10:02 PM   #27897
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
But they still call each other *****s all the time...
Insiders' privilege.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

volodaaaa, Jasper90 liked this post
Old October 9th, 2014, 10:04 PM   #27898
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
I completely understand. But if someone uses the word, or there is a foreign product (Italian candies) called like, it is still not enough reason to freak out. And personally, I don't think this word deserves to be banned. I don't assume to offend someone, if I referr to the Rio Negro river.
If you're complaining about automated censorship, I agree it's stupid. (And anyone who takes "Rio Negro" as anything other than the name of a river....)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old October 9th, 2014, 10:15 PM   #27899
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Quote:
"Negros,"
I hate this order. I'd write «"Negros",». :P
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2014, 10:19 PM   #27900
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

American vs. British usage. (I'm not joking.) I agree the British one makes more sense.

http://grammartips.homestead.com/inside.html

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Verso liked this post

Tags
highways, motorways