daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 11th, 2014, 12:10 AM   #27941
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1750

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
Be tolerant! He is disabled. Twice. Per each cerebral hemisphere.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 11th, 2014, 12:47 AM   #27942
radamfi

Likes (Received): 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The Dutch foreign minister Frans Timmermans is known for his multilingualism. He speaks Dutch, German, French, English and Italian and is ashamed he doesn't speak Polish Apparently he also speaks Russian.

Here's a video with snippets of his languages;
http://nos.nl/op3/video/707372-de-ta...immermans.html
The Deputy Prime Minister of the UK is half Dutch and has a Spanish wife and so speaks fluent English, Dutch and Spanish, as well as French and German. However, a large proportion of the British population think this is actually a bad thing!
radamfi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2014, 03:01 AM   #27943
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
A couple of weeks ago I had to get a new clutch, the old one gave up on a hill, and I still haven't got/gotten [mixed grammar thing from yesterday, I use both got and gotten without realising which one I'm using] used to the new one. It's really soft (it was very hard before, in comparison to other cars I've driven) and I can't really feel what I'm doing, it's very disconcerting and I keep stalling.
I know what you mean, it's weird. Btw, my clutch gave up in a garage.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2014, 04:09 AM   #27944
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 780

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Have gotten sounds very strange to me, almost never heard or read.
I've read English (British) sources that say "gotten" is American and Brits shouldn't use it at all. But I'm thinking early-20th-century sources like Fowler, so maybe we've contaminated their English since.

I wouldn't say "haven't got used"; "haven't gotten used" would be natural for me.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2014, 04:12 AM   #27945
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
I do have a TV-set, but I practically never watch regular programming. I'm just annoyed by the amount of advertising. I mostly watch DVDs or internet videos (Youtube) on my TV.

Freewayjim's videos are amazing on a TV.
Do European channels run long blocks of ads between the shows but never interrupt the shows themselves? I've seen complaints from Europeans about American shows (especially sports) being broken up by ads.... (But blocks of longer than three minutes are unusual.) Just curious.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old October 11th, 2014, 04:15 AM   #27946
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
I think it used to recognize between Have got (posses something) and the present perfect tense of get.

I've got the car = I have the car.
I've gotten a car = I've received a car sometime in the past.
I should have used a different object as man doesn't get car very frequently But replace it with whatever you want.

I've seen it several times but it sounds very strange to me. But it has some logic though.

Long drives? I think the journeys where you have to shift a lot could be better.
The present perfect tense, as it's called - the "have/has" forms - are really only correct for the immediate past. Farther back, just use the simple past - "I got," "I bought," "I received," "I went".... I'd only say "I've gotten a car" to someone who I haven't seen since before that. ("I've got," in the U.S., is just another way of saying "I have.") I notice a lot of non-native speakers whose English is excellent have trouble with that. (Not picking on anyone.)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old October 11th, 2014, 04:16 AM   #27947
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Oh no, definitely they interrupt (at least on, say, Polish TV... or even NOS?)

one thing I remember well on Polish TV and radio is they break the show, then go "reklama", in case someone would get confused and think the ad was part of the show
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2014, 04:19 AM   #27948
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
Mit Stern alles ist erlaubt
Wie bitte? (Seriously. My German's...beyond rusty, more like dilapidated.)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old October 11th, 2014, 04:20 AM   #27949
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by radamfi View Post
The Deputy Prime Minister of the UK is half Dutch
Road_UK is Deputy PM??

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Road_UK liked this post
Old October 11th, 2014, 12:02 PM   #27950
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19397

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Do European channels run long blocks of ads between the shows but never interrupt the shows themselves? I've seen complaints from Europeans about American shows (especially sports) being broken up by ads.... (But blocks of longer than three minutes are unusual.) Just curious.
It's in between that. American shows are indeed annoying by their huge amount of short advertising interruptions. Belgian public TV shows no ads during movies, while in the Netherlands there are usually ads every 20-25 minutes or so. But they tend to last at least 5 minutes.

Which is a reason why I don't watch TV programming anymore. Another reason is that I don't want to stick to the schedule of the broadcaster. I want to watch things whenever I want to, not according to the TV guide.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2014, 12:05 PM   #27951
volodaaaa

Quote:
The present perfect tense, as it's called - the "have/has" forms - are really only correct for the immediate past. Farther back, just use the simple past - "I got," "I bought," "I received," "I went".... I'd only say "I've gotten a car" to someone who I haven't seen since before that. ("I've got," in the U.S., is just another way of saying "I have.") I notice a lot of non-native speakers whose English is excellent have trouble with that. (Not picking on anyone.)
Sometimes, I can't distinguish when it is proper to use simple past or present perfect.

I've done (it is okay now? ) several tests with explanations and it still confusing to me.
Immediate past is clear "I've just eaten, I've lost the key, I've fallen in love", but what about the uncertain past?

One site advised me the easy way to distinguish the usage. It says if a listener is able to draw the plot of my story on a timeline, then I should use past simple. If not, I should go for present perfect. But it is still not very reliable.

The tenses in English is horrible to me (how many have you got? Twelve of them?). In my language there are only three simple.

Spal som = I was sleeping.
Spal som = I slept.
Spal som = I've been sleeping.

Btw. I've read a nice sentence recently: "All the belief he had had had had to help him to live his life nicely.

Old October 11th, 2014, 12:09 PM   #27952
volodaaaa

Quote:
It's in between that. American shows are indeed annoying by their huge amount of short advertising interruptions. Belgian public TV shows no ads during movies, while in the Netherlands there are usually ads every 20-25 minutes or so. But they tend to last at least 5 minutes.

Which is a reason why I don't watch TV programming anymore. Another reason is that I don't want to stick to the schedule of the broadcaster. I want to watch things whenever I want to, not according to the TV guide.
I can't imagine it could be horrible somewhere. In my country, ads are long and very frequent. Fortunately, I've got set-top box with archive, so I usually the shows (except sport broadcasting) on the next day with skipping the advertisements.

Last time I remember, The Titanic film (with Kate Winslet) was scheduled to four and half hours!

Old October 11th, 2014, 12:37 PM   #27953
Maciek_CK
Great Scott!

Likes (Received): 1026

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
Oh no, definitely they interrupt (at least on, say, Polish TV... or even NOS?)

one thing I remember well on Polish TV and radio is they break the show, then go "reklama", in case someone would get confused and think the ad was part of the show
They have to do that in compliance with the National Broadcasting Council’s regulation.

Quote:
In Poland it depends on where and what is broadcasted. The public broadcaster doesn’t generally run commercials during programming. They never interrupt movies and television series but they interrupt live shows. On the other hand, commercial broadcasters interrupt everything they can. There’s even a joke on that:

(Almost) No one interrupts sports (I was quite surprised watching F1 on ESPN one time). Of course, ads are run during official breaks (for example, between first and second half of a football match). Again, Polsat is irritating as they run a single ad during technical breaks in volleyball (less than 30 seconds).

You can also purchase a package (e.g. Canal+: movies, tv series and sports, 30-50zł per month depending on the number of channels and quality [SD/HD]) and enjoy no commercials at all during programming (excluding officials breaks in sports).
Old October 11th, 2014, 12:54 PM   #27954
radamfi

Likes (Received): 58

Quote:

Do you watch BBC channels, which AFAIK are universally available in the Netherlands (and Belgium and Ireland)? No adverts there, although they do have an annoying number of trailers between programmes.
radamfi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2014, 12:55 PM   #27955
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
That really shows on for example ComedyCentral, where you get loads of short interruptions where in the US the commercials are squeezed in but not in Europe, so you get an 'outro' followed immediately by an 'intro' back into the show. For example the Daily Show and the Colbert Report. Both of them get 3 commercial breaks in the US but none over here. Only somewhere between 1 and 5 minutes between the shows, and it's mostly commercials for ComedyCentral's other shows.

One question though, I don't know whether you watch the Daily Show, but do people really sit through the last set of commercials just for the ''Moment of Zen'' of like 10-15 seconds?
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2014, 02:01 PM   #27956
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18302

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=544463782305138
cinxxx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2014, 02:13 PM   #27957
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Sometimes, I can't distinguish when it is proper to use simple past or present perfect.

I've done (it is okay now? ) several tests with explanations and it still confusing to me.
Immediate past is clear "I've just eaten, I've lost the key, I've fallen in love", but what about the uncertain past?

One site advised me the easy way to distinguish the usage. It says if a listener is able to draw the plot of my story on a timeline, then I should use past simple. If not, I should go for present perfect. But it is still not very reliable.

The tenses in English is horrible to me (how many have you got? Twelve of them?). In my language there are only three simple.

Spal som = I was sleeping.
Spal som = I slept.
Spal som = I've been sleeping.

Btw. I've read a nice sentence recently: "All the belief he had had had had to help him to live his life nicely.
"I've done several tests" is fine. Obviously, native speakers just use them instinctively, but if what you did in the past has effects in the present or something, that makes it present perfect, maybe?

Quote:
I can't imagine it could be horrible somewhere. In my country, ads are long and very frequent. Fortunately, I've got set-top box with archive, so I usually the shows (except sport broadcasting) on the next day with skipping the advertisements.

Last time I remember, The Titanic film (with Kate Winslet) was scheduled to four and half hours!
I record most of what I watch, so I can skip commercials. But even if I'm watching a recording, I may let them run while I, say, put the dishes away. Movies, I'm fussy about. Enough of the "premium" channels (HBO and so on) run them without interruption that at this point I won't even record a movie I want to see if it's on one of those that do have ads.

Public television here (PBS) has no ads during shows. They're not supposed to have ads at all, but there's a fine line between a "sponsor announcement" and an ad. But they'll do those between shows.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old October 11th, 2014, 02:18 PM   #27958
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post
That really shows on for example ComedyCentral, where you get loads of short interruptions where in the US the commercials are squeezed in but not in Europe, so you get an 'outro' followed immediately by an 'intro' back into the show. For example the Daily Show and the Colbert Report. Both of them get 3 commercial breaks in the US but none over here. Only somewhere between 1 and 5 minutes between the shows, and it's mostly commercials for ComedyCentral's other shows.

One question though, I don't know whether you watch the Daily Show, but do people really sit through the last set of commercials just for the ''Moment of Zen'' of like 10-15 seconds?
I haven't watched the Daily Show in a while, but when I did, they had no commercials between the Moment of Zen and the beginning of Colbert. And sometimes you see Jon "toss to" Stephen. (Say hello to him, make a joke witch he answers...) That's a trick some channels play to get you to start watching the show after the one you originally tuned in for.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old October 11th, 2014, 04:59 PM   #27959
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Road_UK is Deputy PM??
I'm running for prime minister at the next general elections. And when I do get elected, I'll still be around, don't worry. I'd like to see the mods try and delete my posts then!!!

Penn's Woods liked this post
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2014, 05:13 PM   #27960
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18302

Meanwhile...
cinxxx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways