daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 23rd, 2014, 05:01 PM   #28201
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18303

Speaking of medical doctors, I guess the conditions in Italy are pretty good. I haven't seen Italian doctors in Germany. There are a lot of Romanians, Bulgarians, Greek, Hungarian, from former Yugoslavia, Russians.

Besides Italian, I also didn't see many Spanish or Portuguese.
There are many Spanish engineers though, still not so many Italians.

I don't think I would have left Spain, Italy or Portugal neither, just look how much sunshine you have there , even if salary is not as high, still descent enough (not the same could be said about other countries)
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 23rd, 2014, 05:13 PM   #28202
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
But at the realm of the argument is the paradigm that the State doesn't own its citizens because it provides social services to them. It is a cornerstone of democracy.

This remind me of some African governments asking EU to self-impose a moratorium on visas for health professionals coming from certain countries in Africa, to force them to work locally. That happened a couple years ago and went nowhere.
State doesn't own it's citizen and should not be allowed to restrict their travel. We can agree on that.

However, state is free to chose any social policy it wants. And reimbursing study costs is such a social policy. You can btw notice that various study welfare policies are social rights in the EU and are directly connected with the work condition in the EU. There is absolutely nothing contradictory to anything if Hungary would make the reimbursing of the study costs conditioned by working in Hungary...

About Africa etc... There should not be any travel ban, but again, reimbursement policy connected to the resident work at the home country would allow more resources into the system and more students from developing countries.

Btw... those communist countries had quite advanced developing aid program in education. In Czechoslovakia alone there were some 40 000 students from developing countries before the 1990. On average it was around 850 students per year on a government stipend. Now it is only around 250 students per year on a government stipend.

Last edited by Surel; October 23rd, 2014 at 05:33 PM.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2014, 07:01 PM   #28203
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1819

Restricting travel based on university studies goes against the free movement principle of the EU.

BTW, I could easily go the Sweden, for example, and get a free university education there, then come back and work in Estonia (which I actually considered). The system works both ways. I know plenty of people who study in Scotland but don't plan on staying there in the long run.

From a budgetary point of view, I understand the reasoning. Lots of young Estonian doctors go and work in Finland since the pay is so much bigger. Then again, we now hire doctors from Russia, Belarus and Ukraine to compansate for the lack of workforce in this field...
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2014, 07:05 PM   #28204
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
This summer I found a big rusty coin in a hiking trail. Initially I though I found a 2€ coin, but then I discovered it was an old SFR Yugoslavia coin.
How much?
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2014, 07:14 PM   #28205
Surel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss View Post
Restricting travel based on university studies goes against the free movement principle of the EU.
The point is that no one would restrict anyone's travel of course...
Old October 23rd, 2014, 08:17 PM   #28206
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
How much?
It's 5 dinara, year 1980. Those coins are common in flea markets and don't have numismatic value if worn.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2014, 09:40 PM   #28207
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Meanwhile...
Old October 23rd, 2014, 10:05 PM   #28208
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1819

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
The point is that no one would restrict anyone's travel of course...
Yes but you would restrict them from working abroad...which is one of the foundations of living in the EU - than I can leave tomorrow and go and work in Germany, for example.

Suburbanist liked this post
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2014, 10:20 PM   #28209
Surel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss View Post
Yes but you would restrict them from working abroad...which is one of the foundations of living in the EU - than I can leave tomorrow and go and work in Germany, for example.
No, you would not. Everyone who would work in the home country would get this social payment (benefit) - getting his/her study costs covered. Everyone is free to go to work in any country he/she wishes, but loses the right on getting the reimbursement at the home country if working abroad.

It is actually pretty standard in the EU, that the right on social payments (benefits) is conditioned by working in the country where you get them.
Old October 23rd, 2014, 11:57 PM   #28210
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
It's 5 dinara, year 1980.
That one? I remember them.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2014, 12:40 AM   #28211
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Quote:
Frank Gehry Claims Today’s Architecture is (Mostly) “Pure Shit”

“Let me tell you one thing. In this world we are living in, 98 percent of everything that is built and designed today is pure shit. There’s no sense of design, no respect for humanity or for anything else. They are damn buildings and that’s it.

“Once in a while, however, there’s a small group of people who does something special. Very few. But good god, leave us alone! We are dedicated to our work. I don’t ask for work. I don’t have a publicist. I’m not waiting for anyone to call me. I work with clients who respect the art of architecture. Therefore, please don’t ask questions as stupid as that one.”

This, followed by the middle finger, was Gehry’s response to a reporter asking the 85-year-old architect how he responds to the critics claiming he practices “showy architecture.”
http://www.archdaily.com/560673/fran...tly-pure-shit/
Old October 24th, 2014, 02:34 PM   #28212
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 234

Question:
Is a visa required for Philippine Passport Holders when entering the Aland Islands (via Mariehamn Airport)???

Also:
When travelling to Svalbard, do we need a Schengen Visa that comes from the Norwegian Embassy in addition to a Svalbard Visa?

Same question also applies for Greenland and Faroe Islands with retrospect to the Embassy of Denmark....

Thanks
Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2014, 04:06 PM   #28213
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Have you asked the embassies? Or checked their websites?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2014, 04:08 PM   #28214
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Why would he want to do that, when he can get others to do it for him?
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2014, 04:22 PM   #28215
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Now, now. You once remarked "I could look it up, but I can't be bothered." I remember this because I liked it and used it as my sig for a while. He could just be looking for a topic of conversation.

But he'd get the right answers (hopefully!) from the embassies.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Road_UK liked this post
Old October 24th, 2014, 09:17 PM   #28216
bogdymol
bogdymod

Maybe most of you don't follow regularly the Bosnian road thread. Here's a cool road video that you should see:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien x View Post
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog

volodaaaa, keokiracer, cinxxx, piotr71, Surel and 4 others liked this post
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2014, 09:59 PM   #28217
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

This driving exam ended up in the building of the Department of Motor Vehicles in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Blackraven, radamfi liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2014, 10:03 PM   #28218
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Cedar Rapids? At least we know the gas is cheap there.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old October 25th, 2014, 01:19 AM   #28219
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 4006

Pascal got banned last week? SSC lost its purpose of existence...

Verso liked this post
Alex_ZR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2014, 02:47 AM   #28220
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
This driving exam ended up in the building of the Department of Motor Vehicles in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.
probably young girl got confused and pressed accelerator instead of brake, and then, stood on it!

What I really like is how gravel has been shifted by the spinning forwards rear wheels The Lincoln in question is probably a V8 model so it must have been quite a show
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways