daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 31st, 2014, 05:19 PM   #28401
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21248

Penn Woods, this is an interesting article about the shift-schedule chaos: Scheduling Technology Leaves Low-Income Parents With Hours of Chaos

and this covers the issue of restricted covenants and non-compete clauses: When the Guy Making Your Sandwich Has a Noncompete Clause

Both are good reads.

Penn's Woods liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 31st, 2014, 05:26 PM   #28402
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
I had the impression he agreed with what you said.
Well, one can't actually tell....

By the way, I just tallied it up: between vacation days and paid holidays, I get 38 weekdays (Monday-Friday) paid time off in 2014. It would be 39 if Yom Kippur hadn't fallen on a Saturday this year.

Not counting time on SSC. :-)

EDIT: Also not counting sick days, which I have so many of accumulated that I could take over a month if I was actually sick. They'd want proof, though, for that amount of sick time taken.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2014, 05:39 PM   #28403
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
It's mostly a southern European thing. Nearly the entire economy comes to a standstill (except tourism of course) during August.

The Dutch school holidays are spread out over 3 regions in the summer, so much of the country keeps functioning, albeit on a lower pace, during July and August. It is common in the construction sector to shut the business down entirely for 3 weeks, but more and more businesses remain open compared to 20 years ago.

I also prefer multiple short vacations over a summer-long vacation. I did two major trips this year, to Norway and Sweden in June and to southern France in September. Usually I take 3 or 4 international multi-day trips, but had to cut down a bit this year,I bought a new car, plus the 2 trips were rather expensive in tolls. I think I paid a combined € 400 in tolls this year.

Of course, school vacations are a factor that I tend to forget about because they don't affect me.

But here they aren't standardized: a local school district needs to have classes X days per year, will have to be closed on certain holidays, but can otherwise schedule vacations when they want. Obviously, everyone will he out of school for July and most of August, probably the week from Christmas to New Year's, but spring breaks will be more spread out.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old October 31st, 2014, 05:43 PM   #28404
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post

So what are you trying to say? You quote what I say, you quote a text, and then you put up a graph with a big fat zero sitting at the end of it?

There is a big, big difference between what I'm telling you is typical and what the text you quote is saying, and that zero. That zero is bullshit, at least in context (at a very minimum, they'd need to change the label on the graph, because it ISN'T a true representation of "paid annual leave and paid public holidays" that people in fact get), but it's what most Europeans retain as The Truth About America. If only because most Europeans (being human) would just look at the graph and not bother to read the text.
I am trying to say, if you read the quote, that the average holiday in US private sector is 15 days, national holiday included, which is 5 days short of most EU countries compulsory holiday days, the national holiday excluded.

Read the article. That article is about the government sanctioned holiday. As you can see, the graph shows also just 4 weeks by most countries, while in reality the employes get often 5 or even 6 weeks holiday.

Yes, the general and truth picture is that in the US people have much less holiday, and a quarter have none. I think that you should accept this as a fact.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2014, 05:58 PM   #28405
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

I "should accept it as a fact"? Who are you to say what I should and should not do?

But if we're going that route, you will please acknowledge that a graph labeled "paid annual leave and paid holidays" by country, without specifying that it's leave and holidays required by the state, that then shows a number zero for the U.S. is a lie. Even if you live in, say, France and can't conceive of anything really existing without the state ordering it to, it's a lie. Just like the France2 reporter who flatly stated on the air during the Dominique Strauss-Kahn case that "the presumption of innocence does not exist in the United States" was either a liar or an idiot, or both. Hence my remark that Europeans hear a lot of bullshit about the U.S. Because that sort of thing's breathtakingly typical.

The problem is, a typical newspaper or website would publish an article about paid leave time and include a graph like that, someone who doesn't have time to read the article would just look the graph, and draw the same conclusion CNGL did. And quite often the newspaper or website would attach a misleading headline to it. After all, it's briefer to say "Americans don't get any vacation" than "Americans don't have a legal entitlement to vacation but most get it anyway."

And we still don't know how many of that 25 percent are working part-time.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old October 31st, 2014, 06:05 PM   #28406
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19410

Americans are rich in money
Europeans are rich in free time

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Penn's Woods liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2014, 06:08 PM   #28407
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

...and money....
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2014, 06:15 PM   #28408
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3445

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_ZR View Post
Interesting Honda campaign. Press the R button during watching the video.

https://www.youtube.com/user/HondaVideo
so that's the famous commercial that they have filmed 3 months ago here in Rijeka
media wrote about it, there were spy photos of Civic Type-R in the tunnel on D404, but noone knew what final shape would the commercial have
Old October 31st, 2014, 06:17 PM   #28409
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
so that's the famous commercial that they have filmed 3 months ago here in Rijeka
media wrote about it, there were spy photos of Civic Type-R in the tunnel on D403, but noone knew what final shape would the commercial have
You beat me for 2 minutes. Just wanted to say those were Rijeka and Ljubljana in the video.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2014, 06:36 PM   #28410
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
...and money....
...which they then spend on fuel and tolls.

At least those of us/you who like road trips.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old October 31st, 2014, 06:48 PM   #28411
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Taxation is generally higher in Europe than in the United States. So from apart from the higher overall income, the descretionary spending is also higher for an American. Goods and services have lower taxes.

In the Netherlands, you can spend your money (after income tax) on goods (21% tax) or cars (65% tax) or fuel (200% tax).
On the other hand we do get a more affordable health care in return. Which may not seem like a big deal in your 20s, but is definitely worth something when you are 60+.
Old October 31st, 2014, 06:52 PM   #28412
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2114

For my recent surgery, 5 days in hospital, followups, and 2 weeks of medications, I spent zero. :P
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2014, 06:52 PM   #28413
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Health care's another issue. Although, again, it's a matter of most people being covered so how do we come up with the political will to take care of those who aren't. (My coverage is decent but there's no excuse, morally speaking, for anyone not having coverage in a "rich" society. And yes, we made a big dent in the problem during this presidency but....)

But I try (try) to stay out of politics around here.

EDIT: Arrows for Chris, but it still works.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

g.spinoza, Jasper90 liked this post
Old October 31st, 2014, 07:03 PM   #28414
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
I "should accept it as a fact"? Who are you to say what I should and should not do?

But if we're going that route, you will please acknowledge that a graph labeled "paid annual leave and paid holidays" by country, without specifying that it's leave and holidays required by the state, that then shows a number zero for the U.S. is a lie. Even if you live in, say, France and can't conceive of anything really existing without the state ordering it to, it's a lie. Just like the France2 reporter who flatly stated on the air during the Dominique Strauss-Kahn case that "the presumption of innocence does not exist in the United States" was either a liar or an idiot, or both. Hence my remark that Europeans hear a lot of bullshit about the U.S. Because that sort of thing's breathtakingly typical.

The problem is, a typical newspaper or website would publish an article about paid leave time and include a graph like that, someone who doesn't have time to read the article would just look the graph, and draw the same conclusion CNGL did. And quite often the newspaper or website would attach a misleading headline to it. After all, it's briefer to say "Americans don't get any vacation" than "Americans don't have a legal entitlement to vacation but most get it anyway."

And we still don't know how many of that 25 percent are working part-time.
You got a quote with it stating it. You got also the link to that Harvard article. I think you overdo it.

Those working part time have also the right for vacation in Europe...
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2014, 07:23 PM   #28415
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
For my recent surgery, 5 days in hospital, followups, and 2 weeks of medications, I spent zero. :P
Look again at your paycheck to see how much you pay for health security

As for vacation; I get 25 days. I have one two week vacation and then additional shorter ones. I have a privilege that I can use my overtime work hours as additional free days. Every few years I go to some long trip so I take at least 4 weeks - that is very hard to arrange as my work usually does not allow that.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2014, 07:43 PM   #28416
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
Look again at your paycheck to see how much you pay for health security
I pay nothing for that. The only money they cut from my salary (10% more or less) is for the retirement pension.
Old October 31st, 2014, 08:16 PM   #28417
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Likes (Received): 4063

Quote:
I pay nothing for that. The only money they cut from my salary (10% more or less) is for the retirement pension.
And you're salary is how much ?
Autoputevi kao hobi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2014, 08:29 PM   #28418
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1755

- Why does a snake have no balls?

- Because it would look exactly like a d**k.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2014, 08:48 PM   #28419
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Health care is probably funded through the general income tax (which I assume you have to pay as well) and other general taxes.

There is a separate health insurance in the Netherlands, which is obligatory for all citizens age 18 or over, regardless if you have paid work or not. The rates are usually around € 100 -140 per month, but lower incomes get compensated up to € 75 per month by the government. Many people consider the health insurance 'expensive', even though it covers only about 10% of the real health care cost in the Netherlands. But it managed to eliminate the long waiting lists at hospitals for non-emergency treatments.
Old October 31st, 2014, 08:59 PM   #28420
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputevi kao hobi View Post
And you're salary is how much ?
Not much. Below average.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Health care is probably funded through the general income tax (which I assume you have to pay as well) and other general taxes.
Personally I don't have to pay any income tax (called IRPEF in Italy). My status is a bit peculiar, though: technically I'm not employed by my institution, I have a fellowship payed for by the state through my institution. It has a very low level of taxation, but several disadvantages as well: for instance the retirement pension tax goes to a separate fund, and my pension will be a lot lower than those issued by the primary fund. Moreover, not paying any IRPEF, I'm not entitled to have any refund (house rent, over-the-counter medicines, etc)

Tags
highways, motorways