daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 5th, 2014, 07:13 PM   #28541
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 4016

Sounds unusual that Yugoslavia had lower GDP than most of the Eastern block countries, but had higher living standard. IMF loans did it...
Alex_ZR está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 5th, 2014, 07:26 PM   #28542
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
gdp/capita in Europe from 1950-1990.

Showing how in 1950 differences were relatively small, and the impact of Marshall plan and free market against the USSR politics

http://dev3.cepr.org/meets/wkcn/1/16...erry_Klein.pdf
Greetings from the outlier. :-)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2014, 07:32 PM   #28543
Surel

Likes (Received): 2156

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I've read Germany has a major problem with its grid, to get energy produced in the north to southern consumers.
Yeah, it frequently pushes the limits of the Polish and Czech power grid when it is windy in North Germany and Denmark. Too much of the electricity has to flow through the Czech Republic then to either South Germany or Austria which creates instability.

It is not so easy to block that energy once its flows. The Poles, I think, have already started building it, it is a sort of switch. The Czechs were not yet finished with it.

It is a special kind of transformer - a phase shifter.

The point is that Germans don't want to bear the costs of creating this instability. Poles were able to get them to some agreement, the Czechs did not have this luck, but I read that it in fact did not really work anyway. So it seems that only a real thread of closing the flow will make them do anything about it. Therefore those phase shifters need to be built. The Germans are not happy about it, but they installed the same phase shifters on its western borders... I think that the Dutch have also built similar transformers.

The costs of those PST would be some € 100 mil for the Czechs and should be working in 2017.

Germans are currently busy with connecting their north and south networks though. It comprises some 2800 kms of power grid worth € 10 bil.

http://www.elektrina.cz/invazi-zelen...cesku-i-polsku

http://ceskapozice.lidovky.cz/cesko-..._pozice_127342
http://ceskapozice.lidovky.cz/nemeck...3_pozice_89081
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2014, 07:52 PM   #28544
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21254

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsHalt View Post
That's would be too fragile against any possible security slip ups like getting hacked or a power buildup plus who's going to support such a infrastructure....
It is the only way to rely heavily on renewables... There is a huge potential for a combination of plenty of solar plants on the Mediterranean + wind plants on Northern Europe + geothermal in Scandinavia/Iceland/Scotland, but this needs a grids to carry energy around.

Jasper90 liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2014, 10:40 PM   #28545
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
It is the only way to rely heavily on renewables... There is a huge potential for a combination of plenty of solar plants on the Mediterranean + wind plants on Northern Europe + geothermal in Scandinavia/Iceland/Scotland, but this needs a grids to carry energy around.
It will probably happen when we will runout of oil. Hopefully we will turn towards renewables instead of nuclear.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

Penn's Woods liked this post
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2014, 10:46 PM   #28546
Broccolli

Likes (Received): 936

Electric car made by Primary school students

Broccolli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2014, 11:09 PM   #28547
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1823

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
Yeah, it frequently pushes the limits of the Polish and Czech power grid when it is windy in North Germany and Denmark. Too much of the electricity has to flow through the Czech Republic then to either South Germany or Austria which creates instability.
Wait, so the Northern and Southern parts of the German electric grid are only connected via the Czech Republic? Or is it that the current connections don't have enough capacity to carry the electricity to the South?
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2014, 12:07 AM   #28548
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I've read Germany has a major problem with its grid, to get energy produced in the north to southern consumers.
Yes. And the Bavarian government protests agains constructing new electric wires. They close nuclear plants, do not want to have wires from the North Sea, but of course they would like to have electricity.

Surel liked this post
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2014, 12:08 AM   #28549
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
It is not so easy to block that energy once its flows. The Poles, I think, have already started building it, it is a sort of switch. The Czechs were not yet finished with it.

It is a special kind of transformer - a phase shifter.
There is one built quite recently in Slovenia for 50 million euro to help with problems because of large electricity import into Italy from SE Europe. It has positive effect on the electricity networks in whole Alpine region. It has the largest phase angle in the world - 40° - if anyone can understand that
It was first transported over railway (heaviest load up to now - on a special railcar with 32 axles) - twice for two parts

and then on the road on that special vehicle:

Photo and movie source: http://www.vlaki.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5887
There are not many of them in Europe but their number is increasing as more electricity is traded over internal borders.

bogdymol, Surel liked this post
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2014, 12:14 AM   #28550
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1756

An automobile catalogue of TUZEX company (providing the purchase of western European products in Czechoslovakia) from 1988.

Please note the English was pretty much rare in Czechoslovakia before 1989

Attus, Kanadzie, riiga, Penn's Woods, Peines and 1 others liked this post
volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2014, 12:55 AM   #28551
Surel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
Yes. And the Bavarian government protests agains constructing new electric wires. They close nuclear plants, do not want to have wires from the North Sea, but of course they would like to have electricity.
Something like the Austrians .

Anyway, the nuclear filter is still there: http://www.nucleostop.de/. Well this one was a satire, but still there were people that tried to order it.

Old November 6th, 2014, 01:01 AM   #28552
Surel

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
There is one built quite recently in Slovenia for 50 million euro to help with problems because of large electricity import into Italy from SE Europe. It has positive effect on the electricity networks in whole Alpine region. It has the largest phase angle in the world - 40° - if anyone can understand that
It was first transported over railway (heaviest load up to now - on a special railcar with 32 axles) - twice for two parts

Photo and movie source: http://www.vlaki.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5887
There are not many of them in Europe but their number is increasing as more electricity is traded over internal borders.
I am trying to create a Power grids, Oil pipelines, Gas pipelines, Water management, Communication grids, section on the infrastructure forum. If it gets enough support it could get opened. If you want to support it, I started a thread about it here: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1772697

I think it is interesting topic, it is quite to the point these days (as energy discussions become more and more relevant), so worth a dedicated section in the infrastructure forum.

Anyone feeling like supporting such section? Go here: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1772697

Last edited by Surel; November 6th, 2014 at 01:20 AM.
Old November 6th, 2014, 01:15 AM   #28553
Surel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss View Post
Wait, so the Northern and Southern parts of the German electric grid are only connected via the Czech Republic? Or is it that the current connections don't have enough capacity to carry the electricity to the South?
It doesn't have enough capacity to handle the peak times, when the photovoltaic or the wind turbines kick in.

Germany did not build the grid as a one country, so the connection between West and East Germany is not that good, which effects the current North-South connection within Germany.

The capacity between Germany and the Czech Republic on the other side is quite good, at the peak hours, almost 50 % of the additional capacity can go through CZ.

They are not sure if there can be an actual danger of black out just because of the German electricity, but in the peak times there is almost no reserve capacity left in the Czech network. So if there would be emergency in the Czech network, there is no capacity and the network could collapse in the south east.

The record was 3.5 GW flowing across Czech borders in 2012 with total flow between North Germany and Austria 7.3 GW. That is power output of the 7th world biggest power plant, or 3,5 outputs of the Hoover damn.

There are many pumped-storage damns in Austria and Switzerland, so the electricity from the wind turbines and solar panels can be stored there as potential energy of the water. But it has to get there first.

Rebasepoiss liked this post

Last edited by Surel; November 6th, 2014 at 01:24 AM.
Old November 6th, 2014, 09:50 PM   #28554
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

The Chelsea supporter in the office is not happy with Slovenia, or at least Slovenian clubs. I'm just sayin'.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

hofburg, Verso liked this post
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2014, 12:35 AM   #28555
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Likes (Received): 4063

Do you guys know what is this for:https://www.google.rs/maps/@59.13097...yRV9WcELDw!2e0 ?
Autoputevi kao hobi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2014, 12:57 AM   #28556
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Geez, I've just had like 5 different wines, I'm so fuking drunk. The last one said "teasing wine", so I'm not surprised, OMFG...

Jasper90, Penn's Woods liked this post
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2014, 01:09 AM   #28557
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Its possible to get drunk from wine?
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2014, 01:11 AM   #28558
AsHalt

Likes (Received): 181

Yes ,but pretty rediculous.
AsHalt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2014, 01:48 AM   #28559
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Wait, I've had blueberry liqueur as well.

volodaaaa liked this post
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2014, 01:49 AM   #28560
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

oh, slivovice!
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways