daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 7th, 2014, 04:13 PM   #28581
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broccolli View Post
Chelsea fan goes berserk! (at 1:55)

Reminded me of this
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 7th, 2014, 04:13 PM   #28582
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
From the Vipava Valley, that's where H4 runs.
I was hoping it was more local, from around Kranj where the conference took place... but I'm gonna drink it anyway
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2014, 04:20 PM   #28583
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatfield View Post
That's probably where the Chelsea team had been before the match.
Probably one of the stops during Wineries eurotrip.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2014, 04:25 PM   #28584
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
I was hoping it was more local, from around Kranj where the conference took place... but I'm gonna drink it anyway
There're no vineyards around Kranj.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sloveni..._and_geography
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2014, 04:26 PM   #28585
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Friend of mine tried Canadian wine near Niagara Falls a few weeks ago....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2014, 04:30 PM   #28586
bigic
(-_-) -<>- ♂♂

Likes (Received): 136

On the topic of oil smuggling between Turkey and neighbouring countries that was brought up earlier, there is an interesting article:
http://www.buzzfeed.com/mikegiglio/t...s-smuggles-oil
bigic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2014, 08:25 PM   #28587
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broccolli View Post

That looks expensive
10 € at most. Fancy bottles cost almost nothing.
Remember, it's a "quality wine" not a "premium wine"

Don't worry g.spinoza, it is still a good wine.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2014, 11:27 PM   #28588
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
That's not a lot of wine. Are you sure you'll get drunk with that?

(although I admit, I probably can withstand quite a lot more alcohol than an average person here)
The second photo of the bottle shows that is a standard-size 0,75l.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2014, 03:46 AM   #28589
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Le Monde thinks the Yankees and Mets are "mythic" American-football teams. Mythic, indeed.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old November 8th, 2014, 10:43 AM   #28590
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
10 € at most. Fancy bottles cost almost nothing.
Remember, it's a "quality wine" not a "premium wine"

Don't worry g.spinoza, it is still a good wine.
I didn't expect a premium wine, not for just chairing a session at a conference.
Old November 8th, 2014, 11:05 AM   #28591
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Le Monde thinks the Yankees and Mets are "mythic" American-football teams. Mythic, indeed.
Then the Jets and Giants are mythic baseball teams. Oh, wait, there IS a baseball team named the Giants, they have won the World Series last week!
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.

Penn's Woods liked this post
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2014, 11:25 AM   #28592
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19388

American sports have little interest in the Dutch media. Although the public broadcaster did publish some very, very condensed versions of the World Series. I think most Dutch even believe Michael Jordan is still playing professional basketball.

Out of the American sports, I think Hockey and Football receive close to no attention in the Netherlands. Basketball and Baseball sometimes receive some limited attention, mainly the World Series. We did play baseball or softball in high school though.

American sports seem more 'family friendly' than soccer/football in Europe though. You rarely read about hooliganism. Though European hooliganism also seems to be reduced.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2014, 11:42 AM   #28593
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

last week there was short report about MLB finals in the sports news. i think that most of people cared for it just as they would care for, dunno, regional figure skating competition in Kazakhstan.

NBA and, more or less, NHL though are followed. we use(d) to have live coverage in the night and even tv shows about it.
Old November 8th, 2014, 11:54 AM   #28594
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Hockey is basically unknown in Italy, except maybe in Alto Adige/Sudtirol. The most followed American sport in Italy is surely basketball. Personally, I find baseball really uninteresting, while I love American football. Some 20 years ago I remember a Sunday morning show on TV, all about American football (recaps of matches, drafts, etc), and I remember watching the 49ers crush the Broncos in 1989 Superbowl. I'm not sure, but I think NFL is not broadcasted (broadcast?) anymore on Italian television.
Old November 8th, 2014, 11:59 AM   #28595
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Media can change people's interests. 10-12 years ago there was only some dozens of people in Hungary that interested in American Football. Yes, we all knew it is something with an egg shaped ball which is dominantly not kicked (just like in European Football which is called soccer in North America) but thrown, and that's all.
And then a sports TV channel called Sport 1 started boradcasting NFL games. And not only one or two but quite much of them. And suddenly lots of people followed those games although there are broadcasted late night in Hungary (i.e. broadcasting is LIVE but when the games are played, it is night in Europe). Nowadays many people know NFL teams, the best players, tactics, rules of the game, etc.
15 years ago there were no more than one hundred people in Hungary that had any idea about what an interception was. Now several millions know it.

Penn's Woods, nbcee liked this post
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2014, 12:10 PM   #28596
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

huh, i find even baseball more interesting than american football. i simply cannot watch the match which is being interrupted each 15 seconds, and after that interruption follows 3 minutes of setting up the tactics (by men in the funniest possible costumes in the sport world). rugby is much more interesting.

Penn's Woods liked this post
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2014, 12:12 PM   #28597
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

I find rugby too messy, with no discernible rules. Am football is much more rigorous and orderly.
Old November 8th, 2014, 03:56 PM   #28598
riiga

Likes (Received): 126

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
huh, i find even baseball more interesting than american football. i simply cannot watch the match which is being interrupted each 15 seconds, and after that interruption follows 3 minutes of setting up the tactics (by men in the funniest possible costumes in the sport world). rugby is much more interesting.
And don't forget the commercials interrupting. "We'll be right back after a word from our sponsors..."
riiga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2014, 04:25 PM   #28599
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
American sports have little interest in the Dutch media. Although the public broadcaster did publish some very, very condensed versions of the World Series. I think most Dutch even believe Michael Jordan is still playing professional basketball.

Out of the American sports, I think Hockey and Football receive close to no attention in the Netherlands. Basketball and Baseball sometimes receive some limited attention, mainly the World Series. We did play baseball or softball in high school though.

American sports seem more 'family friendly' than soccer/football in Europe though. You rarely read about hooliganism. Though European hooliganism also seems to be reduced.
The French and Belgian media I mostly follow pay far more attention to the NBA than anything else. They may even publish NBA scores during the season just like they'll publish other countries' first-division soccer scores. Seen minimal coverage of the World Series and Super Bowl (and yes, "World Series" is a silly name), never anything about the NHL.

Glad to hear hooliganism is being reduced.

Quote:
Hockey is basically unknown in Italy, except maybe in Alto Adige/Sudtirol. The most followed American sport in Italy is surely basketball. Personally, I find baseball really uninteresting, while I love American football. Some 20 years ago I remember a Sunday morning show on TV, all about American football (recaps of matches, drafts, etc), and I remember watching the 49ers crush the Broncos in 1989 Superbowl. I'm not sure, but I think NFL is not broadcasted (broadcast?) anymore on Italian television.
"Hockey" in Belgium means what we'd call "field hockey," and seems to be fairly big there. "Hockey" here, of course, is ice hockey. I've never been interested in it, perhaps because my parents weren't...as a child I was taken to baseball, (American) football, basketball, and even soccer matches, but never hockey. For soccer, this was in the days of the North American Soccer League. Pele, Beckenbauer and so on playing for the New York Cosmos.

And yes, the past of "broadcast" is "broadcast." :-)

Quote:
I find rugby too messy, with no discernible rules. Am football is much more rigorous and orderly.
I've described rugby (BBC America shows the Six Nations) as "like football but more chaotic."

-----

We're getting lots more soccer on TV than we used to, just in the last few years; one channel makes a thing of the Premier League and shows several of them live every week (streams all of them on its website, I believe).

It's interesting to note differences between countries in Europe: rugby's big in France but seems to be nearly unknown in Belgium. And cricket is a British thing that didn't catch on elsewhere. Probably because it's silly.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old November 8th, 2014, 04:33 PM   #28600
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

By the way, the Mets/Yankees thing was sort of in passing. I just looked it up again. Le Monde's fashion-and-lifestyle magazine has a sort of New York theme this week and I was glancing through it, and there's an item about the phenomenon of celebrities showing up at Knicks (basketball) games. The writer sort of remarks that New York has two "mythic American-football teams" - the aforementioned Mets and Yankees - so Yankee Stadium (again, baseball actually) could have become the place for celebrities to see and be seen, but basketball's played indoors.

But I have a feeling they'd be merciless if the New York Times mistook PSG for a rugby team....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Tags
highways, motorways