daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 13th, 2014, 12:54 AM   #28761
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
I think quick BJ on intersection while waiting for green is okay.
LOL either you are faster than me, or Bratislava traffice lights are insanely long (or your wife is really really good in which case I offer my congrats )
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 13th, 2014, 12:55 AM   #28762
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Zut alors !

Voilà : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle...ates_of_France
See pic at upper right, and the caption.
2B is the Département of Haute-Corse (one of two départements in Corsica) ; the symbol above it should be the logo of the region of Corsica.

(Have to do everything around here...)

EDIT: Arrows for Verso.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Verso liked this post
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2014, 04:44 PM   #28763
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Everyone's behaving today....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old November 13th, 2014, 06:11 PM   #28764
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3438

Quote:
Does Insurance rates depend on counties? Croatia is not federal republic or?
it is not the federal republic. we have 20 administrative regions (you have 8 of them in SK, i hope we will also lower it), but their areas don't match with the plate-codes areas. one of the factors that significantly affects on the insurance rate is exactly the licence plate code because insurance companies' opinion is that not every area has the same level of the risk. there are 7 groups:
I - KR, ZG (176)
II - SB, VK (160)
III - SK, ST (146)
IV - BJ, ČK, GS, IM, KA, KC, KT, NG, OS, PU, RI, VT, VŽ, ZD, ŽU (132)
V - BM, DJ, DU, MA, OG, ŠI (119)
VI - DE, KŽ, NA, PŽ, SL, VU (109)
VII - DA (100)

the numbers in brackets show the price of the insurance if insurance for the 7th group costs 100, so you can see that the difference is quite large.
Old November 13th, 2014, 08:50 PM   #28765
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 894

I guess that someone in Guadeloupe could put a 2B and a Corsican flag on their plate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
It can also mean other sorts of significant boundary. Examples: in American history, "the frontier" was used for the edge of European settlement at any given time, and people living in newly settled areas near that edge were said to be living "on the frontier"; then there's the voiceover at the beginning of Star Trek that starts "Space: the final frontier." I wouldn't talk of the frontier between two U.S. states or the administrative subdivisions of other countries...that's not significant enough.

EDIT: I just looked at the comments to the MW definition. Interesting that someone mentions "Doctors Without Borders," which is the English name for the organization that in French is called "Médecins sans frontières".
I will move this discussion to here and add that to me 'frontier' also has connotations of a real barrier, Baarle-Nassau and Baarle-Other One aren't separated by a frontier but Berlin was.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2014, 09:02 PM   #28766
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
I guess that someone in Guadeloupe could put a 2B and a Corsican flag on their plate.
Indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
I will move this discussion to here and add that to me 'frontier' also has connotations of a real barrier, Baarle-Nassau and Baarle-Other One aren't separated by a frontier but Berlin was.
Indeed.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old November 13th, 2014, 09:03 PM   #28767
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

Are you looking for a job?
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2014, 09:11 PM   #28768
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1751

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
it is not the federal republic. we have 20 administrative regions (you have 8 of them in SK, i hope we will also lower it), but their areas don't match with the plate-codes areas. one of the factors that significantly affects on the insurance rate is exactly the licence plate code because insurance companies' opinion is that not every area has the same level of the risk. there are 7 groups:
I - KR, ZG (176)
II - SB, VK (160)
III - SK, ST (146)
IV - BJ, ČK, GS, IM, KA, KC, KT, NG, OS, PU, RI, VT, VŽ, ZD, ŽU (132)
V - BM, DJ, DU, MA, OG, ŠI (119)
VI - DE, KŽ, NA, PŽ, SL, VU (109)
VII - DA (100)

the numbers in brackets show the price of the insurance if insurance for the 7th group costs 100, so you can see that the difference is quite large.
I'm sorry, but isn't it discriminative? I can't imagine something similar here. Although I work in spatial planning, i can't imagine how can locality affect the safety and the risk of accident in general. I understand the different insurance rate for different car categories or for drivers in line with when their DL is valid from, but locality? It makes no sense to me. Wasn't their attempts to withdraw it?

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2014, 09:20 PM   #28769
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18303

In Germany it's the same...
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2014, 09:23 PM   #28770
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
I'm sorry, but isn't it discriminative? I can't imagine something similar here. Although I work in spatial planning, i can't imagine how can locality affect the safety and the risk of accident in general. I understand the different insurance rate for different car categories or for drivers in line with when their DL is valid from, but locality? It makes no sense to me. Wasn't their attempts to withdraw it?
Welcome to the free market.

Seriously, it happens here too. I have a higher risk of my car being stolen or broken into because I park it on the street in a big city. Higher risk of accident (or at least certain types of accident) because there's denser traffic....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old November 13th, 2014, 09:23 PM   #28771
x-type
con los terroristas

Quote:
frankly - being in the 4th category i am happy about it
but yes, it is discriminative, i agree.
but there is even larger nonsense: for instance, i am in 4th category with my BJ plates, and only 11 km from my house starts ZG zone. and that village which has ZG plates is 72 km far from the source of expensive insurance for the 1st category - Zagreb itself. i really feel sorry for those people who visit Zagreb with their cars maybe once in 3 months, and live in peacefull villages far from large urban areas, and pay high rates only for having ZG on their plates.
Old November 13th, 2014, 09:30 PM   #28772
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 894

My insurance went down £1000 when I moved to Aber.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2014, 09:35 PM   #28773
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

Quote:
I'm sorry, but isn't it discriminative? I can't imagine something similar here. Although I work in spatial planning, i can't imagine how can locality affect the safety and the risk of accident in general
Are you kidding? Compare Trento and Naples. They're both in Italy, but in Naples the risk of accident is many many times higher.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2014, 09:35 PM   #28774
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Talking of Baarle:

http://www.lalibre.be/actu/politique...70a5ad0ee2e0ab

http://deredactie.be/cm/vrtnieuws/politiek/1.2147264

Three Flemish political parties - the ones that are in power - want to rename the province of Antwerp to "Midden-Brabant."

PS to Chris/George and his taalgenoten*: what's "ontvoogding"?
*If that doesn't exist, it should. Not that that's for me to say.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old November 13th, 2014, 09:36 PM   #28775
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
frankly - being in the 4th category i am happy about it
but yes, it is discriminative, i agree.
but there is even larger nonsense: for instance, i am in 4th category with my BJ plates, and only 11 km from my house starts ZG zone. and that village which has ZG plates is 72 km far from the source of expensive insurance for the 1st category - Zagreb itself. i really feel sorry for those people who visit Zagreb with their cars maybe once in 3 months, and live in peacefull villages far from large urban areas, and pay high rates only for having ZG on their plates.
But those rates are calculated according to the number of accidents caused by drivers from particular area, aren't they? Hope it is not made up by mediocre clerk.

Old November 13th, 2014, 09:39 PM   #28776
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Are you kidding? Compare Trento and Naples. They're both in Italy, but in Naples the risk of accident is many many times higher.
I understand. But... Why should you be discriminated if you have not caused any accident. If you cause accident, you will lose the bonus. I think it is fair. And it is easy to be involved in accident in big cities than in peaceful and quiet settlements.

My insurence rate decrease annually as the time goes by (the bonus rises). When I cause an accident, it will restart.

Last edited by volodaaaa; November 13th, 2014 at 09:48 PM.
Old November 13th, 2014, 09:40 PM   #28777
x-type
con los terroristas

Quote:
But those rates are calculated according to the number of accidents caused by drivers from particular area, aren't they? Hope it is not made up by mediocre clerk.
probably yes. generally they have used some kind of risk potential factor.
Old November 13th, 2014, 09:40 PM   #28778
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Not only the risk of accident but also insurance frauds.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2014, 09:51 PM   #28779
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

Quote:
It might be. Would you say that on a European level, there are differences in the accident rate by nationalities? Shouldn't the insurance companies include this in the risk?

I think that the last time the EU was busy with the different rate for women and men. The women had lower rate because of their lower risk. This was deemed discriminatory.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2014, 10:09 PM   #28780
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

Quote:
I understand. But... Why should you be discriminated if you have not caused any accident.
Insurance is all about statistic. If you live in a certain area, you are more likely to cause or be involved in an accident: companies have more expenses and therefore your insurance costs more.
I fail to see the problem.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways