daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 10th, 2014, 09:45 PM   #29301
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2111

Just got back from London. Fish&chips + stout at the Two Chairmen was something to remember... thanks Road_UK
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 10th, 2014, 09:52 PM   #29302
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriedisUnIzlietne View Post
No, potatoes are called 'kartupeļi', 'bimbaļi', 'buļbas', 'tupeņi', 'pampaļi', 'zemes pupas' and similar. Zemliki or maybe zemlikas sound like they could mean the straw that was used as a pillow centuries ago. But it's only my suspicion.
Potatoes are ziemniaky in Polish and zemiaky in Slovak. And they come from under in October .

What do you mean with our "spalis"?

'kartupeļi', the Russian/German/Polish as well
'buļbas', Belarussian

Last edited by Surel; December 10th, 2014 at 09:58 PM.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2014, 09:54 PM   #29303
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

2:18 p.m. (my time): Road_UK unsubscribes from thread.
27 minutes later: Spinoza, who was thinking of leaving the thread a week earlier...comes back and thanks Road_UK for pub recommendation.

Will Road_UK see thanks, or will they be like two ships passing in the night? Stay tuned....

Seriously, you could both just not read the posts that you find uninteresting or silly.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Road_UK liked this post
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2014, 10:01 PM   #29304
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Seriously, you could both just not read the posts that you find uninteresting or silly.
To know if a post is uninteresting or silly, I have to read it first. But I can't un-read it afterwards.
Old December 10th, 2014, 10:05 PM   #29305
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
2:18 p.m. (my time): Road_UK unsubscribes from thread.
27 minutes later: Spinoza, who was thinking of leaving the thread a week earlier...comes back and thanks Road_UK for pub recommendation.

Will Road_UK see thanks, or will they be like two ships passing in the night? Stay tuned....

I only came back because you peeked.

There are only posts here that I don't find interesting at the moment. The entire Slavic population has decended on this thread in order to compare words between their neighbouring countries, leaving people who have nothing wih these languages being bored to tears. It's the same in the International Border Crossing thread, where all attention is turning east. I tried to post a pic of the odd European or American border crossing, but it swiftly moves over to the Balkans again, usually resulting in mumbo-jumbo.
Now, are we making this forum, and indeed this section together? Or is this section strictly reserved for ex-communist countries only now?

piotr71 liked this post
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2014, 10:06 PM   #29306
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

EDIT: What follows is for Spinoza (if applicable to both). Road, have a glass of Pays d'Oc. Or try a change of subject.

Well, I think Road_UK's issue is this discussion of exotic names for the months that started a day or two ago in a (currently locked) thread.

It takes much less time to see that so-and-so is still talking about names of the months in [fill in Eastern European language of your choice] and ignore the post if you're not interested in that than it does to read it carefully.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old December 10th, 2014, 10:08 PM   #29307
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Just got back from London. Fish&chips + stout at the Two Chairmen was something to remember... thanks Road_UK
My pleasure, G. Glad your're back, so we can balance this section a little again

Penn's Woods, g.spinoza liked this post
Old December 10th, 2014, 10:10 PM   #29308
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Rolleyes.

(And when did I peek?)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old December 10th, 2014, 10:11 PM   #29309
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
EDIT: What follows is for Spinoza (if applicable to both). Road, have a glass of Pays d'Oc. Or try a change of subject.

Well, I think Road_UK's issue is this discussion of exotic names for the months that started a day or two ago in a (currently locked) thread.

It takes much less time to see that so-and-so is still talking about names of the months in [fill in Eastern European language of your choice] and ignore the post if you're not interested in that than it does to read it carefully.
I, and ideed a lot of others, are opening threads we are subscribed to, hoping to find some interesting stuff. Click on this thread, and you get to find out the translation of the word potatoe in a zillion languages. You get my point?
Old December 10th, 2014, 10:16 PM   #29310
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Hmmm.

Reminds me of the early days of Outlook, when every time an e-mail arrived you'd get a pop-up in the middle of your screen asking if you wanted to read it now. (It was opaque, too, and wouldn't go away until you clicked yes or no....in later versions, they made it sort of fade away if you ignored it.) So everyone started automatically clicking yes. That's how my workplace got its first computer virus.

Personally, figuring out how to disable the damn thing did wonders for my sanity. (Whether said sanity has lasted is another matter.)

The moral of that is (said the Duchess), you don't have to open the thread every time you're told there's something new on it.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old December 10th, 2014, 10:17 PM   #29311
Road_UK
BANNED

I like a clean User CP
Old December 10th, 2014, 10:21 PM   #29312
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

I'm not subscribed to any threads here.

I look at H&A all the time and currently have Infrastructure and Mobility general developments (in case anyone stalks, I mean sees, any interesting license plates), the BECafe and KoffieshopNL minimized. I use "refresh all" so they, well, all refresh and I can see at a glance if anything's new. And so much happened on BECafe in the middle of the night my time I'm waiting until later to catch up. (You've been warned....)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old December 10th, 2014, 10:29 PM   #29313
Road_UK
BANNED

The moment you are putting a word or two in a thread and submit, you are subscribed. Because I divide my time over this section and the Dutch section (so do you now, who knew your Dutch is that good ) and some German and French threads as well, I stay updated through my CP, which is particularly handy for guys like me who are always on the road and use this forum through an Android app rather a lot. So I make an effort to visit the treads I am subscribed to, only to get confronted with this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriedisUnIzlietne View Post
No, potatoes are called 'kartupeļi', 'bimbaļi', 'buļbas', 'tupeņi', 'pampaļi', 'zemes pupas' and similar. Zemliki or maybe zemlikas sound like they could mean the straw that was used as a pillow centuries ago. But it's only my suspicion.
(no offence intended, poster)
Old December 10th, 2014, 10:54 PM   #29314
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

I think it's time to stop talking about how different things are said in different languages. Let's start a new topic. For example metric vs imperial system, ethnic minorities without stable residence or place names that have funny (sexual) meanings in another language.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

Road_UK, Penn's Woods liked this post
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2014, 11:32 PM   #29315
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
For example metric vs imperial system,
Yesterday I visited National Physics Laboratories near London. And this is what I found...

Eh. Brits.
Old December 11th, 2014, 12:44 AM   #29316
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

In 1844 we were probably still using measurement units different from city to city...
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2014, 01:29 AM   #29317
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
sorry, I meant Gornji Lipovčani, i have been google-earthing it.
but now i see that actually village Mostari is the closest to the centre (62 km from each).

i was also completely wrong pointing the closest Hungarian place as Bábocsa, and closest Bosnian as Gradina Donja, while it should be Gyekenés in Hungary and Bosanska Kostajnica in BIH.
I know, Croatia is long, but it isn't much wider than Slovenia. :P Wikipedia mentions the Austrian incentre, but there's no damn word about this point in Slovenia anywhere, and I googled all villages around it and nothing, which is outright pathetic. I'm pretty sure there's no monument there either, because there's no photo there in Panoramio or Flickr.

Last edited by Verso; December 11th, 2014 at 03:26 AM.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2014, 02:17 AM   #29318
aubergine72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
I know, Croatia is long, but it isn't much wider than Slovenia. :P Wikipedia mentions the Austrian incentre, but there's no damn word about this point in Slovenia anywhere, and I googled all villages around it and nothing, which is outright pathetic. I'm pretty sure there's no monument there either, because there's no photo there in Panoramio or Flickr.
Amateurs

The geographical center of Bulgaria is a place called Uzana in Stara Planina

Monument:

Last edited by aubergine72; December 11th, 2014 at 02:23 AM.
aubergine72 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2014, 03:07 AM   #29319
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

That's the geometric centre of Bulgaria, not the farthest point from the border. We have that as well.

PS: http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italia_..._geografica%29
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2014, 04:08 AM   #29320
aubergine72

You're such a xenophobe
aubergine72 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways