daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 12th, 2014, 11:12 AM   #29361
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
As far as I recollect the geographical terms are stemming either from physical geography as e.g. geomorphology - thus Apennines peninsula. Or from human geography, such as political geography - thus Italy.

Now from what does Italian geographical area stems from? Is it a political or physical term? I would suggest that it is a nonsense term.
Bear in mind that the word "Italy" long predates any political state. Romans called "Italia" everything below the Alps, even before the Roman Empire, when Rome was just a bunch of houses along the Tiber (and when in the rest of Europe there was basically nothing and no one). So it may look a nonsense term to you, but it is not.
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 12th, 2014, 12:46 PM   #29362
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Anyway, the largest width of Slovenia is about 115 km. (through a point SW of Trebnje)
Are you sure? I can measure 137,9 km
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2014, 02:35 PM   #29363
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Moreover, the current I-SLO border is less than 70 years old and it doesn't follow any natural feature (watershed, river). Why should someone choose it as a boundary for a geographical (i.e. physical) region?
Because Italy lies on the Italian-, not Balkan Peninsula (which would exclude Trieste as well). If the border is the watershed, then Italy can as well extend to Greece. Why would the border be by Rijeka?

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
Are you sure? I can measure 137,9 km
Impossible. It's no more than 117 km at the widest point. You're probably talking about the longest north-south line, but that's not the definition of width (shortest distance from border to border).
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2014, 03:15 PM   #29364
Surel

Likes (Received): 2154

Quote:
Everyone agrees in the existence of geographical regions such the Iberian peninsula (Spain+Portugal+Andorra+Gibraltar), British Isles (UK+Ireland+Man+Jersey+Alderney+Guersey+Sark), Scandinavia (Norway+Sweden), ecc... It doesn't mean that Spain wants to annex Portugal, the UK wants to annex Ireland or Sweden wants to annex Norway. It's just a mere geographical definition. I don't see why the "Italian geographical region", who includes most of Italy, chunks of Switzerland, Slovenia, Croatia and France and microstates (San Marino, Vatican, Monaco and Malta) upset many people and it's seen has having political (Greater Italy, Irridentism) connotations.
Moreover, the current I-SLO border is less than 70 years old and it doesn't follow any natural feature (watershed, river). Why should someone choose it as a boundary for a geographical (i.e. physical) region?

Here you have:
Muncipalities not included in the Italian Republic belonging to the Italian geographical region.
http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comuni_...afica_italiana
Municipalities included in the Italian Republic not included in the Italian geographical region.
Yes, and there also exists Apennines peninsula or if you want Italian peninsula. All those peninsulas are defined by the nature self.

If we would talk about borders then it would follow some historical or present political borders.

The political names may become used to annotate also geographical terms, there is no problem with it. I don't think you got my point

But what is Italian geographical area? What should it mean in the science of Geography? To me it seems a nonsense, unnecessary, made up term that doesn't have any physical, nor political, underlying reality.

Last edited by Surel; December 12th, 2014 at 07:50 PM. Reason: gr
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2014, 03:20 PM   #29365
Surel

Is there a page where one could see areas and years of Google Street View updates?

That is something like this:

2014, all areas updated in that year, sorted out by countries and dates
2013, all areas update in that year, sorted out by countries and dates
Old December 12th, 2014, 03:26 PM   #29366
Surel

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coverag...le_Street_View
Old December 12th, 2014, 05:23 PM   #29367
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Everyone agrees in the existence of geographical regions such the Iberian peninsula (Spain+Portugal+Andorra+Gibraltar), British Isles (UK+Ireland+Man+Jersey+Alderney+Guersey+Sark), Scandinavia (Norway+Sweden), ecc... It doesn't mean that Spain wants to annex Portugal, the UK wants to annex Ireland or Sweden wants to annex Norway. It's just a mere geographical definition. I don't see why the "Italian geographical region", who includes most of Italy, chunks of Switzerland, Slovenia, Croatia and France and microstates (San Marino, Vatican, Monaco and Malta) upset many people and it's seen has having political (Greater Italy, Irridentism) connotations.

Here you have:
Muncipalities not included in the Italian Republic belonging to the Italian geographical region.
Municipalities included in the Italian Republic not included in the Italian geographical region.
Actually, I did read a book once about the Reformation, in which the author felt the need to refer to the "Atlantic Isles" so as not to offend the Irish, and to explain that in the preface. And some years back that came up in this thread. But I'd never seen the term "Atlantic Isles" before, and the problem had never occurred to me.

But really, I think in English these days everyone would take Italy as referring to the nation-state. If you want to include San Marino and the Vatican, it becomes the Italian Peninsula. (Does that then lose Sicily and Sardinia...?)

What you do in Italian is your business.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2014, 05:24 PM   #29368
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Bear in mind that the word "Italy" long predates any political state. Romans called "Italia" everything below the Alps, even before the Roman Empire, when Rome was just a bunch of houses along the Tiber (and when in the rest of Europe there was basically nothing and no one). So it may look a nonsense term to you, but it is not.
That's true.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old December 12th, 2014, 05:26 PM   #29369
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Because Italy lies on the Italian-, not Balkan Peninsula (which would exclude Trieste as well). If the border is the watershed, then Italy can as well extend to Greece. Why would the border be by Rijeka?

Impossible. It's no more than 117 km at the widest point. You're probably talking about the longest north-south line, but that's not the definition of width (shortest distance from border to border).
Huh? To both points.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old December 12th, 2014, 06:02 PM   #29370
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubergine72 View Post
How do you find this?
using freemaptools

aubergine72 liked this post
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2014, 06:19 PM   #29371
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19388

keep it more on topic please

Friendly note: although the Roadside Rest Area is for miscellaneous topics, it is not a personal chat. Personal messages are best sent through a PM or via other applications. Excess offtopic chat will be deleted, thank you.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

bogdymol liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2014, 06:24 PM   #29372
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Duly noted.

Friendly request, though: Can capacity be added to the PM boxes?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old December 12th, 2014, 06:26 PM   #29373
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Don't you delete old messages?
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2014, 06:31 PM   #29374
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

DISCLAIMER: This is not personal chat but on the topic of PM capacity. :-)

Sometimes, a paper trail is handy. And I could clean out some of it, but that's one more thing to do.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Road_UK liked this post
Old December 12th, 2014, 07:47 PM   #29375
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1748

Nice topic development ��

Penn's Woods liked this post
volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2014, 08:44 PM   #29376
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Well, what do YOU think about whether Nova Gorica can be considered part of the "Italian geographical area" (in the language of your choice)?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old December 12th, 2014, 08:48 PM   #29377
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Well, what do YOU think about whether Nova Gorica can be considered part of the "Italian geographical area" (in the language of your choice)?
If it's part of the "extended" Italian Peninsula, then it's fine with me (not sure about hofburg though ). Koper or Postojna OTOH...

Quote:
Huh? To both points.
What do you mean?
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2014, 08:57 PM   #29378
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

1) How did Greece come into it?
2) "Width" to me implies east-to-west. I would say that Illinois, which is considerably longer north and south than it is east and west, is X miles (or km if you insist) wide by measuring the distance from the eastern border to the westernmost point on the Mississippi side. I'd likewise say that Kansas is X miles wide by measuring it from east to west, even though in that case the east-west measurement is much larger than the north-south.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old December 12th, 2014, 09:02 PM   #29379
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Well, this would explain a lot:

http://www.itv.com/news/2014-12-12/m...alace-gardens/

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old December 12th, 2014, 09:52 PM   #29380
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
1) How did Greece come into it?
2) "Width" to me implies east-to-west. I would say that Illinois, which is considerably longer north and south than it is east and west, is X miles (or km if you insist) wide by measuring the distance from the eastern border to the westernmost point on the Mississippi side. I'd likewise say that Kansas is X miles wide by measuring it from east to west, even though in that case the east-west measurement is much larger than the north-south.
In geometry (i.e. a rectangle) usually the lenght is the longer side, while the width is the shorter one. In geographic entities is a bit trickie, since one may consider cardinal directions.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways