daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 12th, 2014, 09:57 PM   #29381
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
1) How did Greece come into it?
Never mind. Better question is: why is Monaco included?

Quote:
2) "Width" to me implies east-to-west. I would say that Illinois, which is considerably longer north and south than it is east and west, is X miles (or km if you insist) wide by measuring the distance from the eastern border to the westernmost point on the Mississippi side. I'd likewise say that Kansas is X miles wide by measuring it from east to west, even though in that case the east-west measurement is much larger than the north-south.
Oh, it's that childish definition of width. It's the other way around here: east-west is length (dolžina), north-south is width (širina). Anyway, what I mean is the shortest distance from border to border (including coastline). There's no point in Slovenia where the shortest distance from border to border would be 138 km.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 12th, 2014, 10:11 PM   #29382
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
If it's part of the "extended" Italian Peninsula, then it's fine with me (not sure about hofburg though ). Koper or Postojna OTOH...
As eastern boundary of the Italian geographical region, they chose Fusine-Predil-Triglav-just east of Ijdria, just east of Postojna-Slivnica-Sneznik-Bakar. This boundary (except in the Julian Alps), is not clearly marked by a watershed, so drawing a geographical border is difficult and controversial. Something like the Euro-Asian border within Russia. However, geographers make a decision considering different aspects and people accept it.

BTW, if you look at Penisola Balcanica in the Italian Wikipedia, you'll find a map that is in clear contraddiction with the definition of Italian geographical region:

Isn't weird to think as Trieste being part of the Balkan area and Novi Sad not belonging to it?
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2014, 10:33 PM   #29383
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Isn't weird to think as Trieste being part of the Balkan area and Novi Sad not belonging to it?
It's probably because peninsula is land surrounded with water on three sides, and the Danube, Isonzo and Vipacco/Vipava are also waters, not just seas are.
Old December 12th, 2014, 11:12 PM   #29384
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
It's probably because peninsula is land surrounded with water on three sides, and the Danube, Isonzo and Vipacco/Vipava are also waters, not just seas are.
Yes, but the sea from Trieste to Tulcea is enough to make the Balkan area a peninsula. However, from most people: Balkan=ExYu+AL+RO+BG. Geographically it's obviously wrong, thus.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old December 12th, 2014, 11:27 PM   #29385
Verso
Islander

It does look like a peninsula, no?

PS: leave me out of it, I'm an islander
Old December 13th, 2014, 02:09 AM   #29386
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Likes (Received): 4063

Everything what is southern from the Danube is on Balkan.
Autoputevi kao hobi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2014, 02:17 AM   #29387
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputevi kao hobi View Post
Everything what is southern from the Danube is on Balkan.
Since I leave South of the Danube in Ingolstadt, I must be in the Balkans too
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2014, 02:24 AM   #29388
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

Quote:
this map is exclusively by geographical defition, and not political, one of key Balkans geographic elements are Dinaric alps, which start as north as, well me , and Panonian basin (where Novi Sad lies, for exemple) isn't included in geographical Balkan (but partly in political).
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2014, 02:26 AM   #29389
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Likes (Received): 4063

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
Since I leave South of the Danube in Ingolstadt, I must be in the Balkans too
You know what i mean
Autoputevi kao hobi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2014, 10:27 AM   #29390
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18308

Is this for real?
https://www.facebook.com/RevNews/posts/421112358042332

Quote:
The ‪#‎LeyMordaza‬ (Gag Law) has been approved in ‪#‎Spain‬. With this law, the production and distribution of images such as this one can get you a 30.000€ fine.

1. Photographing or recording police - 600 to 30.000€ fine.
2. Peaceful disobedience to authority - 600 to 30.000€ fine.
3. Occupying banks as means of protest - 600 to 30.000€ fine.
4. Not formalizing a protest - 600 to 30.000€ fine.
5. For carrying out assemblies or meetings in public spaces - 100 to 600€ fine.
6. For impeding or stopping an eviction - 600 to 30.000€ fine.
7. For presence at an occupied space (not only social centers but also houses occupied by evicted families) - 100 to 600€ fine.
8. Police black lists for protestors, activists and alternative press have been legalized.
9. Meeting or gathering in front of Congress - 600 to 30.000€ fine.
10. Appealing the fines in court requires the payment of judicial costs, whose amount depends on the fine.
11. It allows random identity checks, allowing for profiling of immigrants and minorities.
12. Police can now carry out raids at their discretion, without the need for "order" to have been disrupted.
13. External bodily searches are also now allowed at police discretion.
14. The government can prohibit any protest at will, if it feels "order" will be disrupted.
15. Any ill-defined "critical infrastructure" is now considered a forbidden zone for public gatherings if it might affect their functioning.
16. There are also fines for people who climb buildings and monuments without permission.
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2014, 11:16 AM   #29391
italystf

Abusive occupation of public soil and disruption of public services are already criminal offences in most countries and are normally pushed with fines.
Old December 13th, 2014, 12:07 PM   #29392
Christophorus

Likes (Received): 87

Good morning fellows, idk if this is the right place, but since a few days no posted (embedded) videos show up to me, i just see plain text in the postings. Pictures show up normally. Happens in different threads, i use Firefox 34, could it be caused by the Flashblock Addon?

Any ideas and help are gladly appreciated!

----------------------------------------------------

been in: al, at, ba, bg, ch, (cs), cz, (dd), de, dk, fr, gr, hr, hu, ie, it, li, lu, me, mk, mt, nl, pl, rs.ba, rs, ru, se, sk, us, (yu)
Christophorus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2014, 12:21 PM   #29393
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1755

Quote:
Well, what do YOU think about whether Nova Gorica can be considered part of the "Italian geographical area" (in the language of your choice)?
I will try to make it clear, but I am afraid it will be more nebulous. First of all, there are many many points of view:

One example: Great Britain, British Isles and stuff.
Not every boundary must be sharp and obvious.'Balkan' is a very good example to clarify:
You can perceive this term in terms of geology, culture or simply aligned to countries or subregions for press purposes.

By no means there is something like Italian geographic area or space. Generally geographic area is an inconceivably complex space you can divide in multiple ways in different levels.

Sometimes, scientists (even within one country or institute) can't agree on some issues.

Examples: from geologic point of view some authors assume that certain parts of Hungary are parts of Balkan. Note this is impossible to tell in terms of culture! Serbia is generally located on Balkan peninsula but in fact, Vojvodina is outside Balkan cultural area.

The cultural area is also tricky. Let's imagine Slovakia. Are we part of Hungarian cultural area? Of course. Are we part of German cultural area? Yes. Are we part of Slavic cultural area? Yes. Aren't we poart of North-atlantic cultural area? Yes we are. So tell me what cultural area are we members? You can't tell exactly.

Another good example is Greece. The country is located on Peloponnese peninsula. Peloponnese peninsula is part of Balkan peninsula. Thus literally, Greece lies on Balkan. But nobody refers to Greece as Balkan. Have you ever asked yourself why? Because Greece, despite the geologic point of view, is not Balkan cultural area. Furthermore Greeks themselves does not like consider as Balkans due to bloodshed there they had nothing to do with.

Sometimes experts, having Greece and the rest of Balkan in mind, refer to 'southeastern Europe'. But in geologic point of view, European part of Turkey is part thereof too.

Complicated as hell.

Penn's Woods liked this post
volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2014, 12:29 PM   #29394
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19410

marriage proposal gone wrong in the Netherlands

The plan for the guy was to land in the backyard, but the platform tilted and crashed into the neighbor's house.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

piotr71 liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2014, 01:29 PM   #29395
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
Sadly yes . Thanks to that fascist government we have. But next year we'll throw them away .
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2014, 03:14 PM   #29396
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2294

Prepare your LOL at this guy

cinxxx, Verso, riiga liked this post
RipleyLV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2014, 03:26 PM   #29397
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2114

Sounds legit
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2014, 03:59 PM   #29398
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
this map is exclusively by geographical defition, and not political, one of key Balkans geographic elements are Dinaric alps, which start as north as, well me , and Panonian basin (where Novi Sad lies, for exemple) isn't included in geographical Balkan (but partly in political).
Karlovac lies on the Balkan Peninsula and in the Pannonian Basin at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
By no means there is something like Italian geographic area or space.
There, it's all clear now.
Old December 13th, 2014, 04:03 PM   #29399
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Abusive occupation of public soil and disruption of public services are already criminal offences in most countries and are normally pushed with fines.
This seems to go beyond that.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2014, 04:58 PM   #29400
italystf

Quote:
This seems to go beyond that.
Yes, some points of that list are eccessive, but many other are already a reality everywhere.

Tags
highways, motorways