daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 16th, 2014, 09:38 AM   #29441
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Good quality, electricity on the car is still working.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 16th, 2014, 01:03 PM   #29442
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21240

Does anybody know which software is this guy using to capture and plot this data and map overlay on his driving video?

Perennial Quest liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2014, 01:12 PM   #29443
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2111

Maybe you can ask the guy himself on his youtube channel
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2014, 05:09 PM   #29444
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

Merry Christmas!

I-17 Mystery Tree 2014 by Arizona Department of Transportation, on Flickr

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Penn's Woods liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2014, 05:16 PM   #29445
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

All those people in the left lane are trying to get a closer look at the tree?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

RipleyLV liked this post
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2014, 05:02 AM   #29446
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

no just Americans
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2014, 06:14 PM   #29447
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Here's news, which might be appropriate for the Borders thread:

Apparently, the U.S. is on the point of normalizing relations with Cuba. Obama and Castro to give speeches (in Washington and Havana respectively) at noon eastern time. (17:00 GMT)

Personally, I say high time.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/18/wo...=top-news&_r=0

EDIT: Not quite..."Ordinary tourism will remain prohibited," says the article....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Last edited by Penn's Woods; December 17th, 2014 at 06:36 PM.
Old December 17th, 2014, 06:48 PM   #29448
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1819

Estonia has such a lovely climate

Photos taken from: http://rahvahaal.delfi.ee/news/pildi...st?id=70388825

piotr71, hofburg liked this post
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2014, 06:51 PM   #29449
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Here's news, which might be appropriate for the Borders thread:

Apparently, the U.S. is on the point of normalizing relations with Cuba. Obama and Castro to give speeches (in Washington and Havana respectively) at noon eastern time. (17:00 GMT)

Personally, I say high time.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/18/wo...=top-news&_r=0

EDIT: Not quite..."Ordinary tourism will remain prohibited," says the article....
Someone once told me that US tourists still sail to Cuba all the time in their private yachts from Miami...
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2014, 06:58 PM   #29450
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Or go through Canada or Mexico....

Coincidentally, a group from where I work was just there last week. If you can convince the State Department it's educational....

New York Times article (and an hour ago, they were really saying "full relations" in the headline) says diplomatic relations will be established, embassies opened, restrictions "eased" on the 12 existing categories of trips that are permitted (family, educational, journalism, etc.)... Banking restrictions eased... People who send money to family members will be permitted to send more than they can now, visitors will be able to buy a certain amount of goods to bring out (so the well-known ban on Cuban cigars...? The Times does mention "tobacco products" as being permitted.)

Personally, while I've never had any particular desire to go to Cuba, the travel ban has always seemed like a restriction on my rights, just as a matter of principle.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old December 17th, 2014, 07:02 PM   #29451
Road_UK
BANNED

Cuba is still a very popular tourist destination for the Dutch, Brits and Germans.

I went to the Dominican Republic a few years ago and made a lot of American friends there. I guess you won't find them in the resorts on Cuba...
Old December 17th, 2014, 07:03 PM   #29452
Suburbanist
on the road

I think this is a bad move. Cuba in on shaky financial state. Its latest backer (Venezuela) is no longer capable of doling out money and oil to the evil Castro regime.

I wish that in the 1990s EU, US, Canada had all teamed up to deal a crushing financial and economic (non-military) blow to the island economy and regime, making its government no longer capable of acting as a government, Romania- or Poland-style. Then, democracy would have followed. It still can be done today, though the task is more difficult now. But Obama chose to appease and make friends with despicable commies ruling in Havana.

I don't think countries can be "bombed into democracy" (unless in terms of support for internal democratic movements to topple dictatorships), that rarely if ever works. However, I do think countries can be "bankrupted into democracy", especially on this day and age of sophisticated international finances, multilateral relationships etc. And I have a list of countries I'd like to see in complete economic chaos so that their dictatorship regimes cannot hold power any longer, such as Cuba, North Korea (which should be annexed by South Korea), all countries in the Persian Gulf (I have a special place in hell for Saudi Arabia wahabbists and terror-sponsor Qatari elites), Brunei, Swaziland and a few others.

Kanadzie liked this post

Last edited by Suburbanist; December 17th, 2014 at 07:09 PM.
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2014, 07:07 PM   #29453
Road_UK
BANNED

But the people who live on that island are lovely. Give them a taste of freedom and they'll generate a revolution themselves, just like what happened in Europe in 1989.
Old December 17th, 2014, 07:24 PM   #29454
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

The analogy of Nixon opening up to China also comes to mind. Although we can debate just how much of an improvement the sort of capitalist communism they have now is over Maoism.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old December 17th, 2014, 07:28 PM   #29455
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
The analogy of Nixon opening up to China also comes to mind. Although we can debate just how much of an improvement the sort of capitalist communism they have now is over Maoism.
My view is that is is always better to have an impoverished dictatorship that cannot exert much influence or arm itself heavily than to have a rich dictatorship with plenty of money to spare.

Case in mind: China and all the theocratic terror-sponsoring countries on the Gulf region are far more dangerous, vile and negative for the World than - say - your random subsahaarian African dictatorship, which can be as cruel as the rich ones, but cannot exert much influence abroad, or sponsor terror groups, or developed advanced infrastructure or welfare systems to keep the population in check.

So it is better to remove dictators first, then thaw relations and increase ties. Example: Myanmar, or the former commie countries in Eastern Europe.
Old December 17th, 2014, 07:31 PM   #29456
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Well, the U.S. never (as far as I can remember) broke off diplomatic relations with the former Communist countries in Europe (including the Soviet Union itself) or prohibited Americans from traveling to them. At least not on a long-term basis. Other than Albania. So our treatment of Cuba has always seemed a bit harsh, judged in that context. Why the difference - because they're next door? (Yes, maybe in 1961 we could cry "Monroe doctrine!" and treat Cuba as a Soviet incursion into our sphere of influence, but since 1991?)

And I'm not sure removing dictators is our responsibility or our right. At heart, I'm a Washingtonian non-interventionist.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Road_UK, hofburg, italystf liked this post

Last edited by Penn's Woods; December 17th, 2014 at 07:37 PM.
Old December 17th, 2014, 07:47 PM   #29457
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
My view is that is is always better to have an impoverished dictatorship that cannot exert much influence or arm itself heavily than to have a rich dictatorship with plenty of money to spare.

Case in mind: China and all the theocratic terror-sponsoring countries on the Gulf region are far more dangerous, vile and negative for the World than - say - your random subsahaarian African dictatorship, which can be as cruel as the rich ones, but cannot exert much influence abroad, or sponsor terror groups, or developed advanced infrastructure or welfare systems to keep the population in check.

So it is better to remove dictators first, then thaw relations and increase ties. Example: Myanmar, or the former commie countries in Eastern Europe.
Are you more concerned about foreign relations than human rights?
Old December 18th, 2014, 01:45 AM   #29458
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 894

I've been guessing that the Cuban regime wasn't going to last long for a while, I think this might just be the beginning of the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
I saw a Trabant today!

piotr71 liked this post
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2014, 02:26 AM   #29459
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I think this is a bad move. Cuba in on shaky financial state. Its latest backer (Venezuela) is no longer capable of doling out money and oil to the evil Castro regime.

I wish that in the 1990s EU, US, Canada had all teamed up to deal a crushing financial and economic (non-military) blow to the island economy and regime, making its government no longer capable of acting as a government, Romania- or Poland-style. Then, democracy would have followed. It still can be done today, though the task is more difficult now. But Obama chose to appease and make friends with despicable commies ruling in Havana.

I don't think countries can be "bombed into democracy" (unless in terms of support for internal democratic movements to topple dictatorships), that rarely if ever works. However, I do think countries can be "bankrupted into democracy", especially on this day and age of sophisticated international finances, multilateral relationships etc. And I have a list of countries I'd like to see in complete economic chaos so that their dictatorship regimes cannot hold power any longer, such as Cuba, North Korea (which should be annexed by South Korea), all countries in the Persian Gulf (I have a special place in hell for Saudi Arabia wahabbists and terror-sponsor Qatari elites), Brunei, Swaziland and a few others.
I personally don't agree with trade embargo against "enemies" countries. Embargo damages mostly common people, that have a more difficult access to consumer goods, including food and medicines. The dictator, his family, members of the party, high grades in the army, etc... , instead, will always be able to maintan high standards of life, even if their own country is falling apart. The only embargo that is morally acceptable is the weapon embargo. A country should never sell weapons to a country who will use them to kill its citizen or attack another country. Cuba today is not a dangerous country for the international peace, it doesn't plan to attack other countries nor it sponsors terrorism. The country is now in a terrible economical condition, with almost no progress occurred in the past 50 years (many argues that Cuba doesn't suffer extreme poverty like other areas in Latin America, but most people live at a subsistence level, with many consumer goods not readily available in the market and people making more money by tips from tourists rather with official salaries). However, the guilt for this situation is IMHO, shared between the Cuban dictatorial regime and the American embargo.
Another problem with sanctions is that they are usually politically oriented and the human right issue is just a façade to justify the punisment of a politically uncomfortable country. The USA committed shameful actions in the 1945-1990 period, by supporting third world evil and bloody dictators, as long as they were anti-communists and pro-American (who means serving American big companies and further starving its own citizens). The most well-known example are Fulgencio Batista and Augusto Pinochet. On the other hand, Salvador Allende, who was democratically elected, was depicted as evil only because he was leftist and anti-imperialist. Even after the end of the cold war this attitude is still continuing, with the USA+EU club strongly criticizing Russia for everything and closing 100 eyes on what nationalistic and theocratic states like Israel or Saudi Arabia do.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2014, 02:39 AM   #29460
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
But the people who live on that island are lovely. Give them a taste of freedom and they'll generate a revolution themselves, just like what happened in Europe in 1989.
Eastern European countries (except Yugoslavia minus Slovenia and the Soviet Union minus the Baltics) in 1989 and Spain, Portugal and Greece in the 70s, are almost a historical exception, since they managed to switch from dictatorship to democracy almost overnight. Geographycal and cultural proximity with Western Europe helped with that.
In most of the world, an anti-regime revolution, means some years of war and economical collapse, and probably the advent of another evil regime.
Look at the Arab Spring. When it started, in 2010-2011 everybody in the West was enthusiast about this "wind of democracy" and we expected Arabs choosing the democracy like Eastern Europeans in 1989-1990. After few years we noticed that it didn't go like that. The collapse of authoritarian, but capable to control their countries, leaders, gave a lot of room to extremist groups like the ISIS, that are far more dangerous to the world peace than these dictators. In 2011 Assad was the evil dictator who murdered children, today is the less evil among evil powers in Syria.
Those parts of the world never experienced democracy in their history and are still subjected to religious extremism, cultural obscurantism, presence of violence in everyday life, etc... It's not easy for them to become democratic. They don't value democracy, at least the majority of people don't.
I wouldn't be so optimistic about Cuba. There are high chance that, after defeating communism, it will become a different style of dictatorship, that still starves and prosecutes its own citizens like Castro or even worse.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

friedrichstrasse liked this post

Last edited by italystf; December 18th, 2014 at 02:45 AM.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways