daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 20th, 2014, 09:08 PM   #29501
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

In Spanish, Brittany/Bretagne is Bretaña, and Great Britain is Gran Bretaña. So how would one translate just Britain into Spanish?
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 20th, 2014, 09:12 PM   #29502
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

I guess Britain has to remain Great, then.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

bozenBDJ liked this post
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2014, 09:45 PM   #29503
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Bretagne remains Bretagne in Dutch. Brittanny sounds weird for us, because that's the name we use for the Great Britain (Groot)-Brittannië.
In French it sounds the most weird - Bretagne contre Grande-Bretagne
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2014, 11:34 PM   #29504
piotr71

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
Guys, how do you celebrate Christmas (if do)? With who? When? Let's talk about Christmas.
Well, this year quite typically, with my family living in Britain, Great Britain (Wielka Brytaniua not Bretania*) But my favourite way of celebrating christmas is...on the road. Last year, for instance, on newly opened S8 in Poland and in Slovak West Tatra Mountains, earlier in 2013 I was driving around Belgium and the Netherlands. Year before - a trip to Berlin and so on...

* If it comes to Bretagne, there is an interesting, tasty, one of the most popular and sometimes even called national, dish in Poland. We call it "fasolka po bretońsku", which could be translated as 'Breton baked butter beans' ( not to confuse with British baked beans**, which is far less, say, sophisticated) However, as far as I know, this dish isn't known to Bretons, at all.

** I only give an example of British relative, because if you type 'fasolka po bretonsku' in wikipedia and check an English or French version you will find baked beans as equivalent, which to me is kind of misuse of the term.
Old December 21st, 2014, 02:19 AM   #29505
nbcee
Machiavellian travesty

Likes (Received): 14013

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
Guys, how do you celebrate Christmas (if do)? With who? When? Let's talk about Christmas.
Vistitin' my family and my GF's family, eating lots of stuffed cabbage and bejgli and praising the whole concept of the motorway.

Emperor of Bir Tawil and the Nbcee farmlands
Demigod of DLM
nbcee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2014, 12:48 PM   #29506
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18308

Bejgli?
We have that too in Banat
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2014, 02:39 PM   #29507
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
There's a lot of traffic at this hour on the 'Gastarbeiter' route. In Austria on A1, S1 & A4 it's full of cars with people working abroad and going home. A lot of STAUs and slow traffic came together with this.

I managed to cross Austria on a weird route (I'll post that tomorrow), and now I'm heading to Hungary.

I understood there are already delays at HU-RO and HU-SRB border crossings.
Yesterday I drove Rheinbach - Koblenz - Franfkurt/M - Nuremberg - Passau - Vienna - Budapest. 1.130 km at all. 11 hours of driving, normally, this time it was 16 hours. Congestions everywhere. The road was full of Gastarbeiters, indeed. The German motorway A3 is probably the only place of the world where you can see lots of cars that have a French licencse plate but no one speaks French, lots of cars with British plates but no one speaks English, lots of cars of Dutch license plates but no one speaks Dutch, and lots of cars with German plates but only a minority speaks German.
There was only approx. 300 km where I could drive relaxed, without staring the rear lights of the car in front of me, and braking when he brakes. it was crazy and very, very exhausting.
In and around Vienna S1 and A4 was full, I lost approx. 1 hour between Vösendorf - Fischamend. But the Hungarian M1, too, was full, we drove 60-70 km/h.
At the last Austrian gas station there was a queue of more than 100m, and at the first Hungarian gas station, too. I suppose the wating time was at least one hour. I didn't have to stop because I pre-purchased my Hungarian electronic toll sticker.

The European road network is not ready for this christmas rush :-) But I'm happy, I drove 16 hours and did not cause any accident, although in the last 150-200km I was afraid of doing so.

Kanadzie liked this post
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2014, 03:11 PM   #29508
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3446

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
Bejgli?
We have that too in Banat
we have them everywhere from Germany to Turkey

cinxxx liked this post
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2014, 03:27 PM   #29509
bogdymol
bogdymod

Was crazy traffic yesterday on this route, but I managed to get home safely. My wife was looking all the time on Google Maps Traffic alerts, so we saw every time how's the traffic ahead. This was route yesterday: http://goo.gl/maps/Nj1QM

We saw an accident reported after Ybbs an der Donau, so we exited there and drove on B1. While on B1 we could see the traffic stopped on the motorway, so we were happy as we took a right decision to exit the motorway there. We also noticed on the mobile app 3 accidents (and 3 STAUs) on M1 between Pöchlarn and Wien, plus another one on A21 near Wien, plus another 2 on S1 nearby Wien. That's why I took B3 and drove on it until Krems an der Donau, and then on the motorway until Wien.

At Wien Airport there was another block, so we drove from A4 (from Wien), then on S1 towards Graz and took the first exit to drive on B9. Here's the traffic on S1 direction Budapest (on the other side):

After that the A4 was full of cars, driving up to 100 km/h:

I haven't stopped for the Hungarian vignette at the border or at the first gas station (MOL) because I thought that everyone will stop there. I stopped at the toll plaza near Mosonmagyarovar, but I was so wrong. I waited 40 minutes to buy a vignette, although 4 or 5 lanes were open.

At Gyor bypass there was another accident so I left the motorway and went through the city. After Gyor I reentered M1, but only until Tatanabya. Between Tatabanya and Budapest Google Traffic said that there were 2 or 3 accidents, so I drove on the main road 1. I haven't entered M0 because of another accident being reported there, so I drove through Budapest city.

M5 from Budapest to Szeged (&Mako) was with a lot of traffic, but I could often go with 130 km/h. Then from Mako I went for Turnu/Battonya border crossing because I heard that at Nadlac the waiting time was very long. The road between Mako and Battonya is not the best one, but at least the border was free (so free that even the border guard wasn't there). We waited for him 1 minute to come (only the Romanian one came), checked our IDs and we had a short chat. He said that his colleagues from Nadlac are reporting massive queues, but people don't use the alternate crossing because they don't know about it.

All in all, instead of 7.5-8 hours drive, I did 12h50m (including about 1.5 hours stopping for eating and shopping).
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2014, 03:48 PM   #29510
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19410

It was a big mistake to build Austrian S1 with only 2x2 lanes. It was overwhelmed with (truck) traffic from the moment it was completed from A2 to A4.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

bogdymol liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2014, 04:02 PM   #29511
x-type
con los terroristas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
It was a big mistake to build Austrian S1 with only 2x2 lanes. It was overwhelmed with (truck) traffic from the moment it was completed from A2 to A4.
and when they make the link to S2, it will be real bottleneck.
Old December 21st, 2014, 04:10 PM   #29512
bogdymol
bogdymod

A connection between Eisenstadt and Parndorf would be also useful.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2014, 04:18 PM   #29513
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

I was much later there than Bogdy. Approx. 19h in S1, and arrived 22:30 to Budapest. The situation was similar. But the real issue was not S1, further on A4 and M1 in Hungary, too, was very bad. S1 was only congested because the congestion from A4 was so bad that it congested S1, too.

I thought, it is very, very nice that there's no more border control between Austria and Hungary. I think with a basic border control at Hegyeshalom/Nickelsdorf, waiting time could have reached one day.
I pre-purchased the Austrian and Hungarian Vignette in Germany so from Bavaria up to Budapest I had nothing to do but drive, and stop if the car in front of me stops.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2014, 04:47 PM   #29514
x-type
con los terroristas

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
A connection between Eisenstadt and Parndorf would be also useful.
why? whyat would we get with it? it would collect only traffic from S6 and Graz to direction Budapest.
Wien only needs more connections for south-north and east-west through traffic
Old December 22nd, 2014, 12:02 AM   #29515
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Random linguistic oddity:

At the Pain Quotidien (a Belgian café/bakery/restaurant chain) in Philadelphia - well, one of them; there are at least two - the "push" sign on the door is in five languages - English, French, Dutch, Italian and Spanish. I'd noticed the Dutch before (Philadelphia's not exactly full of signs with Dutch on them), but I was just there and said to myself, why not German? The salt and pepper shakers are labeled in French, Dutch and English.

I ordered a bûche de Noël there.
Old December 22nd, 2014, 12:24 AM   #29516
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

I remember seeing a buche de Noel in my parents chest freezer in their garage. It said something like "happy 2001!"

It was 2010 I'm sure is still there...

happy winter solstice!
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2014, 04:11 AM   #29517
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

We needed 3.5 hours to cross the HR-SRB border on E70 on Saturday (8.30-12.00). That's the longest I've ever waited on a border. Many lanes open for cars, but only one for buses (no special EU lane). We needed 11.5 hours for 530 km, but it would've been even more if we'd crossed the main SLO-HR border checkpoint (we accidently used a local one instead, because our driver drove our bus where it was reserved for cars, so we had to turn around ). And I don't know whose brilliant idea it was to depart from Ljubljana at 2.30 if you wanna arrive in Belgrade early in the morning (we arrived at 14h). I've never seen such a stupid departure time from a tourist agency.

Alex_ZR liked this post

Last edited by Verso; December 22nd, 2014 at 04:16 AM.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2014, 03:21 PM   #29518
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Scary accident on A-4 motorway in Spain, near Madrid. A driver ran over a Guardia Civil policeman who was standing near the police car parked in the left lane. The cop survived with several injures aften being thrown across the central barrier. Caught by CCTV.

“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2014, 05:47 PM   #29519
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Hence, "move-over laws" - a recent trend* in the U.S.

If you see an emergency vehicle (police car, ambulance, tow truck...) stopped on the right shoulder, you're supposed to move out of the right lane, if you can do so safely.

*This is a state-level thing, but many states have passed such laws in the last few years.
Old December 22nd, 2014, 05:51 PM   #29520
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19410

This accident doesn't have a lot to do with the 'move over' law in many U.S. states. The police car stopped in the left lane (out of three), while the crashing car came from the right lane, it seems like hydroplaning that got him to lose control and swerve over three lanes into the copper.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways