daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 29th, 2014, 01:13 AM   #29621
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
A very dangerous lift in Czech Rep., apparently there used to be more than 2.000 of those in the country (czechoslovakia) back in communist days
Those elevators were installed throghout the world between the 1930s and the 1960s. There are few left.
Here in Vienna university.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 29th, 2014, 01:16 AM   #29622
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
I don't get it
They called him "maricon" (Spanish for ******) and he though it was something like "merry cone".
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2014, 02:03 AM   #29623
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Those elevators were installed throghout the world between the 1930s and the 1960s. There are few left.
what happens if you don't step out at the lowest or the highest floor?
Old December 29th, 2014, 05:20 AM   #29624
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

it just rolls around sideways, there is extra "space" above and below, and the platform just moves to the side, so if you reach the top, you shift to the other side and go downwards. So not as dangerous as appears at first sight...

I can't stress how convenient these are! So much better than the standard waiting for ever... I'm in my 20's so don't care much about safety (funny that )
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2014, 08:54 AM   #29625
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1755

It is not as dangerous as it seems. Each cabin is equipped with a very sensitive bar above as well as each doorstep. The whole system stops if any bar is moved. There is no chance for individual to get stuck or being tore up there.

However it really Is uncomfortable to get on or off that.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2014, 11:07 AM   #29626
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Nowadays modern elevators are not expensive anymore so they should all be replaced with safe and comfortable ones. A quality elevator for 3 levels costs between 10-30 k€ (without shafts). Also I'm sure that those antique elevators are not suitable for disabled persons.

Suburbanist liked this post
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2014, 11:23 AM   #29627
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21249

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
Also I'm sure that those antique elevators are not suitable for disabled persons.
And also parents with baby strolls, and people with the slightest leg/ankle injury.

Last edited by Suburbanist; December 29th, 2014 at 12:25 PM.
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2014, 11:55 AM   #29628
suburbicide

Likes (Received): 247

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
It's called a paternoster lift. They're not fool-proof and accidents have happened. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paternoster
suburbicide no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2014, 01:56 PM   #29629
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18313

cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2014, 02:12 PM   #29630
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
Nowadays modern elevators are not expensive anymore so they should all be replaced with safe and comfortable ones. A quality elevator for 3 levels costs between 10-30 k€ (without shafts). Also I'm sure that those antique elevators are not suitable for disabled persons.
I think that one of the last ones that I saw working was at the city hall at Prague 1. I also think that they had a normal elevetor next to it.

I am not sure if they might be "protected" in some buildings, anyway, it gave interesting "Kafka" and first republic feel to the place, I would certainly keep at least few, just for the sentiment.

Indeed, it is a "technical monument" there. It was build in 1930. They just reconstructed it in 2012. There are two normal elevators next to it.

I am not sure if there is any place that those would be in operation while there would not be a normal elevator present.

Last edited by Surel; December 29th, 2014 at 02:19 PM.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2014, 02:25 PM   #29631
mapman:cz
Ministerský rada

Likes (Received): 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
A very dangerous lift in Czech Rep., apparently there used to be more than 2.000 of those in the country (czechoslovakia) back in communist days

It is not dangerous at all for normal people. We have three of them at my workplace and I can honestly say that many times I forgot to step out at the last floor, so I had to do the turn through the roof

They can't be used by disabled and are considered as risky because of their movement, so they are not alowed anymore in new buildings. But it won't harm you - it has safety equipment that stops it in case of a problem. Visit me at the czech MoT if you wanna try it
Old December 29th, 2014, 06:35 PM   #29632
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Something to play with!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...rent_languages
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2014, 07:38 PM   #29633
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

I'm slowly starting to hate Google Maps. If you make a driving direction (A to B) and want to change the route by moving the white spot, lately it picks up every little local road instead of giving priority to motorways and main roads (unless you drop the spot directly on the motorway, but then you can't be sure it actually landed on it if you don't zoom in).
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2014, 07:46 PM   #29634
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Real maps are where it's at.

(Actually, I like GMaps for very detailed things...like when I'm choosing a place to stay and want to know what's around it. But I had the same trouble...I wanted to post a road trip report from my vacation in October, but getting the route to display properly was too frustrating.)
Old December 29th, 2014, 08:35 PM   #29635
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Heck, it even lists my hometown! But then, I miss Υεσκα, Уэска, وشقة, אואסקה, and 韦斯卡 .
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2014, 08:41 PM   #29636
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

You're not gonna start with languages again?
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2014, 08:57 PM   #29637
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

This is Roadside Rest. Nearly nothing's off-topic. Anglo-Dutch-Austrian van drivers and the like are perfectly free to change the subject at any time. ;-)

Or to visit International Border Crossings and complain about it there.
Old December 29th, 2014, 09:04 PM   #29638
volodaaaa

Quote:
Real maps are where it's at.

(Actually, I like GMaps for very detailed things...like when I'm choosing a place to stay and want to know what's around it. But I had the same trouble...I wanted to post a road trip report from my vacation in October, but getting the route to display properly was too frustrating.)
GMaps is still top, but I think it used to be much better in past. The unfortunate transition to new layout last year killed it all.

Old December 29th, 2014, 09:15 PM   #29639
volodaaaa

Quote:
I figured out we use them only in terms of food names I am a small fan of linguistics and most of people I've talked about it to had no clue the exact name of food is related to an exonym of a foreign city name.

The most notable examples are Szegedi Goulash (Segedínsky guláš), Linz's Cakes (Linecké koláče - btw. amusing that the German translation is Mürbeteig, so nothing to do with Linz) and Cluj's Cabbage (Koložvárska kapusta).

I still wonder why was the particular dish named after the certain city or country, especially if the original citizens of the certain city or country have no clue about it

Old December 29th, 2014, 09:32 PM   #29640
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 4009

What about Viedenský rezeň?
We call it the same.
Alex_ZR no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways