daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 1st, 2015, 02:10 AM   #29681
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

So, Keoki, what's the future like?
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 1st, 2015, 02:16 AM   #29682
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quite cold. -15 Celsius in my city right now (5 F in American language). And it's one of the warmest temperatures in Romania right now.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog

Penn's Woods liked this post
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2015, 02:55 AM   #29683
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
So, Keoki, what's the future like?
Loads and loads of fireworks

(in the street where I live there are 2 people that - beside their usual jobs - sell fireworks to people this time of year, and a lot of stuff they don't sell they blast it into the air themselves. It was almost 2,5 hours of the most luxurious fireworks )
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2015, 03:32 AM   #29684
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21242

Drove 534km today with friends. We visited several 4 locations between flood control infrastructure works, land-reclaimed beach, windmill park (ancient) and small old village. We then went to Rotterdam for the "National Firework Event" - it was underwhelming.
Old January 1st, 2015, 10:44 AM   #29685
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

It's a long tradition in Hungary that in new year's eve there is a 3 hours long comedy in the radio (from 9PM to midnight). I am used to listen it every year. In the 80's it was always brilliant, in the 90's and 2000's still good.
But last night... It was horrible. All the jokes were about how evil the current opposition is, how evil the US and EU are. The greatest "joke" was that Goodfriend* is not a good friend. Oh, well...
One of the leading Hungarian comedians spoke 15 minutes. all of his "jokes" were about Americans, how stupid and fat they all are. Another well known comedian talks about how crazy the Americans are that they think everyone is a talib, and about how he himself does not use internet, suggesting that right people don't use it so taxing internet is nice. Funny, funny, funny...
One artist tried to have some jokes about the current government but his production was officially banned.

*André Goodfriend is the current de facto US ambassador in Hungary.

Penn's Woods, Kanadzie liked this post
Attus está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2015, 10:54 AM   #29686
PovilD
Naudotojas

Likes (Received): 71

Happy New Year And Lithuania switched to euros as Estonia did 2011 and Latvia in 2014. That means that all Baltic States are with the same currency now

piotr71, hofburg liked this post
PovilD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2015, 12:05 PM   #29687
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

I spent new year's eve in bed with an aching back and fever. Happy new year 😦
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2015, 12:07 PM   #29688
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19397

Get well soon

How common is it in your country to have citizens lighting up their own fireworks? In the Netherlands it is very common, in my street there was a group who pooled money together (likely in excess of € 1,000) and purchased professional fireworks. They had boxes that went on for like 7 or 8 minutes. It took them 2 hours to light up all their fireworks.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2015, 12:20 PM   #29689
AsHalt

Likes (Received): 181

In ASEAN countries ,other than Singapore, it's pretty common. So much so the Chinese new years and hari raya you can see the skies light up.
AsHalt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2015, 02:48 PM   #29690
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3438

happy new year to everyone!

i took part in new year's eve's comedy in local theatre here, after that little party. fireworks? my friend is mad about it, yesterday i watched midnight fireworks with him here and commented that if he had 10000€ for fireworks, he would probably suffer the heart attack (caused by happiness), and after that he would be seriously burnt by fireworks
Old January 1st, 2015, 05:42 PM   #29691
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

I don't even have to go out, there're fireworks on my street every year; it was -12°C anyway.

Last edited by Verso; January 2nd, 2015 at 12:55 AM.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2015, 06:30 PM   #29692
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
It's a long tradition in Hungary that in new year's eve there is a 3 hours long comedy in the radio (from 9PM to midnight). I am used to listen it every year. In the 80's it was always brilliant, in the 90's and 2000's still good.
But last night... It was horrible. All the jokes were about how evil the current opposition is, how evil the US and EU are. The greatest "joke" was that Goodfriend* is not a good friend. Oh, well...
One of the leading Hungarian comedians spoke 15 minutes. all of his "jokes" were about Americans, how stupid and fat they all are. Another well known comedian talks about how crazy the Americans are that they think everyone is a talib, and about how he himself does not use internet, suggesting that right people don't use it so taxing internet is nice. Funny, funny, funny...
One artist tried to have some jokes about the current government but his production was officially banned.

*André Goodfriend is the current de facto US ambassador in Hungary.
No offense but that sounds like something you might get in China, or something you might have gotten in Hungary before 1989....

Kanadzie liked this post
Old January 1st, 2015, 06:31 PM   #29693
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PovilD View Post
Happy New Year And Lithuania switched to euros as Estonia did 2011 and Latvia in 2014. That means that all Baltic States are with the same currency now
Uniformity forever!
Old January 1st, 2015, 06:34 PM   #29694
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Get well soon

How common is it in your country to have citizens lighting up their own fireworks? In the Netherlands it is very common, in my street there was a group who pooled money together (likely in excess of € 1,000) and purchased professional fireworks. They had boxes that went on for like 7 or 8 minutes. It took them 2 hours to light up all their fireworks.
I think it's illegal in many states here. Which doesn't stop it.

And - sadly - I heard on the radio yesterday that police were warning the public of the danger of shooting guns into the air at midnight on New Year's.

Perhaps those Hungarian comedians are right.*

On the other hand, we don't have people going around setting cars on fire.

*Or more likely, any human population, no matter where, has its share of idiots.

EDIT: For the record, I heard fewer fireworks than usual, and no guns. Haven't seen any burned-out cars yet, but I haven't been out. :-)
Old January 1st, 2015, 06:59 PM   #29695
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1750

Quote:
No offense but that sounds like something you might get in China, or something you might have gotten in Hungary before 1989....
I think the world is getting too black or white. We celebrate the independence day of Slovakia today and it has always been usual to play a Slovak anthem in radio as the midnight occurs. This year, the European anthem played in Bratislava leaving out Slovak one and of course it brought up numerous discussions in media.

I must sadly state, the people have been never so black or white. Half of people blindly adored it, telling the Slovak anthem is shitty and every one who did not agreed was sent to Russia while the other half has freaked out that EU is the new USSR in blue colour and that everyone is linked to White House, Mossad, Soros etc. etc. etc.

There was literally no common sense opinion. I like European anthem, I don't agree with Putin, but still think that Slovak anthem would be adequate (even followed by European one). I am not being contributed neither by US Embassy nor Putin.

Knowing that young generations listen to Justin Bieber, read tabloids and believe everything it states, we are getting in serious trouble. Oh yes, I sound like an old man and I am too pessimist considering we have the first day of new year.

So happy new year to everyone

Penn's Woods, Attus liked this post
volodaaaa está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2015, 07:18 PM   #29696
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
Absolutely. And I must say I'm very sad about it.
Attus está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2015, 09:40 PM   #29697
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

Quote:
Uniformity forever!
I don't think each US state has an own currency...
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2015, 12:45 AM   #29698
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Quote:
Haven't seen any burned-out cars yet, but I haven't been out. :-)
Down by 12% to only 940 vehicles this year!
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-30653784

Penn's Woods liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2015, 03:12 AM   #29699
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
I don't think each US state has an own currency...
Neither does each region or province of Italy.

When the European Union is a single nation-state, that comparison will be relevant.
Old January 2nd, 2015, 03:13 AM   #29700
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
Down by 12% to only 940 vehicles this year!
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-30653784
L'exception française....

Tags
highways, motorways