daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 3rd, 2015, 11:40 PM   #29721
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
Put 's' in braces (those cubic brackets)
[s]problem[/s]
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 3rd, 2015, 11:43 PM   #29722
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18302

Regarding drivers license, many foreign citizens are allowed to use theirs, for only 6 months after ariving, I have some colleagues from India, Mexico, Colombia. If they want to drive after that, they have to do the whole driving school, take the exam and get a German drivers license...
cinxxx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2015, 11:48 PM   #29723
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
[s]problem[/s]
Haha... good try

Code:
[noparse][s]problem[/s][/noparse]

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2015, 11:51 PM   #29724
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1936

The strikethrough is my most hated favorite code.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.

Penn's Woods liked this post
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2015, 11:58 PM   #29725
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
Regarding drivers license, many foreign citizens are allowed to use theirs, for only 6 months after ariving, I have some colleagues from India, Mexico, Colombia. If they want to drive after that, they have to do the whole driving school, take the exam and get a German drivers license...
I think it is fairly right. European countries have signed the Vienna Convention on Road traffic. It de facto guarantees that the basic and major traffic rules are alike in all parties. It is therefore reasonable that I don't need to attend a driving school when I want to drive in Austria, Portugal or elsewhere in Europe.

Now let's move to Brazil (where EU prohibitory sign design is used for regulation signs) or US. I would need to learn all their rules and I think I still would not be enough prepared to drive their road self confidently. The same goes vice-versa.

Old January 4th, 2015, 01:07 AM   #29726
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21242

Quote:
It is the same thing in the Netherlands. EU citizens can exchange their driver's license for a Dutch one. I did exchange my Italian driver's license for a Dutch one. The procedure was simple, they gave me a Dutch license (Rijbewijs) with a notation it was given in exchange for an Italian one, which the local authority retained.

Interestingly, they automatically gave me a 10-year driver's license based on the date I applied for conversion, not on the original issue date on my Italian one.

Here in Netherlands, citizens from a select list of non-EU/EEA countries can also convert their driver licenses to Dutch ones, such as Taiwan, South Korea, Israel, USA, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Japan. High-skilled immigrants (those who get 30% of their income as non-taxable under Dutch law provisions) can also convert their licenses without taking exams.
Old January 4th, 2015, 09:22 AM   #29727
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
It is the same thing in the Netherlands. EU citizens can exchange their driver's license for a Dutch one.
In Germany, too. And, I suppose, in the whole EU. My Hungarian license was almost expired (some months were left) and I asked for changing it to a German one. I got it, the procedure was very simple and my new German license will expire in 2029.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2015, 12:18 PM   #29728
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19397

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Interestingly, they automatically gave me a 10-year driver's license based on the date I applied for conversion, not on the original issue date on my Italian one.
Renewing your driver's license in the Netherlands is basically a form of taxation. It involves nothing but paying a fee and getting a new license. No tests or exams are taken when renewing a license, making it basically a tax.

There used to be a significant variation in fees for renewing a license, depending on the municipality. It has now been capped at € 38.45 nationally, but Zwolle for example used to be more expensive (in the € 50 range).
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2015, 12:28 PM   #29729
bogdymol
bogdymod

Isn't that a fee for processing your application and printing the new license? In Romania you pay for that something like 15 €, but since 2-3 years ago you also have to pass a medical exam when renewing your license (every 10 years).
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2015, 04:24 PM   #29730
volodaaaa

Sorry for OT, but is here someone who knows or can recommend me a site that provides cheaper accommodation in Spain or Italy for summer vacation?

I've tried several sites incl. booking.com but it suggest me two extremes - hostels with shared rooms on one hand and expensive hotels on other.

I'd like quality "all exclusive" ( ) accommodation, e.g. studio with board excluded, no pool, no room service, but private bathroom and kitchen included.

Old January 4th, 2015, 04:30 PM   #29731
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 780

My last few trips (in the U.S. and Canada) I've used trivago.com. It sort of compiles prices from hotels.com, booking.com, expedia and the like so you don't have to visit them all....

Obviously this isn't specific to Spain, but I'm pretty sure I've gotten e-mails about their French version, so they do at least exist in Europe....

volodaaaa liked this post
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2015, 04:43 PM   #29732
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
My last few trips (in the U.S. and Canada) I've used trivago.com. It sort of compiles prices from hotels.com, booking.com, expedia and the like so you don't have to visit them all....

Obviously this isn't specific to Spain, but I'm pretty sure I've gotten e-mails about their French version, so they do at least exist in Europe....
Yes, Trivago exists in Europe. I use that site often.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2015, 06:17 PM   #29733
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
Sorry for OT, but is here someone who knows or can recommend me a site that provides cheaper accommodation in Spain or Italy for summer vacation?

I've tried several sites incl. booking.com but it suggest me two extremes - hostels with shared rooms on one hand and expensive hotels on other.

I'd like quality "all exclusive" ( ) accommodation, e.g. studio with board excluded, no pool, no room service, but private bathroom and kitchen included.
You can also try villas.com. It's owned by booking.com, but has other type of properties.

For work, I often have to search for self cattering accommodation in UK. For that I go on Google Maps, put the map on the region where I search and type in the search bar 'self catering accommodation nearby <town>'. The results will then be displayed as red dots on the map, and you deal directly with the owner (usually there's a phone number and website available). I always find something at a decent price. Maybe this will work also for you in Spain.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog

volodaaaa liked this post
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2015, 08:13 PM   #29734
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Personally, I wish whatever is going on were playing out in PMs rather than publicly. If you feel strongly enough that he's harassing you, you might take it to the mods.
Old January 4th, 2015, 08:28 PM   #29735
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18302

I'm sitting at Bari airport, the flight that should have arrived at Karlsruhe-Baden airport at 21:15 has 1:35 delay, after that we have some other 3 hours something drive to Ingolstadt.

My gf also has to get to work tomorrow...
cinxxx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2015, 09:11 PM   #29736
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

Quote:
I'm sitting at Bari airport, the flight that should have arrived at Karlsruhe-Baden airport at 21:15 has 1:35 delay, after that we have some other 3 hours something drive to Ingolstadt.

My gf also has to get to work tomorrow...
How was your stay?
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2015, 09:15 PM   #29737
Suburbanist
on the road

I just measured my utility consumption taking a reading on the meters. They take ages to consolidate data and send me the refund I'm owed.

This year they are changing the metering criteria for warm water, instead of paying for volume, we will pay for energy used to heat it. Water for building heating (radiators and floor) is already charged on Joules/kWh.
Old January 4th, 2015, 09:26 PM   #29738
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

In twenty years as a tenant in three different apartments, I've never paid for water.
Old January 4th, 2015, 09:30 PM   #29739
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
In twenty years as a tenant in three different apartments, I've never paid for water.
really?
Old January 4th, 2015, 09:32 PM   #29740
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

He just steals it from his neighbours
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways