daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 8th, 2015, 06:02 PM   #29841
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18299

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
In Turin? Two wheels = one coffin
Ah, so no crazy scuterista like in Rome?

The man where we staid in Rome told us:
- if he goes to work by car he needs 45 minutes
- if he goes to work by scooter he only needs 15 minutes
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 8th, 2015, 06:08 PM   #29842
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2102

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
Ah, so no crazy scuterista like in Rome?

The man where we staid in Rome told us:
- if he goes to work by car he needs 45 minutes
- if he goes to work by scooter he only needs 15 minutes
My boss is president of Honda Motorcycles local fan club, he owns more than 150, and every other day tries to convince me to get one (not one of his own) to get to work faster. Only thing I'm sure is that I would get killed riding in Turin's mess. Road layout in Turin was created by a madman high on meth.
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2015, 06:11 PM   #29843
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

i have 4 km from home to work. i'm too lazy to use the bike tough. and i am in the bad mood when i have to share my car with some of my neighbours.

i am complete disaster for modern travelling to the work
Old January 8th, 2015, 06:35 PM   #29844
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19388

We have paid parking at work (€ 4 per day). Only people whose commute is more than 30 minutes longer with public transport than by car are allowed free parking.

Some colleagues still use public transport even when it takes twice as much time than by car because public transport commuting is compensated 100%, so it's a choice between saving 1.5 hours a day and pay for fuel & maintenance, or give up that free time and commute to work at no cost.

I have a public transport card from my employer which allows unlimited free bus / subway / tram travel in the entire country, never used it though. Taking the bus to work takes more than than walk the entire way (because the bus stops are far away, I would end up walking half the distance anyway...)

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Jasper90 liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2015, 06:42 PM   #29845
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18299

I would never give up 1.5 hours just to save money. I rather spend that time doing something else. The only way I would do such long commute by train would be if I would be able to do some work on the way and then stay 1-2 hours less at work.

The buses in Ingolstadt are very bad if you have to get from South of the city to Gaimersheim Gewerbegebiet, where many engineering firms are. I am faster if I choose to take the train to Gaimersheim and walk back, which I do from time to time (around 40 minutes in total). To go by bus I would have to either switch buses at ZOB or walk 30 minutes between bus station and work (between 50 and 60 minutes). I do this sometimes when I go back home just to exercise a little.

By bike I require around 35 minutes, for the 8km, by car it depends, between 15 and 35 minutes.
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2015, 06:51 PM   #29846
bogdymol
bogdymod

I live 1,5 km from my workplace, but I go there by car every day. I don't use my bike mostly because of the weather (it's raining a lot here), and also because of the hilly situation between my flat and my workplace. Not to mention that right now there's snow all around. Another reason would be that during my lunch break I can come home and eat if I'm by car.

In other news, it was a really cold morning today in Romania:

Quote:
Originally Posted by skySK View Post
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2015, 07:03 PM   #29847
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
I would never give up 1.5 hours just to save money.
Me neither. These guys leave home at 6 a.m. and get home at 6.30 p.m. They often give up their lunch break as well to get home half an hour earlier, even though it is officially not permitted.
Old January 8th, 2015, 07:29 PM   #29848
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1748

It is some kind of suburban approach. I am not fan of a house, because I can't afford one in a city and I would not enjoy one in city surrounding because spend 1,5 h travelling stressed in congestion is not really for me.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2015, 07:51 PM   #29849
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
I would never give up 1.5 hours just to save money.
The time of travelling by public transport is not necesserily wasted time. Of course if you have to walk a lot, or wait a lot in a bus stop, that is not really nice. But I travelled tooke the train every for years. I read the newspapers while travelling (had a seat almost always) so although it was at least half an hour more daily than driving, I choose this transport mode.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2015, 07:54 PM   #29850
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
I live 1,5 km from my workplace
I, too (alright, it's only 1,400 m). I walk every day. It's nice and healthy. I like it (except for rainy days like today).
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2015, 08:02 PM   #29851
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
The time of travelling by public transport is not necesserily wasted time. Of course if you have to walk a lot, or wait a lot in a bus stop, that is not really nice. But I travelled tooke the train every for years. I read the newspapers while travelling (had a seat almost always) so although it was at least half an hour more daily than driving, I choose this transport mode.
I don't know the situation in Hungary, but in my country, having a car means having a certain "higher" social status. Therefore loads of commuters commute by cars (mostly one adult per one car). In this case, it is wasted time. Travelling by train with laptop on my lap is something else.

Old January 8th, 2015, 08:14 PM   #29852
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2102

Quote:
I would never give up 1.5 hours just to save money. I rather spend that time doing something else.
It depends on the money, I guess. I mean, money doesn't grow on trees.
I take up to 2.5 hr a day commuting, to-and-fro (most often 1,5 hr, it depends on connections) and I spend less than 1€ per day (310€ is the year-round ticket for public transport here in Turin). Getting there by car is faster, but I think I would spend more (18 km and a million traffic lights), and it's infinitely more dangerous and bad for my mood. On the bus I read, I listen to some music...
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2015, 08:25 PM   #29853
nbcee
Machiavellian travesty

Likes (Received): 13997

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
I don't know the situation in Hungary, but in my country, having a car means having a certain "higher" social status. Therefore loads of commuters commute by cars (mostly one adult per one car). In this case, it is wasted time. Travelling by train with laptop on my lap is something else.
We kinda have that too. This becomes a problem when some of those people think they can afford a car who actually can't so they apply for a loan... And even those who can afford it don't make good choices in many cases. (They sooo need an SUV here on the Plain Especially when the only out of town trip they make is to the nearest Tesco and back again)

I once had a friend who lived with his parents. He was a big BMW fan so he bought one just after he started earning money - and crashed it. Then he bought another Beamer - which had lots of engine problems so it mostly just sat in front of their house. Then he bought a third one Ohh and he still lives with his parents.

Emperor of Bir Tawil and the Nbcee farmlands
Demigod of DLM
nbcee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2015, 08:29 PM   #29854
bigic
(-_-) -<>- ♂♂

Likes (Received): 136

Chris,
If not for your government's efforts to encourage cycling, the cycling lane on which you are commuting would probably be sacrificed for adding extra lanes to the driveway, making your cycling experience less safe and enjoyable (it's well known that your country has the most comprehensive cycling infrastructure in the world).
bigic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2015, 08:37 PM   #29855
VITORIA MAN
on skycrapercity

Likes (Received): 14404

moi aussi , je suis charlie

http://images.eldiario.es/politica/M...07_0645_13.jpg

Last edited by VITORIA MAN; January 8th, 2015 at 08:43 PM.
VITORIA MAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2015, 08:39 PM   #29856
bigic
(-_-) -<>- ♂♂

Likes (Received): 136

?!
bigic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2015, 08:41 PM   #29857
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbcee View Post
We kinda have that too. This becomes a problem when some of those people think they can afford a car who actually can't so they apply for a loan... And even those who can afford it don't make good choices in many cases. (They sooo need an SUV here on the Plain Especially when the only out of town trip they make is to the nearest Tesco and back again)

I once had a friend who lived with his parents. He was a big BMW fan so he bought one just after he started earning money - and crashed it. Then he bought another Beamer - which had lots of engine problems so it mostly just sat in front of their house. Then he bought a third one Ohh and he still lives with his parents.
Needless to say those drives drive like the physical laws was included in the price of vehicle. I know one such family. They are barely able to pay the loan for house, but have two expensive cars (each for adult). I've never seen them giving right neither to pedestrians on pedestrian crossing nor to bus leaving bus stop/lane. Nonetheless, shouting, gesturing, using bus lanes and swearing to other drivers is the daily practice. Sometimes, women in such cases are even worse.

I'm really glad to see a decent BMW driver in suit, who acts like true gentleman. It is pretty rare.

nbcee liked this post
Old January 8th, 2015, 08:44 PM   #29858
AsHalt

Likes (Received): 181

Talking bout public transport, the Singapore's NSEWL (oldest line in Singapore) is having sleeper replacement , the citizens are already complaining bout how much longer it took them to arrive at their places, when u guys are having the worse travel time...😐
AsHalt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2015, 09:06 PM   #29859
nbcee
Machiavellian travesty

Likes (Received): 13997

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
Needless to say those drives drive like the physical laws was included in the price of vehicle. I know one such family. They are barely able to pay the loan for house, but have two expensive cars (each for adult). I've never seen them giving right neither to pedestrians on pedestrian crossing nor to bus leaving bus stop/lane. Nonetheless, shouting, gesturing, using bus lanes and swearing to other drivers is the daily practice. Sometimes, women in such cases are even worse.

I'm really glad to see a decent BMW driver in suit, who acts like true gentleman. It is pretty rare.
Usually those who can't afford to have a car buy a Suzuki. those who can afford a Suzuki buy a BMW and those who can afford a BMW buy a Porsche Cayenne or three BMWs.

Anyway BMW has this image of a vehicle signalling a higher social status while the used ones are pretty affordable. So many young people, Roma, people of the lower-middle class, etc. buy them.

Emperor of Bir Tawil and the Nbcee farmlands
Demigod of DLM
nbcee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2015, 09:28 PM   #29860
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I don't really care about car status. I have an economical 2011 Hyundai i10 even though I could afford a larger car. I rather spend that money on road trips than on the car itself.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

volodaaaa, bogdymol, RipleyLV liked this post

Tags
highways, motorways