daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 8th, 2015, 09:31 PM   #29861
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18298

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
It depends on the money, I guess. I mean, money doesn't grow on trees.
I take up to 2.5 hr a day commuting, to-and-fro (most often 1,5 hr, it depends on connections) and I spend less than 1€ per day (310€ is the year-round ticket for public transport here in Turin). Getting there by car is faster, but I think I would spend more (18 km and a million traffic lights), and it's infinitely more dangerous and bad for my mood. On the bus I read, I listen to some music...
I meant 1,5 hours x 2, so 3 hours a day only on commuting, like Chris said some of his colleagues do. 1,5 hours in total is not so bad actually. But I don't like doing that sitting. I sit anyway at work the whole time. This is why I prefer spending some of that time walking or biking, I even do detours with the bike back home to do a little exercise, but only when the weather is nice.

This is why I will never move outside the city of my workplaces. A lot of people do that here, I know I don't want to...
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 8th, 2015, 09:35 PM   #29862
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2101

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
I meant 1,5 hours x 2, so 3 hours a day only on commuting, like Chris said some of his colleagues do. 1,5 hours in total is not so bad actually. But I don't like doing that sitting.
Who said I sit? Most of the times the bus is so crowded I have to stand. Only when I take my connection (a train) I always sit. And then I have to walk for 1.5 km to get home.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2015, 09:42 PM   #29863
pasadia

Likes (Received): 1934

By the way, just as a side-note: I'm always surpsrise to see how popular Suzuki are in Hungary. Or, if not popular, how common there are.

Over here, in Roumania, as a cheap first choice would be something like Hyundai (i10, i20), Kia Ceed, Fiesta or Logan. Or, if one is looking for second hand cars, most common it is Golf V or VI. But Suzuki, either new or old, it isn't anyone choice. I don't know way - bad dealership, bad service, not so great as a "brand"...

So, why it's Suzuki so common in Hungary?
pasadia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2015, 09:42 PM   #29864
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Staying is not much better then sitting .
That 1,5km walk is ok though.

Today for example, I went to work by train, so 5 minutes to the train station, 10 minutes by train, and other 2,2 km walking. On the way back I traveled 2,5 km to the bus station, then by bus some 23 minutes, then some 3 minutes walk.

I would like to have a work that would make me more active. I always try to solve some things by walking to the person and not just calling, but that's not much...
Old January 8th, 2015, 10:12 PM   #29865
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19376

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
I would like to have a work that would make me more active. I always try to solve some things by walking to the person and not just calling, but that's not much...
What do you do during lunch break? I usually take a 3 kilometer walk with two colleagues if weather permits.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2015, 10:22 PM   #29866
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Lunch break is 45 minutes (although we stay also longer). I usually go eat something. A 3 km walk would mean around 30 minutes for me. There are some places at around 1 km from work, but I don't really like the food there. There is another place which has better, but it's just across the street. I am a slow eater, so there won't be much time left for walks after, but maybe I should try just doing a 10 minutes walk

But when weather is nice and I go by bike, I use it to go to other places to eat, 2-3 km away.
Old January 8th, 2015, 10:23 PM   #29867
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1748

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadia View Post
By the way, just as a side-note: I'm always surpsrise to see how popular Suzuki are in Hungary. Or, if not popular, how common there are.

Over here, in Roumania, as a cheap first choice would be something like Hyundai (i10, i20), Kia Ceed, Fiesta or Logan. Or, if one is looking for second hand cars, most common it is Golf V or VI. But Suzuki, either new or old, it isn't anyone choice. I don't know way - bad dealership, bad service, not so great as a "brand"...

1. There is a factory in Esztergom so perhaps Hungarians like to buy car manufactured in Hungary.
2. Suzuki is a very good brand. I've had Suzuki and the car was cheap, economical and reliable at the same time. Sometimes I still miss it. It had not let me down in a single time while I had it.

nbcee liked this post
volodaaaa está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2015, 10:44 PM   #29868
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

i am having a breakfast during the break. we have fixed break quite early, 10h-10h30, so it's perfect time to have a breakfast since i prefer sleeping than to wake up half an hour earlier to have it at home.
Old January 8th, 2015, 10:48 PM   #29869
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
What do you do during lunch break?
The answer is contained within your question
Old January 8th, 2015, 10:51 PM   #29870
nbcee
Machiavellian travesty

Likes (Received): 13996

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadia View Post
Like volodaaaa said: we have a Suzuki factory and it floods the country with its products. And to be honest the price/value rate is not so bad (except for the old Swifts).

Emperor of Bir Tawil and the Nbcee farmlands
Demigod of DLM
nbcee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2015, 10:54 PM   #29871
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19376

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
The answer is contained within your question
It takes 5 minutes to finish two sandwiches I guess we Dutch don't value lunch that much, we just eat our sandwiches (usually prepared at home) and take a walk. I prefer being outside for half an hour over sitting in the cafeteria for lunch break. I already sit whole day behind a desk.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2015, 10:59 PM   #29872
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
It takes 5 minutes to finish two sandwiches I guess we Dutch don't value lunch that much, we just eat our sandwiches (usually prepared at home) and take a walk. I prefer being outside for half an hour over sitting in the cafeteria for lunch break. I already sit whole day behind a desk.
come on. he is Italian. don't ask him anything regarding the work between 12h and 14h. he is having his pasta. and bistecca. and tiramisu. and espresso. it takes some time to consume all that stuff
Old January 8th, 2015, 11:01 PM   #29873
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
It takes 5 minutes to finish two sandwiches I guess we Dutch don't value lunch that much,
I guess this as well

We have some tables on the grass, out in our campus, so we can eat outside when the weather's fine. But the idea of having lunch in 5 minutes is almost outrageous, to an Italian ear
Old January 9th, 2015, 12:16 AM   #29874
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Also the idea to eat 2 sandwiches for lunch
Besides having to eat real food at lunch, I also have to enjoy it, I can't hurry it, since then I won't feel good at all
Old January 9th, 2015, 12:20 AM   #29875
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
come on. he is Italian. don't ask him anything regarding the work between 12h and 14h.
My usual break is between 13:30 and 14:30
Old January 9th, 2015, 12:28 AM   #29876
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21232

Quote:
Me neither. These guys leave home at 6 a.m. and get home at 6.30 p.m. They often give up their lunch break as well to get home half an hour earlier, even though it is officially not permitted.
Does he have a family with kids?

Things are more complicated when you have multiple kids and two working adults. On this labor market, people often have to take jobs elsewhere, and there is no guarantee that a couple will find jobs in the same narrow area so they can move to a walkable/cyclable place nearby and ditch cars. This is even more truth for people on higher income brackets, whose jobs are not found plenty around in every city or neighborhood.
Old January 9th, 2015, 12:30 AM   #29877
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21232

I changed my eating habits heavily after moving here.

Now, I have two major daily meals: breakfast (around 8h) and late lunch (around 18h), before I go back to work again.
Old January 9th, 2015, 07:44 AM   #29878
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Spending day and night on SSC does not fall under the definition of work.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2015, 08:08 AM   #29879
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Or under the definition of taking a break from SSC.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

volodaaaa liked this post
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2015, 08:11 AM   #29880
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

I did say I'd still be here sporadically. When something good comes up worth responding to. Been on the road all night, switched my pc on and there it was. Something good came up so I just had to respond.

Penn's Woods liked this post
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways