daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 10th, 2015, 08:44 PM   #29901
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
I don't know how is in Spain, but I rented a car several times in UK and Ireland (rented by my company). I think that the best would be to rent a small car (something like Peugeot 107 because you really don't need something larger for a few days of holiday, and it's the cheapest type of car to rent). You should check online the prices, as they are a lot better than just to go at the airport and rent a car after arrival. I think you can also get a good deal if you book the flight ticket+car together (I saw this on some airlines websites). You will also need a credit card with some money on it (up to 1000 Euros I think) as a guarantee that you won't scrap the car.
I had good experience with some online reservation (similar idea to hotels.com but for rental car), it seems the site is dead
I also recommend the small car. I rented Twingo, but they had no Twingo, so they gave me Astra If I had actually rented Astra it would have cost me extra 100 Euro or something

Sponsored Links
Old January 10th, 2015, 08:51 PM   #29902
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1936

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Tirol, snow cover and 21 degrees above freezing
How that happened?
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2015, 08:55 PM   #29903
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 780

Must be all that hot air. ;-)

In other news, I just had to go out in it...forgot to pick up a prescription yesterday. But the Rita's Water Ice* near the pharmacy is opening for the summer on February 20. Granted, that's a long way off, but the last time I was down there the sign wasn't up.

*I know, "water ice." It's a Philly thing. In most of the country it's called Italian ice. I think it's close to a granita.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2015, 09:56 PM   #29904
MattiG

Likes (Received): 618

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
24 °C in Turin right now. Föhn is blowing
Helsinki has been at the boundary of cold and warm air masses for a while, and that has made the weather rather unstable. On Dec 30, the day temperature was -20 and the next day it was +4. It is now about zero. The forecast for Monday shows -16 and for Tuesday -1.
MattiG está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2015, 10:42 PM   #29905
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3438

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Must be all that hot air. ;-)

In other news, I just had to go out in it...forgot to pick up a prescription yesterday. But the Rita's Water Ice* near the pharmacy is opening for the summer on February 20. Granted, that's a long way off, but the last time I was down there the sign wasn't up.

*I know, "water ice." It's a Philly thing. In most of the country it's called Italian ice. I think it's close to a granita.
nice topic, i always wanted to know what you in America consider as ice cream usually. this "italian ice" thing is actually confusing me because it means something completely different in some other countries (for instance, in Poland you will see often special indications for "italian ice", but it is, as far as i saw, ice cream from machine, usually much more creamy than regulare ice cream).
also, that minced-ice-with-syrup thing - i've heard calling it "american ice cream" in Europe
Old January 10th, 2015, 11:52 PM   #29906
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

I know Americans have something they call "gelato", as we call it here, but I still can't figure how this is different from "ice cream" and how close this is to Italian gelato.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2015, 12:19 AM   #29907
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

If you call it gelato, you can charge more for it.

Seriously, the "gelato" at this place is made on the premises, very expensive, and very good.

(Now, Haagen-Dazs is producing something called "gelato." No idea what that's about....)

EDIT: Damn it! Just looked at the flavors of the day and now I want some.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Last edited by Penn's Woods; January 11th, 2015 at 12:24 AM.
Old January 11th, 2015, 12:20 AM   #29908
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
nice topic, i always wanted to know what you in America consider as ice cream usually. this "italian ice" thing is actually confusing me because it means something completely different in some other countries (for instance, in Poland you will see often special indications for "italian ice", but it is, as far as i saw, ice cream from machine, usually much more creamy than regulare ice cream).
also, that minced-ice-with-syrup thing - i've heard calling it "american ice cream" in Europe
Italian ice/"water ice" is just, well, minced ice with syrup. No milk or cream in it. Ice cream has cream. Sherbet and sorbet (which are not the same thing) fall somewhere in between.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old January 11th, 2015, 12:23 AM   #29909
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
I had good experience with some online reservation (similar idea to hotels.com but for rental car), it seems the site is dead
I also recommend the small car. I rented Twingo, but they had no Twingo, so they gave me Astra If I had actually rented Astra it would have cost me extra 100 Euro or something
The company I work for once booked for me a VW Golf, but the rental company gave me a free upgrade to a BMW 3-series
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog

Last edited by bogdymol; January 11th, 2015 at 12:53 AM. Reason: I never liked grammar
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2015, 01:01 AM   #29910
x-type
con los terroristas

Quote:
Italian ice/"water ice" is just, well, minced ice with syrup. No milk or cream in it. Ice cream has cream. Sherbet and sorbet (which are not the same thing) fall somewhere in between.
just as i thought.
this water ice that i saw called as american ice was actually at culinary tv programme, so it must have been awkward translation because we have only one word for all that stuff. (calling it only ice would not be that good because it wouldn't have sense of edible thing )
water ice is not that spread here, but it would be called granita if it was.

and yes, you link looks wonderful
Old January 11th, 2015, 02:26 AM   #29911
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Actually, on reflection, "minced ice with syrup" may be more a "snow cone" than Italian ice....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old January 11th, 2015, 03:43 AM   #29912
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Likes (Received): 4063

Guys what phones do you have? I have Samsung Galaxy S Duos 2.
Autoputevi kao hobi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2015, 03:46 AM   #29913
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

I have the one I've had since 2006. [Hangs head in shame.]

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Verso liked this post
Old January 11th, 2015, 10:25 AM   #29914
bigic
(-_-) -<>- ♂♂

Likes (Received): 136

ZTE Blade Q Mini.
bigic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2015, 11:13 AM   #29915
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18302

Nokia C2-01
cinxxx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2015, 11:40 AM   #29916
x-type
con los terroristas

Quote:
Actually, on reflection, "minced ice with syrup" may be more a "snow cone" than Italian ice....
you are making world of ice cream complicated

regarding that snow cone or granita or italian ice or something - it is widespread in Spain. but my friend from Barcelona gave me a tip - never buy any other tastes but lemon. that one is the only natural (squeezed lemons with sugar), others are made of artificial flavours. but i saw small parts of fruits in strawberry one (characteristic for strawberries, those seeds at the surface) so asked about it. she answered that it is tourist trap - sellers mince a fig into it to make that effect
Old January 11th, 2015, 12:07 PM   #29917
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

HTC desire.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2015, 12:55 PM   #29918
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1936

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputevi kao hobi View Post
Guys what phones do you have? I have Samsung Galaxy S Duos 2.
Sent from my Sony Xperia E .
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2015, 01:00 PM   #29919
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1750

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
you are making world of ice cream complicated

regarding that snow cone or granita or italian ice or something - it is widespread in Spain. but my friend from Barcelona gave me a tip - never buy any other tastes but lemon. that one is the only natural (squeezed lemons with sugar), others are made of artificial flavours. but i saw small parts of fruits in strawberry one (characteristic for strawberries, those seeds at the surface) so asked about it. she answered that it is tourist trap - sellers mince a fig into it to make that effect
I...I...don't get it. Ar...are you t-trying to t-tell me, that Facebook ice cream is not natural?

bogdymol, x-type liked this post
volodaaaa está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2015, 01:48 PM   #29920
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

I am kind of ice cream lover. Only natural ingredients for me. My favourite gelateria in Bologna burned down some years ago - I had my suspicions on the most famous gelateria, which sells horrible ice creams but is very central. I mourned for months.

Motorola Moto G X1032, by the way.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways