daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 13th, 2015, 10:24 PM   #29961
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Granted (new page!), it would be silly to adopt a base-six numbering system or whatever, but I don't see why they should put the abstract notion of not being more than 12 hours off GMT ahead of the very real inconvenience to them of being on both sides of the date line.

(And, not to beat a dead horse, but there are some very large countries with non-conformist measurement systems that still managed to put men on the moon and invent the Internet.)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 13th, 2015, 11:00 PM   #29962
MattiG

Likes (Received): 618

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
But here is the thing: we live in a connected World. The ability to communicate and trade efficiently is one of the paramount tenets of modern life on a global society. That is why standardization of many issues such as languages, measurements, scientific definitions, industrial components, data protocols (gosh!, without it the Internet wouldn't exist as we have it, period), travel documents are a key feature of which.
So, what is the problem you would like to solve?
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2015, 11:07 PM   #29963
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Parts of Kiribati being more than 12 hours off GMT, apparently. The fact that solving that would put parts of the country nearly 24 hours off other parts of the same country is apparently unimportant.

(Very Eurocentric point of view, actually... )

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old January 13th, 2015, 11:31 PM   #29964
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
yes. i mean, not me, it sounds somehow arhaic to me, but you can hear that expression quite often, nothing strange with it.

why do you ask it?
Because I've only ever heard "snijeg se topi".

Quote:
I'm very against these time zones > |12|. All time zones should be between -12 till +12.

Kiribati should just scale back to UTC-10, and American Samoa to UTC-11.
One of rare occasions where I agree with Suburbanist. Kiribati IMO doesn't belong to our "time-measuring system" (or whatever you call it), just like Saudi Arabia (which is still in the 14th century), even though the difference is just 1 or 2 hours. They can have it if they want though. But, if we wanna know the time in Saudi Arabia, we convert it to our time, so that we don't have to think about the 14th century. Converting the time in Kiribati would be kind of silly though. It's just an exception, I guess.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2015, 12:03 AM   #29965
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post

One of rare occasions where I agree with Suburbanist. Kiribati IMO doesn't belong to our "time-measuring system" (or whatever you call it), just like Saudi Arabia (which is still in the 14th century), even though the difference is just 1 or 2 hours. They can have it if they want though. But, if we wanna know the time in Saudi Arabia, we convert it to our time, so that we don't have to think about the 14th century. Converting the time in Kiribati would be kind of silly though. It's just an exception, I guess.
What's the issue with Saudi Arabia timezone? It's a regular UTC+3. There are many strange time zones ending in 1/2 or 3/4.
But the most absurd is this.
Large map: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._Zones_Map.png
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2015, 12:09 AM   #29966
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1751

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
yes. i mean, not me, it sounds somehow arhaic to me, but you can hear that expression quite often, nothing strange with it.

why do you ask it?
Does not it mean "snow is piling"?

Btw. to keep the topic up: what do you think about this regular calendar?

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2015, 12:13 AM   #29967
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Likes (Received): 4063

I don't mind that new calendar.I think that this idea should work very well.
Autoputevi kao hobi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2015, 12:14 AM   #29968
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18303

Срећна Нова година (Srećna Nova godina)!
С Новым Годом (S novim godom)!
Щасливого Нового Року / З Новим роком (z novym rokom)!

cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2015, 12:32 AM   #29969
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
Does not it mean "snow is piling"?

Btw. to keep the topic up: what do you think about this regular calendar?
More info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interna...Fixed_Calendar
It also included a "leap day" every 4 years between June and Sol.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old January 14th, 2015, 12:35 AM   #29970
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1751

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
More info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interna...Fixed_Calendar
It also included a "leap day" every 4 years between June and Sol.

The "major disadvantage" of the system is the existence of 13 Fridays 13th
yo dawg, I heard you are superstitious

Verso liked this post
volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2015, 12:38 AM   #29971
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post

What should they do - move the country slightly to the left?

(Gratuitous Fawlty Towers reference there.)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old January 14th, 2015, 12:40 AM   #29972
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
What's the issue with Saudi Arabia timezone? It's a regular UTC+3. There are many strange time zones ending in 1/2 or 3/4.
But the most absurd is this.
Large map: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._Zones_Map.png
Makes perfect sense: it's midway between Perth time and Adelaide time.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old January 14th, 2015, 12:43 AM   #29973
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Likes (Received): 4063

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
Срећна Нова година (Srećna Nova godina)!
С Новым Годом (S novim godom)!
Щасливого Нового Року / З Новим роком (z novym rokom)!

New Year is in 17 minutes
Autoputevi kao hobi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2015, 12:57 AM   #29974
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Quote:
But here is the thing: we live in a connected World. The ability to communicate and trade efficiently is one of the paramount tenets of modern life on a global society. That is why standardization of many issues such as languages, measurements, scientific definitions, industrial components, data protocols (gosh!, without it the Internet wouldn't exist as we have it, period), travel documents are a key feature of which.
Elimination of tariff and non-tariff trade barriers is much more important. For the time, your phone will automatically adjust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
(And, not to beat a dead horse, but there are some very large countries with non-conformist measurement systems that still managed to put men on the moon and invent the Internet.)
except... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_Climate_Orbiter
Old January 14th, 2015, 01:19 AM   #29975
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Makes perfect sense: it's midway between Perth time and Adelaide time.
This time zone includes only few square kms along the Eyre Highway, in Western Australia near the border with Southern Australia. It's strange a time zone for a such small area. It would be like having a special time zone just for Haparanda or Nadlac (border between UTC+1 and UTC+2).
Old January 14th, 2015, 01:34 AM   #29976
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21245

Kiribati could just move do the other side of the International Date Line, having UTC-12, UTC-11 and UTC-10 as its time zones. Problem solved.
Old January 14th, 2015, 02:43 AM   #29977
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
That's what comes of trying to have it both ways. If they'd just stuck to traditional measures, that wouldn't have happened.

Which somehow reminds me that the last time I was in Montreal, the soft-drink machine in my hotel was promising drinks that were "froid - 37F.'

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old January 14th, 2015, 02:44 AM   #29978
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
This time zone includes only few square kms along the Eyre Highway, in Western Australia near the border with Southern Australia. It's strange a time zone for a such small area. It would be like having a special time zone just for Haparanda or Nadlac (border between UTC+1 and UTC+2).
I was joking. About it making perfect sense, I mean. But I assume that was the reasoning....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old January 14th, 2015, 02:59 AM   #29979
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Kiribati could just move do the other side of the International Date Line, having UTC-12, UTC-11 and UTC-10 as its time zones. Problem solved.
Fair enough.

Hmmm.. Is Kiribati the place that changed its time (probably moving across the Date Line in the other direction) so that it would be the first place in the world to enter the 21st century?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old January 14th, 2015, 03:07 AM   #29980
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Talking of time zones, are Ceuta and Melilla on Spanish or Moroccan time?

EDIT: And I didn't know Saint-Pierre-et-Miquelon had a time difference with Newfoundland, and even if you told me it did I'd expect them to be on Atlantic Time (UTC -4) rather than out on their own.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Last edited by Penn's Woods; January 14th, 2015 at 03:13 AM.

Tags
highways, motorways