daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 15th, 2015, 09:54 PM   #30021
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
I think he was an Albanian, not a Serb. I'd probably recognize him on a photo. The story is really as random as it can get. I was appointed to a dentist, I was already driving there when he calls me and tells me not to come, because they're installing some new equipment and it isn't finished yet. So I decide to visit a friend working in an insurance company office in a supermarket. So we chat when two guys step in and one of them wants to insure his house in Ljubljana. Then we all kind of chat with each other and one of them says he studied in Zagreb and was a vice-president of the Kosovo parliament. The other guy was also an Albanian, but he looked like a Native American (Indian). So yeah, whatever. Then a house painter came in and I told him to paint my apartment.
Meanwhile in Kosovo
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 15th, 2015, 09:58 PM   #30022
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Did your friend send you the link or the actual glitter box? ��
LOL.

The link.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2015, 10:23 PM   #30023
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21246

C'mon people, you can have opinion on the whole arms issue, but some basic statistics is due on the discussion.

No inference can be made about the correlation between gun laws and crime rates, and the effect of guns on crimes, unless you control for all variables that also affect crime.

Are the areas with though gun laws inhabited by people of the same income and education profile as areas with lax gun laws? Are unemployment rates the same? Are court and law enforcement resources the same? Are there stochastic components of crime rate that differ? Is the age pyramid similar? Is the prevalence of untreated mental health cases comparable?

Without such controls, comparisons are not much meaningful. It is like if I draw a map of tractor accidents and then end up with the "shocking" conclusion that building houses and stores over farmland will slash the rate of tractor-operation injuries and deaths.

Penn's Woods liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2015, 10:33 PM   #30024
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Not to mention the fact that New York and Philadelphia can pass all the gun-control laws they want, but that won't stop people buying them (legally) in Virginia and driving up 95.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old January 15th, 2015, 10:34 PM   #30025
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

Apparently you can access assault rifles in Europe. Just now the Belgian police shot dead two terror suspects that used AK-type rifles to shoot at the police. Underworld assassinations in the Netherlands increasingly see the use of assault rifles, sparking debate whether the police should have easier access to similar weapons.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2015, 10:52 PM   #30026
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21246

The Swiss central bank has stopped setting a 1,20 per Euro ceiling for the CHF. Yesterday, it traded as low as 0.85. Switzerland has never been so expensive therefore, I wonder if it will be cheaper to refuel in Germany and Italy for long-distance travelers should this trend keep in place.
Old January 15th, 2015, 11:55 PM   #30027
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
The Swiss central bank has stopped setting a 1,20 per Euro ceiling for the CHF. Yesterday, it traded as low as 0.85. Switzerland has never been so expensive therefore, I wonder if it will be cheaper to refuel in Germany and Italy for long-distance travelers should this trend keep in place.
0.85 was a hysterical rate. Tonight it's 0.999. I expect the rate to become stable at the level 1 € = 1.05 Fr. But even that rate would be significantly higher than 1.20 less then 24 hours ago.

I think the background for that is the fall of euro. This summer 1€ was 1.37 US $, tonight it's 1.16. Consequently 1Fr was 1.13 - 1.14$ in spring and summer but 0.98 this morning. This fall of franc rate had no real economical reason so there was a huge pressure on Switzerland to let the franc to be stronger again. The 1.16 rate of this night is almost the same as that of spring 2014.
Attus está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2015, 12:25 AM   #30028
lastsamurai
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4176

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
I think he was an Albanian, not a Serb. I'd probably recognize him on a photo. The story is really as random as it can get. I was appointed to a dentist, I was already driving there when he calls me and tells me not to come, because they're installing some new equipment and it isn't finished yet. So I decide to visit a friend working in an insurance company office in a supermarket. So we chat when two guys step in and one of them wants to insure his house in Ljubljana. Then we all kind of chat with each other and one of them says he studied in Zagreb and was a vice-president of the Kosovo parliament. The other guy was also an Albanian, but he looked like a Native American (Indian). So yeah, whatever. Then a house painter came in and I told him to paint my apartment.
Slobodan Petrovic?.Albanian?
lastsamurai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2015, 12:26 AM   #30029
lastsamurai
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
Meanwhile in Kosovo
[youtube]2g0dyvJSrjo[youtube]
Yes,and what?.What was Vucic expecting,flowers?.You should better check your romanian internal problems than our problems as 1 in 2 posts of you are about Albania.
Old January 16th, 2015, 12:34 AM   #30030
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

exactly 2:35 hours past since another colleague from here predicted you will come and protect your land.
I think you can do better
Old January 16th, 2015, 12:38 AM   #30031
lastsamurai
BANNED

Quote:
exactly 2:35 hours past since another colleague from here predicted you will come and protect your land.
I think you can do better
You are an obsessed person and better start having an life for your good than doing the whatever knowing on others matters.
Old January 16th, 2015, 12:47 AM   #30032
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

I have "a" (not "an") life, don't worry
I work and I like to travel much, just look at my photo albums

PS You can still do better then that
Old January 16th, 2015, 12:51 AM   #30033
lastsamurai
BANNED

Quote:
I have "a" (not "an") life, don't worry
I work and I like to travel much, just look at my photo albums

PS You can still do better then that
Yep,english..a language that i dont like.

Not interested in your photos.
Old January 16th, 2015, 02:28 AM   #30034
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Whoa. What was that about?

Take a little nap and another Balkan War breaks out.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Verso liked this post
Old January 16th, 2015, 02:33 AM   #30035
El Tiburon

Likes (Received): 314

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
That's true, it's not guns' fault, but people's. Guns helped immensely, though. Since people can't be banned, I'd ban guns, with a great sense of relief.
People cannot be banned but those who coomit violent personal crimes can be banished to prison without infringing upon the rights of those who don't commit such crimes and behave civilzedly. Banning guns from law-abiding citizens without banishing the violent criminals will not solve the problem..
El Tiburon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2015, 02:36 AM   #30036
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Spinoza, would you "ban guns" completely (except from law enforcement, presumably)? Even for hunting? I'm not a hunter and that doesn't affect me personally, but I'm wondering if any country on the planet has done that. (Forgetting about North Korea and Cuba.)

A serious question.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old January 16th, 2015, 03:14 AM   #30037
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Likes (Received): 4063

I like guns
One day i will become hunter
Also i would like to live in USA just for one reason,to have AK-47 in my hands .
ps g.spinoza Don't take this as something bad
Autoputevi kao hobi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2015, 05:07 AM   #30038
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

I think that is the saddest point that everyone seems to forget when arguing about gun laws. The one thing bans and restrictions make is to cause people who are law-abiding and reasonable, to be unable to pursue their dreams and desires, in this case, ownership of whatever firearm. We must understand that this is a tragedy.

Talking of crime is silly - if you kill someone you go jail for life, clearly some fine or short jail time for owning a particular firearm is not being considered as a factor for the person, surely.

Some little regulations for safety are reasonable and fine, maybe like for cars, they are dangerous, but you prove you can drive safely and you can do as you want.

The US is relatively liberal but has many silly regulations that were enacted by politics (especially in the emotional wake of unfortunate events, which... we can't argue, must be avoided!) that just hurt people. I like the Czech system myself best I think... but the Czechs probably invented guns anyhow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Spinoza, would you "ban guns" completely (except from law enforcement, presumably)? Even for hunting? I'm not a hunter and that doesn't affect me personally, but I'm wondering if any country on the planet has done that. (Forgetting about North Korea and Cuba.)

A serious question.
Weimar Germany enacted an immediate seizure law with serious penalties circa 1919 as required by Treaty of Versailles. It was loosened approximately 10 years later, Hitler loosened it further but took everything from the Jews of course...

El Tiburon liked this post

Last edited by Kanadzie; January 16th, 2015 at 05:12 AM.
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2015, 06:59 AM   #30039
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post

A serious question.
Why banning them completely, why not making obtaining them very difficult. E. G. Hunting weapons for those that have a track record by an hunting organisation and got some special license etc. Psychological profiling. Background checking. Regular license renewal. Etc
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2015, 08:49 AM   #30040
El Tiburon

Likes (Received): 314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputevi kao hobi View Post
I like guns
One day i will become hunter
Also i would like to live in USA just for one reason,to have AK-47 in my hands .
ps g.spinoza Don't take this as something bad
There is a company called IO now making AK-47's in Florida (USA) and they are selling for $499 with polymer furniture and $589 with varnished wood furniture, brand new. That's a pretty decent price (if they are good quality, of course).
El Tiburon no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways