daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 16th, 2015, 09:10 AM   #30041
El Tiburon

Likes (Received): 314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
The US is relatively liberal but has many silly regulations that were enacted by politics (especially in the emotional wake of unfortunate events, which... we can't argue, must be avoided!) that just hurt people.
Politicians in the US love to capitalize on tragedies to further their political agendas, specially those agendas that involve controlling people, restricting their liberties and abridging their constitutional rights while augmenting the powers of the state. Rahm Emanuel, the mayor of Chicago and former chief of staff in the Obama White House even coined a phrase about the practice: "Never let a good crisis go to waste". Anti-gun politicians and elitist billionaires and control freaks like former New York City mayor Michael Boomberg tried to milk the Newtown tragedy for all it was worth and manipulate it to impose restrictions and regulations against law-abiding gun owners that would not have prevented the tragedy, but were unable to do so at the federal level. They managed to impose some restrictions in some states, but in Colorado, voters recalled ouut of office the legisltors who voted for it and in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, voters resoundly rejected Bloomberg's attempts to unseat the popular and pro-gun black sheriff by injecting lots of money into his oponent's campaigns.

Quote:
I like the Czech system myself best I think... but the Czechs probably invented guns anyhow.
What is the Czech system?

Quote:
Weimar Germany enacted an immediate seizure law with serious penalties circa 1919 as required by Treaty of Versailles. It was loosened approximately 10 years later, Hitler loosened it further but took everything from the Jews of course...
Historically, gun registration and subsequent confiscation have preceded the imposition and consolidations of dictatorships. As Chinese communist dictator Mao Zedong used to say: "Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" and dictators, by definition, do not tolerate political power in the hands of anyone other than themselves and their dictatorships.
El Tiburon no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 16th, 2015, 09:38 AM   #30042
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2115

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tiburon View Post
People cannot be banned but those who coomit violent personal crimes can be banished to prison without infringing upon the rights of those who don't commit such crimes and behave civilzedly. Banning guns from law-abiding citizens without banishing the violent criminals will not solve the problem..
I think it would, instead.
You know, I really don't think it would solve the problem putting people in prison after a murder has been committed. This is not solving the problem, because people die. Solving the problem is saving lives first.
You see, I don't think having a gun is a right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Spinoza, would you "ban guns" completely (except from law enforcement, presumably)? Even for hunting? I'm not a hunter and that doesn't affect me personally, but I'm wondering if any country on the planet has done that. (Forgetting about North Korea and Cuba.)

A serious question.
A serious answer, yes I would. In a perfect world I would close down immediately any gun factory.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2015, 12:46 PM   #30043
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastsamurai View Post
Slobodan Petrovic?.Albanian?
No, I don't know his name (and no, according to Google images it wasn't Slobodan Petrović).
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2015, 02:29 PM   #30044
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
Why banning them completely, why not making obtaining them very difficult. E. G. Hunting weapons for those that have a track record by an hunting organisation and got some special license etc. Psychological profiling. Background checking. Regular license renewal. Etc
Much of which I'm in favor of and we actually have.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2015, 02:31 PM   #30045
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tiburon View Post
Politicians in the US love to capitalize on tragedies to further their political agendas, specially those agendas that involve controlling people, restricting their liberties and abridging their constitutional rights while augmenting the powers of the state.
Can't you assume that some people might, just might, sincerely think that making it more difficult for mentally ill teenagers to slaughter classrooms full of first-graders is a good idea?

Sheesh.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

g.spinoza liked this post
Old January 16th, 2015, 04:13 PM   #30046
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Brilliant. Just brilliant:

http://www.newsweek.com/change-gun-l...g-rabbi-299102

(AND now Google's feeding me ads for the NRA....)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old January 16th, 2015, 06:17 PM   #30047
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1755

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
You know, I really don't think it would solve the problem putting people in prison after a murder has been committed. This is not solving the problem, because people die. Solving the problem is saving lives first.

A serious answer, yes I would. In a perfect world I would close down immediately any gun factory.
I rather agree with you. And I also don't like hunting much... unless necessary regulation of wild animal population .

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2015, 10:27 PM   #30048
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Gud ivning, evriwan. Woc ap?
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2015, 12:55 AM   #30049
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

- edit
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2015, 12:57 AM   #30050
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

interesting how they are not allowed to sell guns on Christmas and New Years... anti-suicide measure?

Quote:

But I don't understand - how are you saving lives? Surely the person's first idea is to kill someone, and second thought is how, not "oh I have a gun so I better kill someone" Anyway you can make your own gun in a few hours, is just a tube

Quote:
Can't you assume that some people might, just might, sincerely think that making it more difficult for mentally ill teenagers to slaughter classrooms full of first-graders is a good idea?

Sheesh.
But nobody has seriously proposed anything that would help with that (just look at the Montreal experience). If anything what we need is to look at mental illness first... which would help this and many other problems - but the answers aren't obvious and so we go for easy things.

El Tiburon liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2015, 01:03 AM   #30051
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

Quote:
Indeed.

Quote:
The problem is that you would need to close them all down. And then still what about an aggressive visit from outer space?

Unfortunately, weapons are part of the evolution.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2015, 01:05 AM   #30052
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Likes (Received): 4063

I like those pictures!
But i am not a fan of M4
Autoputevi kao hobi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2015, 02:16 AM   #30053
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

Autoputevi kao hobi, Peines liked this post
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2015, 02:43 AM   #30054
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
That might be, and then you walk in Wall Mart and see this?

or this?

I am not so sure where one could see this:

PLEASE don't assume that the situation is the same everywhere. Local laws vary. Supermarkets in New Jersey can sell liquor and wine; so can convenience stores in Ohio. Neither can in Pennsylvania.

And I never go to Wal-Mart.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

El Tiburon liked this post
Old January 17th, 2015, 02:44 AM   #30055
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
But nobody has seriously proposed anything that would help with that (just look at the Montreal experience). If anything what we need is to look at mental illness first... which would help this and many other problems - but the answers aren't obvious and so we go for easy things.
Of course. But we could at least have enough respect for "the other side" not to make unfounded accusations about their motivations.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old January 17th, 2015, 02:45 AM   #30056
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post

Troll.

(And also...Confederate flag? [self-censored])

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old January 17th, 2015, 02:45 AM   #30057
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Likes (Received): 4063

@italystf i am 16,5 years old,you can't compare me with 1 year old kid.
Autoputevi kao hobi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2015, 02:47 AM   #30058
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Indeed.

The problem is that you would need to close them all down. And then still what about an aggressive visit from outer space?

Unfortunately, weapons are part of the evolution.
Close them down AND confiscate the guns that are already out there.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old January 17th, 2015, 04:02 AM   #30059
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21249

Handguns are much more dangerous for public safety than long arms for hunting, unless these are semi-automatic.

Rifles are easily visibly by anyone, and they cannot be operated in a concealed manner. They must be carried around.

Handguns, on the other hand, can be hidden on tight spaces and used with the most discretion.
Old January 17th, 2015, 07:11 AM   #30060
El Tiburon

Likes (Received): 314

Quote:

Sheesh.
That is a good idea. But what anto-gun politicians proposed was aimed squarely at sane adults who do not commit crimes with guns and would not have prevented tragedies like Newtown. And few, if any, of those politicians mantioned the well-known and well-labeled suicidal/homicidal side effects of the anti-depressants and other psychotropic medications taken by mass shooters. Instead, they tried to blame the inamnimate guns and the law-abiding gun owners when the fault lied with the shooters who did the killings, the dotors who prescribed the meds known to have homicidal and suicidal ideations and impulses without proper supervision and information to parents and the parents (like Adam Lanza's mother who let him have access to her guns despite his mental illnes and medications, for which she paid with her life as his first victim).
El Tiburon no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways