daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 17th, 2015, 07:52 AM   #30061
El Tiburon

Likes (Received): 314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
interesting how they are not allowed to sell guns on Christmas and New Years... anti-suicide measure?
Most likely that's an internal company policy of Walmart rather than a state law.

Quote:
But I don't understand - how are you saving lives? Surely the person's first idea is to kill someone, and second thought is how, not "oh I have a gun so I better kill someone" Anyway you can make your own gun in a few hours, is just a tube
Lives are not getting saved as long as those who have no regard for human life are loose in society.

Quote:
But nobody has seriously proposed anything that would help with that (just look at the Montreal experience). If anything what we need is to look at mental illness first... which would help this and many other problems - but the answers aren't obvious and so we go for easy things.
Gun control has nothing to do with guns or crime control. It's people and social control by unempowering the citizens. That's why the proposed measures would have little or no result against crime but would be very effective at curtailing freedom and constituional rights. Just like the mass surveillance of American citizens has pretty much zero effect against terrorism but politicians use it as a means to scare the people into supporting it and giving up their privacy.
El Tiburon no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 17th, 2015, 08:24 AM   #30062
El Tiburon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
PLEASE don't assume that the situation is the same everywhere. Local laws vary. Supermarkets in New Jersey can sell liquor and wine; so can convenience stores in Ohio. Neither can in Pennsylvania.

And I never go to Wal-Mart.
Non-Americans often think there is uniformity in laws or regulations. However, they vary widely by state, county and municipality. And in Walmart they vary by store and neighborhood. some sell firearms, some don't and some stores sell some weapons and not others.

In Florida, for example, supermarkets and gas stations can sell wine and beer but no liquor, which is only sold at liquor stores. In New Hampshire, the state is in the liquor business and the New Hampshire Liquor Commission has liquor and wine outlets where iit sells alcohol at vary cheap prices. And many cities and counties have blue laws that do not allow alcohol sales on Sundays.
Old January 17th, 2015, 08:51 AM   #30063
El Tiburon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Close them down AND confiscate the guns that are already out there.
That's exactly what every dictatorship always does and the reason why the Founding Fathers presciently and wisely put the Second Amendment in the Bill of Rights. If you don't like something, don't have it, but don't try to ban it or confiscated from others..
Old January 17th, 2015, 09:07 AM   #30064
El Tiburon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Handguns are much more dangerous for public safety than long arms for hunting, unless these are semi-automatic.
Semi-automatic guns are no more dangerous than any other guns. Semi-automatic rifles have been around since the late 19th century and are commonly used for hunting. They fire only one round per pull of the trigger and load the nezt round by using the recoil or gas from the previous round to load the next one.

The left-wing media and the anti-gun politicians have created a black legend about semi-automatic rifles in hopes to ban them, often based not on the action and mechanism but on its cosmetic looks.. And the statistics show that knives, clubs, hammers, hands and fet are used more often in murders than any kind of rifle.

Last edited by El Tiburon; January 17th, 2015 at 09:12 AM.
Old January 17th, 2015, 11:26 AM   #30065
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1755

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tiburon View Post
Semi-automatic guns are no more dangerous than any other guns. Semi-automatic rifles have been around since the late 19th century and are commonly used for hunting. They fire only one round per pull of the trigger and load the nezt round by using the recoil or gas from the previous round to load the next one.

The left-wing media and the anti-gun politicians have created a black legend about semi-automatic rifles in hopes to ban them, often based not on the action and mechanism but on its cosmetic looks.. And the statistics show that knives, clubs, hammers, hands and fet are used more often in murders than any kind of rifle.
And how many casualties has been caused due to kinder surprise?

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2015, 02:13 PM   #30066
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
That's exactly what every dictatorship always does and the reason why the Founding Fathers presciently and wisely put the Second Amendment in the Bill of Rights. If you don't like something, don't have it, but don't try to ban it or confiscated from others..
In case it wasn't clear, I wasn't saying "do that"; I was sort of adding to someone else's thought. (You'd have to close them down, he said, and I added "and [you'd have to] confiscate...".)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2015, 03:14 PM   #30067
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

In any case I agree with Penn's signature. We - as Europeans - have no right to lecture him on something that doesn't really concern us. They do things differently and unless we can choose the next US president ourselves we'd be better off looking at our problems first before lecturing Americans on theirs.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2015, 04:45 PM   #30068
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2115

I can't understand why I should not say that something happening in another country is wrong in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
But I don't understand - how are you saving lives? Surely the person's first idea is to kill someone, and second thought is how, not "oh I have a gun so I better kill someone" Anyway you can make your own gun in a few hours, is just a tube :lol
This is homicide by someone who deliberately wants to. Not all homicides are like that, and even of they were, it's much more difficult to mass murder with a knife.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2015, 05:40 PM   #30069
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

You can, just don't annoy Michael with it. For one thing it's not his fault, and secondly, we got things to worry about here that are far worse.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2015, 05:49 PM   #30070
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Michael is not annoyed, but appreciates the intervention. (And Spinoza and anyone else can say what they want so long as it's (1) in good faith and (2) not xenophobic bullshit.)

In fact, he's sparing you his opinions on the rather elastic definition of free speech y'all are defending over there.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old January 17th, 2015, 06:28 PM   #30071
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Likes (Received): 4063

@ Penn's Wood are you originally Dutch?
Autoputevi kao hobi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2015, 06:37 PM   #30072
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

100% Polish ancestry, as far as I know, born in the U.S.

Into languages, learned Dutch on my own (however imperfectly) after I found myself unexpectedly in Ostend....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Autoputevi kao hobi liked this post
Old January 17th, 2015, 08:22 PM   #30073
John Maynard
BANNED

Likes (Received): 376

Anyway, to stay "on-topic" .

I know that in Poland you can bear on you all the time and acquire without any permission guns like this:

Colt Model 1860 Army Revolver (black powder)

Just like in the Old West !
John Maynard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2015, 09:17 PM   #30074
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
You can, just don't annoy Michael with it. For one thing it's not his fault, and secondly, we got things to worry about here that are far worse.
I think Michael can speak for himself.
Besides, he is a first amendment fetishist so I'm sure he appreciates the fact that I express my opinion. I don't really care too much if he's annoyed, it's not my problem, in all honesty.
Old January 17th, 2015, 11:16 PM   #30075
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Maynard View Post
Anyway, to stay "on-topic" .

I know that in Poland you can bear on you all the time and acquire without any permission guns like this:

Colt Model 1860 Army Revolver (black powder)

Just like in the Old West !
Haha, noon at the Poznan saloon
Old January 18th, 2015, 12:19 AM   #30076
John Maynard
BANNED

Likes (Received): 376

John Maynard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2015, 07:05 AM   #30077
El Tiburon

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
And how many casualties has been caused due to kinder surprise?
Very few. The ban on kinder surprises is one of those overreaching "egg"xagerations of the safety freaks and their nanny-state mentality.
Old January 18th, 2015, 07:15 AM   #30078
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 897

The list of countries my insurance is valid in includes the whole EU, Iceland, Norway, Switzerland, the and the European microstates, except, if I remember rightly, San Marino for some reason. I wonder why.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2015, 11:09 AM   #30079
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
The list of countries my insurance is valid in includes the whole EU, Iceland, Norway, Switzerland, the and the European microstates, except, if I remember rightly, San Marino for some reason. I wonder why.
Are you sure? For these matters, San Marino and Italy are basically the same thing.
Old January 18th, 2015, 12:02 PM   #30080
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1755

Quote:
Very few. The ban on kinder surprises is one of those overreaching "egg"xagerations of the safety freaks and their nanny-state mentality.
To be honest, I envy you the US law in some points. In my country, if I attack and thus injure a burglar who is trying to do over my house and injure him, I am the guilty one and they are the victims Needless to say the over correctiveness of EU.

If there are two good singers and one is the transsexual, the transsexual must be better. Another case: the better women ration in government, the better government.

I miss the times, when singers were considered regardless their sexual orientation (e.g. Freddie Mercury who was firstly* one of the greatest singer and showman in the history and then homosexual and transsexual) and all government excluding extremists parties as result of pure democracy.

I might be sick, but I still evaluate people on the way they act, whether are honest, well behaved, how responsible in their domain are and whether do not hurt anyone.

-----------------
*see Conchita Wurst - (s)he is mediocre singer, but is an "idol" because of her(his) orientation. She can't even compare to Freddie though.

El Tiburon liked this post
volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways