daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 18th, 2015, 12:31 PM   #30081
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

My car insurance is even valid in Iran, Israel, Morocco, Russia, Tunisia and Turkey. On the other hand, San Marino, Liechtenstein and Monaco are not mentioned.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 18th, 2015, 01:28 PM   #30082
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2104

I guess they're included into EU validity.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2015, 01:32 PM   #30083
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2104

Meanwhile, the glitter box prank made it into Italian national news:

http://www.corriere.it/esteri/15_gen...7d0f9d0e.shtml
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2015, 02:20 PM   #30084
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

They would normally mention EU plus Norway and Switzerland.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2015, 03:14 PM   #30085
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Meanwhile, the glitter box prank made it into Italian national news:

http://www.corriere.it/esteri/15_gen...7d0f9d0e.shtml
Sending glitter is too mild for certain people:
http://www.poopsenders.com/
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2015, 10:53 PM   #30086
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 893

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
The list of countries my insurance is valid in includes the whole EU, Iceland, Norway, Switzerland, the and the European microstates, except, if I remember rightly, San Marino for some reason. I wonder why.
To be precise it states:

Quote:
This Certificate is valid for Great Britain, Northern Ireland, Isle of Man and Channel Islands; any other
country which is a member of the European Union and Norway, Switzerland, Iceland, Croatia, Andorra and Liechtenstein.
This policy allows 90 days abroad, the company I insured with before only allowed 7 days outside the British Isles.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2015, 10:55 PM   #30087
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18299

cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2015, 11:08 PM   #30088
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

I am amused by the difference between Czechs and Slovaks
Old January 18th, 2015, 11:13 PM   #30089
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

They have robots so they can drink beer while working.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Kanadzie liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2015, 11:35 PM   #30090
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Isn't "roboty" like Slovak word for working, maybe they mistranslated and they have 100% work experience with working

TommyLopez liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2015, 11:41 PM   #30091
El Tiburon

Likes (Received): 314

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
To be honest, I envy you the US law in some points. In my country, if I attack and thus injure a burglar who is trying to do over my house and injure him, I am the guilty one and they are the victims Needless to say the over correctiveness of EU.

If there are two good singers and one is the transsexual, the transsexual must be better. Another case: the better women ration in government, the better government.

I miss the times, when singers were considered regardless their sexual orientation (e.g. Freddie Mercury who was firstly* one of the greatest singer and showman in the history and then homosexual and transsexual) and all government excluding extremists parties as result of pure democracy.

I might be sick, but I still evaluate people on the way they act, whether are honest, well behaved, how responsible in their domain are and whether do not hurt anyone.

-----------------
*see Conchita Wurst - (s)he is mediocre singer, but is an "idol" because of her(his) orientation. She can't even compare to Freddie though.
In most states of the USA, self-defense is a right and the laws are written to avoid results like those you describe in your country.

Political correctness is a very hypocritical, absurd and non-sensical artificial construct of those who want to be seen as "tolerant" or "enlightened" or "feel guilty" for their prior behavior towards minorities. It is usually a left-wing concept derived from Maoism and it leads to restrictions on freedom of speech and to mindless zero-tolerance policies.

In the United States, there are many Spanish-language radio and TV stations in areas with large Hispanic population, like Los Angeles, New York or Miami. The comedy shows on Spanish TV are totally politically-incorrect with jokes based on sex, race, religion, ethnic or national origin, age, mental and physical disability and sexual orientation, that English-language media would never dare air because of political correctness. Yet, in those Hispanic areas, everyone laughs and understands that those are just jokes not to be taken seriously no matter how offensive they appear to be.

italystf liked this post
El Tiburon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2015, 12:04 AM   #30092
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tiburon View Post
In most states of the USA, self-defense is a right and the laws are written to avoid results like those you describe in your country.

Political correctness is a very hypocritical, absurd and non-sensical artificial construct of those who want to be seen as "tolerant" or "enlightened" or "feel guilty" for their prior behavior towards minorities. It is usually a left-wing concept derived from Maoism and it leads to restrictions on freedom of speech and to mindless zero-tolerance policies.

In the United States, there are many Spanish-language radio and TV stations in areas with large Hispanic population, like Los Angeles, New York or Miami. The comedy shows on Spanish TV are totally politically-incorrect with jokes based on sex, race, religion, ethnic or national origin, age, mental and physical disability and sexual orientation, that English-language media would never dare air because of political correctness. Yet, in those Hispanic areas, everyone laughs and understands that those are just jokes not to be taken seriously no matter how offensive they appear to be.
In democracies we guarantee the same rights to everyone. But we reached the paradox that the majority is always arrogant, evil and must be criticized when it's wrong, while minorities deserve a "special protection status", that make any critics against them politically incorrect.
Examples:
"I'm proud to be white": "I'm a f*****g bad*ss racist"
"I'm proud to be black": "I'm proud of my origins and I don't care about stupid racists"
"I'm proud to be straight": "I'm a homofobic racist"
"I'm proud to be gay": "I'm brave and I don't fear to say who am I"
Native who steal: criminal
Immigrant who steal: he needs to eat
Someone from my country annoys me and I insult him: I'm right, he deseves these words
An immigrant annoys me and I insult him: I'm a racist
An European beats his dog: criminal
A Muslim practices the cruel halal butchery: it's his culture
A native has anti-social behaviour: criminal
An immigrant has anti-social behaviour: different culture
A native is poor: he should find a job
An immigrant is poor: we should give him free money
We spread our culture in the developing world: imperialism
Immigrants create lawless slums in our cities: multiculturalism
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

El Tiburon, Nordic20T, riiga, Zanovijetalo liked this post
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2015, 12:06 AM   #30093
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1748

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
_
Is not it ironic?

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2015, 12:17 AM   #30094
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
In democracies we guarantee the same rights to everyone. But we reached the paradox that the majority is always arrogant, evil and must be criticized when it's wrong, while minorities deserve a "special protection status", that make any critics against them politically incorrect.
Examples:
"I'm proud to be black": "I'm proud of my origins and I don't care about stupid racists"
Someone from my country annoys me and I insult him: I'm right, he deseves these words
Nicely summed up.

I suspect the people who do that, think in the way they criticize inwardly.

I mean, I think elections are the will of citizens and there should be no quotas. If there is a good and responsible female politician, I don't care about her gender, sexual orientation, nationality, religiosity, I would vote for her. The second factor is the offer: there is usually less female candidates and therefore it is logical the share of success female candidates is smaller.

But if someone criticize the election results because of "wrong" women ratio, I believe they must hate women somewhere inside and this is the way they compensate that. Furthermore, I smell the authoritarian ideas. Democracy is not about quotas or forcing people. Neither about destroying the nature of democracy saying that pure democratic expression of the will of citizens is not democratic.

El Tiburon liked this post
Old January 19th, 2015, 12:38 AM   #30095
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Corsica is Slovenian? The only thing we have in common is this.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2015, 02:11 AM   #30096
John Maynard
BANNED

Likes (Received): 376

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Examples:
However, I think that the biggest problem in these case is often the complete lack of respect on both side, so common personal attacks and even threats, which trucide the debates .

You can add to this different treatment for "freedom of speech and opinion":
- You make jokes on Muslims and draw caricatures: you're a good guy criticizing extremism and defending freedom of expression.
- You make jokes on Jews, especially the Zionists: you're an anti semitic, extremist racist, planning to overthrow the State, and you must be sent to prison and get silenced .

Both statements are quite excessive, though being part of "Freedom of Speech", unlike many may think .
John Maynard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2015, 03:49 AM   #30097
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
When did the UK annex the Faeroes? :-)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2015, 04:09 AM   #30098
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Corsica is Slovenian? The only thing we have in common is this.
You also have multiple small island off the westcoast of France as well as Guernsey and Jersey (UK)
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2015, 09:52 AM   #30099
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post
You also have multiple small island off the westcoast of France as well as Guernsey and Jersey (UK)
I also like the colony of Andorra on the south of Germany

Old January 19th, 2015, 11:14 AM   #30100
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1932

I think both Andorra and Büsingen are now part of Luxemburg .
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways