daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 20th, 2015, 11:40 PM   #30141
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19415

I once had an accident on a French motorway near Bordeaux. There was busy traffic and I couldn't brake fast enough and I hit the car in front of me with a speed difference of about 20-30 km/h. I was driving a 12 year old Toyota Corolla at the time, it was a write-off, but there were no injuries.

It happened only a few months after I got my driver's license, I really did not have enough driving experience to drive that far at the time.

I had a couple of bicycle crashes as well. In my teens I was cycling to school across a priority bike path and a car didn't stop so I ended up flying across the hood. Luckily I walked away from that unscratched, sometimes people die in such accidents.

Another time I was cycling and wanted to brake for a pedestrian crossing but all the sudden the brake line from my hand brake got into the rear wheel, causing the steering to jolt to the left so I made a somersault onto the pavement. I had a bruised wrist, but no long-lasting injuries. That happened last year.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 20th, 2015, 11:55 PM   #30142
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

My most annoying times of driving (it lasted about a month) were when my clutch broke (yes, that can happen). They "repaired" it 4 times, so at the end I really hated driving (I never knew when it would break). At the end they replaced it with a new clutch.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2015, 12:04 AM   #30143
Surel

Likes (Received): 2156

I got to make a hole in a windshield with my arm once. Luckily I was running with both feet in the air, otherwise it would have been much worse than a broken arm I guess. At the first moment I thought that I tripped.

It happened on a divided 2x2 city road with 90 or 80 km/h speed limit. The car was doing around 50 - 60 km/h in the moment it hit me. When it stopped I flew some 5 meters before landing on my back. I was concussions but pretty shaken and was not allowed to get up till the ambulance came. First thing I did was to try to move my toes and fingers. It was completely my fault, because I did not take the pedestrian underpass. I paid fine 500 czk some two weeks later .

Every second person hit at 50 km/h dies, at 60 km/h it is 85 %.

Last edited by Surel; January 21st, 2015 at 12:09 AM.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2015, 12:16 AM   #30144
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

I'm sorry for that but I was thinking that if this data is correct,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
Every second person hit at 50 km/h dies, at 60 km/h it is 85 %.
,then, fines for little speeding above 50 in urban areas are quite justified and not just a way to collect money, like most people think.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2015, 12:21 AM   #30145
Surel

Likes (Received): 2156

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
I'm sorry for that but I was thinking that if this data is correct,

,then, fines for little speeding above 50 in urban areas are quite justified and not just a way to collect money, like most people think.
Thank you. It is already more than 10 years. I am not planning repeating this experience .

You can assume that the car doing 50 km/h is able to brake to some 30 km/h before hitting the pedestrian. But I agree, that 50 km/h is pretty justified speed limit.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2015, 12:55 AM   #30146
John Maynard
BANNED

Likes (Received): 376

Hopefully, I never had a car accident.
I once was in a very frightening situation as a passenger, while we were driving on a German Autobahn at 150 km/h, I was laughing with the driver and he turned his head for a second when suddenly the car in front of us had hit the brakes (I still do not know for what reason, as there was nothing ahead). At the moment we were approaching very fast and very very close , I was prepared for the worst, that a serious crash will follow, and was completely freezed. At the last moment, the driver gave a sharp swerve and went on the emergency lane, we passed the car for a dozen of meters and continued our way without a scratch. I think it was the most terrific situation I had in my life .
The good thing I learned after this incident, is to never get frozen in an emergency situation, were each seconds are critical.

I had once an accident on a motorbike, when the car behind have run into me, while I was on a "give way" intersection with incoming traffic. I somehow managed to jump over the bike and had nothing. Unfortunately for the hug, it was badly damaged .

I had many accidents on a bike, was twice hit by a car, the first time I was bleeding; the second time was more severe, I lost consciousness, went for a week in hospital, and had to have an operation.
John Maynard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2015, 12:57 AM   #30147
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
This guy was lucky! Almost ran over by a sliding semi.
Unfortunate crash

But what I love... the guy taking video... is Russian
Old January 21st, 2015, 01:01 AM   #30148
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
i had the crash with tram once (i was in the tram)
Luckily that can't happen to me here.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2015, 09:47 AM   #30149
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1756

I had two minor rear crashes. Once waiting on the red light, when guy behind me with auto transmission slipped his foot off brake pedal and car accelerated into me, the other one on roundabout, when couple of youngsters with ood vw golf forgot to watch the situation in front where I stood waiting to moment i could accelerate.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2015, 10:15 AM   #30150
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2120

Italian A14, near Pesaro, Christmas Eve 2008: I crashed my car onto a queue of cars stopped for another accident. Speed ~100 km/h. I broke my sternum and a couple of ribs, but the other car's passenger had to be transported to hospital for a whiplash injury.

When I was a kid (maybe 14 or 15) I had an accident while riding my bicycle. A smaller kid crossed the road without looking and I hit him. He was uninjured, but I broke my left hand hitting the ground.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2015, 11:38 AM   #30151
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

Luckily I've never crashed. Yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Luckily that can't happen to me here.
It can happen to me . I wouldn't like to have been in the Zaragoza tram when it killed a woman back in September...
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2015, 12:26 PM   #30152
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
Luckily I've never crashed. Yet.

It can happen to me . I wouldn't like to have been in the Zaragoza tram when it killed a woman back in September...
A friend of mine found himself in a train under which someone committed suicide. 4 hours delay.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old January 21st, 2015, 04:16 PM   #30153
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Likes (Received): 4063

I never had a crash,but when i was 13 years old i hit a rearview mirror on Opel Corsa while i was driving my bike.Happily owner was not there and nobody saw me.When i realise what happened i run the fastest i could.Still remember of that.
Autoputevi kao hobi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2015, 05:08 PM   #30154
riiga

Likes (Received): 126

Never been in an accident, thankfully. I've been very close several times though.
riiga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2015, 08:23 PM   #30155
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

Quote:
A friend of mine found himself in a train under which someone committed suicide. 4 hours delay.
huh, now you have reminded me when cca 10 years ago i started to work in one company, and guy who worked beside me had similar train accident. the difference - he was the one under the train
Old January 21st, 2015, 08:44 PM   #30156
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 897

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
I had two minor rear crashes. Once waiting on the red light, when guy behind me with auto transmission slipped his foot off brake pedal and car accelerated into me,
Someone did that to me too.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2015, 08:59 PM   #30157
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18313

http://uk.businessinsider.com/the-co...rldwide-2015-1

cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2015, 09:06 PM   #30158
italystf

What's with Venezuela, Rwanda, Namibia and Papua New Guinea?
Old January 21st, 2015, 09:53 PM   #30159
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

I wouldn't expect the cost of living in Canada to be significantly different from here.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2015, 09:54 PM   #30160
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

Quote:
What's with Venezuela, Rwanda, Namibia and Papua New Guinea?
those charts probably consider ratio between average wages and costs of life, that's the only logic explanation for that.

Tags
highways, motorways