daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 26th, 2015, 06:16 PM   #30261
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

The NAM model forecasts up to 54 inches (137 cm) of snow on Long Island. Traffic will be completely paralyzed with such amounts. I also read about possible 10 feet snow drifts near Boston.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

keokiracer, Suburbanist liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 26th, 2015, 06:31 PM   #30262
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 780

An hour or so ago, the roofs I can see from my office were covered with snow. Now it's gone.

Wouldn't surprise me if this is a dud, at least here.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2015, 08:03 PM   #30263
Broccolli

Likes (Received): 936

I have never seen Ljubljana from this perspective...

Broccolli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2015, 11:14 PM   #30264
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

4:15 p.m. in Philadelphia and still no accumulation....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old January 27th, 2015, 01:10 AM   #30265
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 894

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
Yes it is. And I would state that it is the first signal related to a welcome I see only in Portuguese (neither French, neither English, neither Arabic)

off-topic... In Spain we have "official language schools" which are a type of language high school to get up to C1 degree of some languages.

Each school decides which languages offers (all of them offer English and French, almost all German and... there is one with 23 languages...)
But half of Portuguese students are in Extremadura.
You will not find many in Galicia due to languages are closed together (they would prefer to learn another one) and other areas have few population near the border
23 languages! That's impressive alright! In the UK I had French in primary school, then in Portugal I had English in middle school and English and French in ssecondary school, then French again back in the UK in secondary school and Sixth-Form (last two years). The school did have Spanish as well but I have it, and the Sixth-Form had German too.

I did pink, purple, beige, light green. My secondary school had recently started doing Sixth-Form but I went to a college because I wanted to do a French A-level.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2015, 04:09 PM   #30266
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

I'll try to understand that when the caffeine's kicked in.

----------

Greetings from my office. I'm the only one in in my department and one of very few in, period.

We have a "grace period for late arrivals until 10:30" - standard policy - which everyone except my boss just takes as meaning come in at 10:30. Since I live four blocks away, don't have to shovel, don't have to clean a car off and don't have to wait for the street to be plowed, and my boss knows it (and remarked to that effect one snow day when she got in before me...), I shoot for my normal time. Surprised she's not in, actually. So I'll play with SSC while the caffeine kicks in.

Oh. We got a whole inch.

:rolleyes:

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old January 27th, 2015, 07:53 PM   #30267
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18300

cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2015, 08:15 PM   #30268
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1750

I am not a smart man. I had an appointment with one responsible person in shopping mall and unfortunately came too early (I came by public transport). As I was wasting my time, I decided to visit an electro shop and buy my girlfriend earphones she once wished for.

I was lurking around the store for a while until I found the best ones. But since I had no bag, the earphones were pink and I did not like to go to appointment with the pink earphones in my hand, a best idea has struck my mind: to conceal it in my jacket (in pocket in particular). To ensure the package would not too big to fit my pocket (and I would eventually end up holding it in my hand after purchase), I had decided to try it immediately as the idea emerged and put it into my pocket. Then I realized what I had done The shop assistant did not look persuaded when I explained what was going on, but the package fitted and I finally bought it.

g.spinoza, Autoputevi kao hobi, Verso liked this post
volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2015, 09:19 PM   #30269
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Likes (Received): 4063

edit

Last edited by Autoputevi kao hobi; January 27th, 2015 at 11:08 PM.
Autoputevi kao hobi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2015, 09:50 PM   #30270
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
I am not a smart man. I had an appointment with one responsible person in shopping mall and unfortunately came too early (I came by public transport). As I was wasting my time, I decided to visit an electro shop and buy my girlfriend earphones she once wished for.

I was lurking around the store for a while until I found the best ones. But since I had no bag, the earphones were pink and I did not like to go to appointment with the pink earphones in my hand, a best idea has struck my mind: to conceal it in my jacket (in pocket in particular). To ensure the package would not too big to fit my pocket (and I would eventually end up holding it in my hand after purchase), I had decided to try it immediately as the idea emerged and put it into my pocket. Then I realized what I had done The shop assistant did not look persuaded when I explained what was going on, but the package fitted and I finally bought it.
was it in AU Park? (I ask beacuse 3 years ago in AU Park I bought - guess what - earphones!)
Old January 27th, 2015, 09:58 PM   #30271
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputevi kao hobi View Post
Picture from today :

Usually i don't wear white shirts(because white is boring),but i had to wear it today because of reasons...
Dude, are you sure you have not misspelled twitter.com in the address toolbar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
was it in AU Park? (I ask beacuse 3 years ago in AU Park I bought - guess what - earphones!)
No it was not. But Aupark is my favourite. We must have had a very special offer for you if it was worth coming here

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2015, 10:00 PM   #30272
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Likes (Received): 4063

[QUOTE=volodaaaa;120996505]Dude, are you sure you have not misspelled twitter.com in the address toolbar? /QUOTE]
No.I just like to post my pictures here.
What's weird with that ?
Don't be offended.
Autoputevi kao hobi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2015, 10:57 PM   #30273
ChrisZwolle
Road user

It's a discussion forum, not social media

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

g.spinoza liked this post
Old January 27th, 2015, 11:25 PM   #30274
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

I'm surprised about how outdated the Italian Wikipedia sometimes is. For example, while reading about a motorway in a foreign country, you may read "it should open by 2011". It's amazing that nobody cared to change it in several years.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2015, 11:31 PM   #30275
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
It's a discussion forum, not social media
Heck, I don't even know what y'all are talking about.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old January 27th, 2015, 11:32 PM   #30276
x-type
con los terroristas

i somehow feel that Wikipedia has reached its top and now it is going down
Old January 27th, 2015, 11:39 PM   #30277
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Well, that's the weakness inherent in its model, I suppose. Once the volunteer contributors begin to get bored....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old January 27th, 2015, 11:40 PM   #30278
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I mostly use the English Wikipedia. The Dutch Wikipedia has a very high quantity of articles, but it is of poor quality, a very large amount of articles are produced by bots or are stubs. In addition, it is often outdated and there is a severe lack of quality control. Just yesterday I found an article called 'economy of the Netherlands' that listed the GDP in euros while the figure was dollars. That's a $ 200 billion error. I've read that the Netherlands has the highest proportion of non-native English speakers that primarely use the English Wikipedia.

In my experience, non-English Wikipedias are most useful when looking for local information. For example the German Wikipedia with articles about something German.
Old January 27th, 2015, 11:58 PM   #30279
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I've read that the Netherlands has the highest proportion of non-native English speakers that primarely use the English Wikipedia.
I really doubt that. It must be some small nation with almost nothing on Wikipedia in its language. There are many more articles in Dutch than in Slovenian, f.e. I rarely have benefit from Slovenian articles, so I usually start with English.

PS: there're way too many one-sentence articles in Slovak (which I often click, thinking it's Slovenian).
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2015, 11:58 PM   #30280
x-type
con los terroristas

I use nonenglish wiki articles mostly as a dictionary when I am looking for good translation of certain words which are in headlines. It is really helpful for that. Otherwise English wiki is no1 definitely.

Tags
highways, motorways