daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 28th, 2015, 12:08 AM   #30281
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_article_depth

The Dutch Wikipedia is the third largest, but only 106th out of 129 in article depth. They say about 60% of all articles are generated by bots. It also scores 91st in edits per article
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 28th, 2015, 12:25 AM   #30282
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1931

Heck, Spanish Wikipedia is far better, ranking 14th out of 129 Wikipedias that have more of 10,000 articles, even if it has about half-a-million articles less than the Dutch one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
In my experience, non-English Wikipedias are most useful when looking for local information. For example the German Wikipedia with articles about something German.
Same for me, except I mostly use... Chinese Wikipedia . It's literally written in Chinese, but with Google Translator you can always have a laugh.

PS: Dutch Wikipedia may be 3rd in number of articles, but still lacks one for the rarest disease of which I've met with a case: the Pearson syndrome. Only five Wikipedias have article about it: English, French, German, Polish and, why not, Spanish!
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.

Last edited by CNGL; January 28th, 2015 at 12:34 AM.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2015, 12:32 AM   #30283
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I mostly use the English Wikipedia. The Dutch Wikipedia has a very high quantity of articles, but it is of poor quality, a very large amount of articles are produced by bots or are stubs. In addition, it is often outdated and there is a severe lack of quality control. Just yesterday I found an article called 'economy of the Netherlands' that listed the GDP in euros while the figure was dollars. That's a $ 200 billion error. I've read that the Netherlands has the highest proportion of non-native English speakers that primarely use the English Wikipedia.

In my experience, non-English Wikipedias are most useful when looking for local information. For example the German Wikipedia with articles about something German.
Well, Italian wikipedia is very good from certain things, for other instead,...
Concerning roads, it's very exhaustive and updated for Italian national roads and motorways. Articles about foreign higways are often incomplete and outdated. A common mistake is the translation of "highway" with "autostrada", even when highway means a main road that isn't divided and access-controlled and so it should be translated with "strada". For example: http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autostrada_dell%27Alaska .
Another issue in Italy is the availability of lists of provincial roads. Each of the 110 provinces has its own classification, but several provinces didn't make the list public.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2015, 12:41 AM   #30284
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

The Dutch Wikipedia seems to be pretty bad then.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2015, 01:07 AM   #30285
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18298

I always use the English first. I find German one pretty good too.
I rarely use Romanian wiki.
cinxxx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2015, 08:49 AM   #30286
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1748

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Well, Italian wikipedia is very good from certain things, for other instead,...
Concerning roads, it's very exhaustive and updated for Italian national roads and motorways. Articles about foreign higways are often incomplete and outdated. A common mistake is the translation of "highway" with "autostrada", even when highway means a main road that isn't divided and access-controlled and so it should be translated with "strada". For example: http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autostrada_dell%27Alaska .
Another issue in Italy is the availability of lists of provincial roads. Each of the 110 provinces has its own classification, but several provinces didn't make the list public.
Since i work at ministry, I realized amusing fact, that the worst cooperation is not between private companies who mind only their own business, but among state owned :-D how come does a province acts like private subject with market confidentality. It has elected management.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2015, 10:05 AM   #30287
bigic
(-_-) -<>- ♂♂

Likes (Received): 136

Serbian Wikipedia is almost useless, even for Serbian topics.
bigic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2015, 10:43 AM   #30288
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
Since i work at ministry, I realized amusing fact, that the worst cooperation is not between private companies who mind only their own business, but among state owned :-D how come does a province acts like private subject with market confidentality. It has elected management.
I don't know. I don't think they want to keep it a secret (there's no reason, also because road numbers appear on signs), probably they just didn't bother to put the list online, thinking nobody would read it. I think one can try to write an e-mail to the provincial administration.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2015, 11:16 AM   #30289
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
The Dutch Wikipedia seems to be pretty bad then.
Yes, if you look at Wikipedias in a national language and in developed countries, the Dutch Wikipedia is the worst of them all.

The Danish Wikipedia has a depth of nearly 8 times that of the Dutch one. The Romanian one 10 times, the French one nearly 20 times and the English one has 100 times more article depth.

However, the English one is de-facto the international Wikipedia. Its depth is twice that of the next best Wikipedia.

The Dutch Wikipedia is said to be driven by people whose only goal was to surpass other Wikipedias in article count. Many articles about major geographic locations (such as cities) are often 50% trivia. It is also very poorly sourced.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Verso liked this post
Old January 28th, 2015, 11:21 AM   #30290
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2102

How do you measure depth in an article?
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2015, 11:23 AM   #30291
ChrisZwolle
Road user

You can find it here:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_article_depth
Old January 28th, 2015, 12:53 PM   #30292
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1748

I am quite disappointed how railway transport in Europe is expensive. Still considering a weekend long trip in Maribor, but trains cost way too much.

Example: Vienna - Maribor by EC train for two adults adds up to 104 €
Vienna - Maribor by car is 47 € including Austrian weekly vignette.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2015, 01:12 PM   #30293
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
I am quite disappointed how railway transport in Europe is expensive. Still considering a weekend long trip in Maribor, but trains cost way too much.

While in Eastern Europe railways are usually considered as an alternative for poor people that can't manage to have a car, so the railways are heavily subsidized and the tickets are cheap, in Western Europe railways make business, especially in long distance services and try to get wealthy passangers by offer them leisure and fast travel for their money.

Verso liked this post
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2015, 01:14 PM   #30294
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:

Italian rail system is somewhat cheaper than in the rest of Europe, but still not competitive: Brescia-Turin is 40€ by train, and roughly the same amount by car, counting tolls and fuel. And the trip time is the same, too.
Old January 28th, 2015, 01:25 PM   #30295
ChrisZwolle
Road user

But the travel time will become much more unfavorable if your destination and/or origin isn't near a railway station. I have colleagues who commute 70 kilometers by public transport. The first 5 km from home to the railway station by bus takes 30 minutes, while the next 65 km station-to-station travel time is about 45 minutes.

That is also why public transport is not competitive with driving. Over 90% of driving are trips where the travel time difference with public transport is very large. In the Netherlands the share of car trips, where the travel time with public transport is not more than 1.5 times longer, is only 2-3%.
Old January 28th, 2015, 01:43 PM   #30296
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

Takes twice as long for me to go home by public transport from here.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2015, 01:54 PM   #30297
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Travel time is not the only thing to take into account. You have also - mainly, I would say - to consider costs.
Old January 28th, 2015, 02:08 PM   #30298
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Indeed, and that's one of the reason why trains are filled to capacity in the Netherlands. A large share of travelers don't have to pay. Not only students, but also many business travelers and commuters whose employer pays the full amount.

I have one colleague who could save nearly 2 hours per day if he went by car instead of bus + train. However, he travels public transport for free, while driving would mean buying a second car and relatively high maintenance cost due to the daily distance.

Another factor is the availability and cost of parking. This is one of the main 'selling points' of public transport. Travel time itself is often not the best thing about public transport (just look at the average commute time in Manhattan).
Old January 28th, 2015, 02:16 PM   #30299
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

This is just another one of those topics that periodically resurface
Old January 28th, 2015, 02:19 PM   #30300
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Travel time is not the only thing to take into account. You have also - mainly, I would say - to consider costs.
Taking into account the fuel just for the trip, not including general maintenance and such, going by car is much cheaper.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways