daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 4th, 2015, 01:49 AM   #30361
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21254

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
Guess where that white stuff is falling now .
I thought Zaragoza was immune to snow...

Sponsored Links
Old February 4th, 2015, 08:52 AM   #30362
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
TransAsia flight ‪#‎GE235‬ with 58 passengers from Taipei to Kinmen crashed into a river less than 3 minutes after departure from Taipei. Flight was flown by an ATR 72-600 with registration B-22816. Construction number 1141. Delivered date 15. Apr 2014.
Maximum speed for flight #GE235 was 116 kts directly after take off. Maximum altitude was 1350 feet.
Latest media reports say that 16 people has been saved from the crashed aircraft.
Playback: http://www.flightradar24.com/data/ai...22816/#56f633b
Aircraft picture: http://www.planespotters.net/Aviatio...to.show…
Crazy close up video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6GxRpNox7c
flightradar24.com
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2015, 11:39 AM   #30363
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I thought Zaragoza was immune to snow...
Except that I'm still in Huesca . Here no snow remains , but down in Zaragoza...
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2015, 01:04 PM   #30364
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1756

Btw. Is cheek kissing at greetings common in your country? Day ago I came across a tourist guide about Slovakia and at the very introduction, there was a conspicuous frame with highlighted text that cheek kissing at greeting is not an act of sexual harassment. Just being curious.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2015, 01:09 PM   #30365
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
Gosh, it barely missed the building....

Old February 4th, 2015, 05:06 PM   #30366
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
Btw. Is cheek kissing at greetings common in your country? Day ago I came across a tourist guide about Slovakia and at the very introduction, there was a conspicuous frame with highlighted text that cheek kissing at greeting is not an act of sexual harassment. Just being curious.
Not that common among people who aren't related, at least in my age cohort (50ish); never, ever among heterosexual men, even if they're related.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2015, 05:23 PM   #30367
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2122

Quote:
Btw. Is cheek kissing at greetings common in your country?
Of course, even between unrelated men, although with various degrees of spread across the country (more common in the South). It is seldom used when you introduce yourself but only in very unformal occasions, and almost never between men.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2015, 07:07 PM   #30368
Surel

Likes (Received): 2156

Quote:
It is quite frequent in the Netherlands. I just never got really used to it. Not the kissing, kissing is ok, but here it has to happen three times . It is common for related people and acquaintances. Not so common for the unrelated people.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2015, 07:20 PM   #30369
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

The French kiss all the time. And in factories and offices nobody starts work before all hands are shaken and female co-workers are kissed.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2015, 09:29 PM   #30370
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Tomorrow and after tomorrow there will be show chaos here and in neighbourhood. All truck traffic is banned on all motorways for the next two days.
I think I'll get stuck again in afternoon traffic&snow chaos like yesterday.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2015, 09:40 PM   #30371
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
The French kiss all the time. And in factories and offices nobody starts work before all hands are shaken and female co-workers are kissed.
Well the first sentence sounds ambiguous

Old February 4th, 2015, 09:52 PM   #30372
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18313

Quote:
It's very common in Romania, between women, women and men.
Rarely between men, usually close relatives.

In Germany it is mostly uncommon, here men shake hands, and women have a special type of hug, somehow from the side, either with women, or with men.
This mostly only applies to acquaintances, with more stranger people they shake hands.

For example, in Romania, if a work colleague, has birthday, you kiss her on the cheek. In Germany you shake her hand.
cinxxx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2015, 10:18 PM   #30373
volodaaaa

Strange. In my country, if a man offer woman a handshake, it is usually considered ridiculous (I had done that several times, and the women was surprised and kind of disappointed). I kissed cheeks even when was introduced to my boss (woman). Fortunately, we do it only twice (kiss per cheek). But movement implying other kind of kiss would be considered as harassment.

Old February 4th, 2015, 10:26 PM   #30374
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18313

I wasn't specific enough, in Romania people kiss also twice, once for each cheek
cinxxx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2015, 11:11 PM   #30375
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

in Spain they love kissing. when I was meeting new people there, everyone wanted to kiss (female - male meetings). i have adopted it fast, but there was one thig that i hardly got used to: they kiss in wrong order - first right, and then left cheek. here we do it left - right.
Old February 4th, 2015, 11:26 PM   #30376
John Maynard
BANNED

Likes (Received): 376

Posting in the Russian road thread

Apparently, criticism and debate is not accepted neither in Russia, nor in Skyscrapercity. As it's impossible to have a sane discussion and disputation on the road related issues ongoing in Russia without having its posts deleted and "censorship" .

Joke that made my day, on the Russian road thread: "We should ban all Poles from all Russian related forums" even though I'm not a Pole .

Road_UK liked this post
John Maynard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2015, 01:18 AM   #30377
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

You were just trolling there, so all those posts were deleted. We don't need this here.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2015, 02:18 AM   #30378
John Maynard
BANNED

Likes (Received): 376

Well, that wasn't my intentions at all. Maybe, by putting too much negative facts in a single post did make to consider me as such . If that's the case, I'm really sorry. But, on the other side, I do have many legitimate question on Russian roads related issues. So, I will expose some of them in an anticipated and reformulated way. Do you think it will be acceptable to ask these questions and have a discussion on the following matters without being considered as a "troll"?:

1) Why does Russian motorways and structures are so expensive - for a quite low GPD per capita country?

2) Russia build now many impressive "state-of-the-art" bridges and short motorways that beats records of expenses (like for the Sochi games). Isn't it more urgent to focus spending on the bad roads that access and surround them, as well as the national main road network that is in a poor condition, instead? Maybe, by building less impressive bridges and motorways?

3) Problem with extremely violent and reckless drivers (you see many impressive videos on youtube, medias, and all over the internet). Also, you may risk you life not only after a crash, but also from acts violence that follows them or even not, just for a minor incident. Furthermore, Russia has very bad road related deaths and serious injuries records: Does Russian authorities and politics are taking this problem seriously, and are they intending to act and how to overcome this in the near future?

4) Many said on this forum that "bureaucracy", environmental laws, oppositions, funding are not an issue in Russia, "unlike the West". So may I ask why Russia do have such a bad road network and very few motorways/expressways?

These where some of the questions I wanted to post earlier. Would there be receivable on the Russian road thread?

Last edited by John Maynard; February 5th, 2015 at 02:23 AM.
John Maynard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2015, 08:51 AM   #30379
volodaaaa

Well the first two questions were unnecessary. It's like asking the deaf man what does he think about the new song from whoever interpret. I guess every one knows the corruption is on a very high level in Russia which obviously bring such consequences (8 lane motorways in PRK, etc.). Pretending you don't know that fact might really sounds provocative, although I agree it is crucial challenge for admins to handle it.

As for the third question - a fact that an on board camcorder is almost mandatory for all cars should be taken account of and thus the chance of an accident being caught on camera is much higher than in other countries (there are even plenty of accidents recorded from more vehicles and thus perspectives). But you really can see on that videos Russians are not good drivers as 70 % of accidents could have been avoided.

The last question might be tricky. If you don't have "bureaucracy" - thus regulations - you don't have to fulfil the requirements. And it might lead to bad quality infrastructure. I still remember when we joined EU - we had some motorways without merging or turning lanes! On some sections, the curves are too sharp because it was built in '80s.

Last edited by volodaaaa; February 5th, 2015 at 08:56 AM.
Old February 5th, 2015, 11:26 AM   #30380
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
I still remember when we joined EU - we had some motorways without merging or turning lanes! On some sections, the curves are too sharp because it was built in '80s.
I think those features are common everywhere on old motorways. In Italy some mountanious motorways built in the 1960s\70s are worse than these.
The most dangerous was probably the A3 Naples - Salerno, completed in 1961 with many improbable exits with very short ramps carved between houses and no accelertion\deceleration ramps, with on-ramps merging on the motorway with a stop sign!
https://www.google.it/maps/@40.73315...hD6tRugaoA!2e0
https://www.google.it/maps/@40.73385...T0wrkZ3Jsw!2e0
https://www.google.it/maps/@40.7374,...uUOhewvtTw!2e0
https://www.google.it/maps/@40.73847...vaNdj_-qeA!2e0
https://www.google.it/maps/@40.67522...CoH2qGBr_w!2e0
https://www.google.it/maps/@40.67603...hy_JuAKslA!2e0
https://www.google.it/maps/@40.68457...b4VrEyNU4Q!2e0
https://www.google.it/maps/@40.68486...-2uuHrQ_PA!2e0
https://www.google.it/maps/@40.68478...aQ7PuArG9w!2e0
And the best...
https://www.google.it/maps/@40.68535...y6j1OE4kjg!2e0
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

Last edited by italystf; February 5th, 2015 at 11:46 AM.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways