daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 13th, 2015, 10:48 PM   #30561
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1936

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
A nice combination to remember is CTRL+ALT+2 or +3 which gives ² and ³.

My keyboard uses the US - international setting. It's also a QWERTY.
Not in mine. Anyway, a replacement for these is ^2 and ^3. My keyboard is also a QWERTY, but that string contains the surname of an infamous Spanish minister (Wert). That explains why I used for quite some time a French keyboard on my smartphone, it doesn't contain Wert as it is AZERTY.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 13th, 2015, 10:53 PM   #30562
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
$ is shift+4, beside being a currency symbol is also used in programming.
Even in Excel. Though by far most people don't go beyond some tables and colors in Excel, barely using its calculation options. It bugs the hell out of me that some colleagues of mine work with Excel for like 15 years and still don't have any knowledge of it beyond the most basic functions. Even things like row height, filtering of even add up cells is too much for them.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

volodaaaa liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2015, 12:49 AM   #30563
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Even in Excel. Though by far most people don't go beyond some tables and colors in Excel, barely using its calculation options. It bugs the hell out of me that some colleagues of mine work with Excel for like 15 years and still don't have any knowledge of it beyond the most basic functions. Even things like row height, filtering of even add up cells is too much for them.
Many university degrees includes a mandatory IT exam, that includes Excel and Access. Ability to use well these software (especially Excel*) is vert useful for many things.
*also spreadsheets included in Open Office or Libre Office are OK.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2015, 10:07 AM   #30564
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3438

Quote:
the same here. i wrote few times in this thread about it already. using Excel tables as demonstrative tables without any calculations simply pisses me off. (not to mention inserting pictures in column A and their descriptions in column B )

about pound/lira sign - I am sure that somewhen in the past I had it somewhere at the right side of keyboard, something like AltGr+L, but now there I have polish Ł (and AltGr+K is ł)
few weeks ago i have almost bought some cool keyboard on Ebay, and in last moment I have realized that keyboard without croatian letters is quite useless to me i have totally forgoten it
Old February 14th, 2015, 10:56 AM   #30565
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
the same here. i wrote few times in this thread about it already. using Excel tables as demonstrative tables without any calculations simply pisses me off.
Why this bother you too much? If one needs to make a simple table, he can use Excel, as long as it doesn't need to be printed (in this case a table within a Word document works way better).
Same with Word. This program allow you to make documents with pictures, tables, different fonts, Word Art, and so on. But if one needs to write a simple document, with only text in font Arial, colour black and size 12, should he avoid to use Word only because it includes more advanced functions?
It's a different case if one thinks that Excel can be used only to make simple tables or Word only to edit simple texts. In this case he's an ignorant.

I remember a professor I had, who shared Power Point slides to his students. I printed around 50 slides to study them, but I didn't read them before. When I started to study I realized that... half of the content was missed in each slide! The professor edited the slides with a too large font, and part of the text lied outside the page! I had to resize the text in each slide and print all again!
A friend of mine had a professor who shared Power Point slides... with white text on a black backgroung! One had either to invert the text\background colour or to empty his printer cartridge.
I mean, you're a professor, how can you not realize these simple things.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old February 14th, 2015, 11:11 AM   #30566
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3438

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Why this bother you too much? If one needs to make a simple table, he can use Excel, as long as it doesn't need to be printed (in this case a table within a Word document works way better).
Same with Word. This program allow you to make documents with pictures, tables, different fonts, Word Art, and so on. But if one needs to write a simple document, with only text in font Arial, colour black and size 12, should he avoid to use Word only because it includes more advanced functions?
It's a different case if one thinks that Excel can be used only to make simple tables or Word only to edit simple texts. In this case he's an ignorant.
well, usually it comes to printing, i forgot to mention that. and people don't have the feeling for the size of paper layout. i get each day few tables which i have to print. just to press "print", archive it and do some work on those tables. but i spend each time cca 10 minutes adjusting those documents to printable or reasonable size. i tried to explain to those who send it, but no success. if it was in Word, then they would see that is runs oft of paper layout, so they would fix it by themselves.
i collect those tables from few different centres. in one of them they have a girl who paid attention on that and used "fit to page" function or something like that. then some genious started to complain that numbers were too small, so she went crazy with that, and started to do as all other do - just make the numbers and letters mess, and there is x-type who fill fix it.
Old February 14th, 2015, 01:42 PM   #30567
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1936

Greetings from a military zone . Don't ask me how I got inside .
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2015, 02:08 PM   #30568
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18302

http://goo.gl/maps/uONgb
cinxxx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2015, 02:30 PM   #30569
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
At least there aren't poles or trees in the middle.
https://www.google.it/maps/@45.78730...bilXKicKyg!2e0
They had been removed since then.
Old February 14th, 2015, 03:24 PM   #30570
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18302

Road_UK, remember him?
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...postcount=4438
cinxxx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2015, 05:46 PM   #30571
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1750

First time in my life I've been in dining car today, while being on a short train trip to Czech republic. Just one thing made me curious: have you ever been in dining car, waiting to your dish to prepare and therefore missed your destination? Because I barely got it done Ate it really quickly.

volodaaaa está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2015, 07:58 PM   #30572
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 4005

Meanwhile on Zrenjanin-Novi Sad road (photo from last year):

Alex_ZR está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2015, 08:01 PM   #30573
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

^and what happens after 10000m?

I was never in dining car, however I travelled once Paris-Cologne in first class with Thalys and the meal was served to normal seats.
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2015, 09:04 PM   #30574
John Maynard
BANNED

Likes (Received): 376

And how was it? I have been quite a lot in a dining car, especially during a period when I was often traveling across Europe by train. It's nice to see the landscape scroll while eating a meal . In the TGV and ICE is even better: the landscape is changing fast. Never missed my destination though.
John Maynard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2015, 09:57 PM   #30575
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Maynard View Post
And how was it? I have been quite a lot in a dining car, especially during a period when I was often traveling across Europe by train. It's nice to see the landscape scroll while eating a meal . In the TGV and ICE is even better: the landscape is changing fast. Never missed my destination though.
It was perfect. However I did not feel comfortable seating against drive direction. Sometimes I felt like I had had vertigo. And the rice kept falling off my fork

Old February 15th, 2015, 06:18 PM   #30576
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

I didn't have problems with rice, TGV rides are butter smooth. It's the only mode of transport I prefer to motorways.
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2015, 07:19 PM   #30577
John Maynard
BANNED

Likes (Received): 376

It's probably because the tracks are not straight in CZ an SK .
I remember a few years ago, when I used to take the IC/Express train in Poland and Czech Republic: it shook everywhere and the wagon was swinging around, despite of driving only 50 km/h on some portions .
John Maynard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2015, 07:56 PM   #30578
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Maynard View Post
It's probably because the tracks are not straight in CZ an SK .
I remember a few years ago, when I used to take the IC/Express train in Poland and Czech Republic: it shook everywhere and the wagon was swinging around, despite of driving only 50 km/h on some portions .
The track itself is in quite a good condition, but the real problem are junctions where it shakes like hell. Furthermore, the track between Bratislava and Brno (especially Kúty - Břeclav) is fairly curvy regarding the speed (this curve is passed at 160kph and you really feel the centrifugal effect.

Old February 15th, 2015, 09:43 PM   #30579
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
I didn't have problems with rice, TGV rides are butter smooth.
Compared to other high speed train services I wouldn't agree. ICE and Italian Pendolino were smoother for me.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2015, 10:00 PM   #30580
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
(this curve is passed at 160kph and you really feel the centrifugal effect.
I disagree with you on this one. I seriously doubt that a train regularly passes there with 160 km/h. I"m not going to calculate the curves's radius, but looking on the map I see that just few hundred meters west there is another, even tighter, curve, followed by a railway station. The second (western) curve plus that station cannot be taken with 160 km/h. Maybe the train goes with that speed on the section south-east of that curve (to Bratislava), but it certainly doesn't take the curve you indicated with 160 km/h.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways