daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 15th, 2015, 10:02 PM   #30581
bogdymol
bogdymod

Romanian road authority (CNADNR) wishes you a happy Valentines Day!

*CNADNR = Compania Națională de Autostrăzi și Drumuri Naționale (National Company for Motorways and National Roads) - they are building and maintaining the main roads in our country
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 15th, 2015, 10:11 PM   #30582
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

That curve has radius of around 850. With maximum cant height that should allow for speeds up to 145 km/h for classical trains (depending on national rules) and possibly up to 160 km/h for tilting trains. Next curve has radius of 400 m, that should allow speeds up to 100 km/h.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2015, 10:14 PM   #30583
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1748

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
That curve has radius of around 850. With maximum cant height that should allow for speeds up to 145 km/h for classical trains (depending on national rules) and possibly up to 160 km/h for tilting trains. Next curve has radius of 400 m, that should allow speeds up to 100 km/h.
It could be slower as the train was approaching station. The second one was passed more slowly. I guess it was 60-80, but the first one was passed really fast.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2015, 10:19 PM   #30584
Surel

Likes (Received): 2154

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
I disagree with you on this one. I seriously doubt that a train regularly passes there with 160 km/h. I"m not going to calculate the curves's radius, but looking on the map I see that just few hundred meters west there is another, even tighter, curve, followed by a railway station. The second (western) curve plus that station cannot be taken with 160 km/h. Maybe the train goes with that speed on the section south-east of that curve (to Bratislava), but it certainly doesn't take the curve you indicated with 160 km/h.
The speed in that curve is limited to 70 or 85 km/h depending on the train. The first curve is then 130 km/h. The station should have 110 km/h trough speed if I am not mistaken.

video 12:40
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiA0hIRwwJA
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2015, 10:19 PM   #30585
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
If there are 2 consecutive curves with different designated speed, it's obvious that the train will go as fast as the "slowest" curve allows. There isn't too much gap between them for the train to either accelerate 100 -> 160 km/h or brake 160 -> 100 km/h (depending on it's direction of travelling), so it's clear that he won't pass with 160 km/h in that area.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2015, 10:34 PM   #30586
Surel

Likes (Received): 2154

Quote:
If there are 2 consecutive curves with different designated speed, it's obvious that the train will go as fast as the "slowest" curve allows. There isn't too much gap between them for the train to either accelerate 100 -> 160 km/h or brake 160 -> 100 km/h (depending on it's direction of travelling), so it's clear that he won't pass with 160 km/h in that area.
If the train arrives at the station from SK it decelerates from 130+ to 130 and then to 70 (85).

If the train leaves the station to SK it accelerates from 0 to 70 (85) and then to 130.

Most of the track should be then 160, but I am not sure of that.

I don't think that there are many trains that ere not stopping in that station as it is a major hub. Railways from 4 directions meet there.

volodaaaa liked this post
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2015, 10:37 PM   #30587
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1748

Quote:
This video is from driver's post, it is accelerated though :-(. But the first curve is not that close to second one. I think there is enough space to slow down or accelerate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nljgx8EVPPQ

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2015, 10:49 PM   #30588
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Romanian road authority (CNADNR) wishes you a happy Valentines Day!

*CNADNR = Compania Națională de Autostrăzi și Drumuri Naționale (National Company for Motorways and National Roads) - they are building and maintaining the main roads in our country
They couldn't say it in Romanian??

(Oh, I see now. It's a joke. Obviously haven't had enough caffeine today.)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2015, 11:16 AM   #30589
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Compared to other high speed train services I wouldn't agree. ICE and Italian Pendolino were smoother for me.
TGV runs faster.
(Just don't mention 300 km/h tracks for ICE because German highspeed network is kinda backward comparing it to French, Spanish and even Italian)
Old February 16th, 2015, 06:38 PM   #30590
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

270 km/h (Paris-Lyon) is not that much faster than 250
About those railway curves I don't have enough data, I just calculated maximum design speeds for known radii. It is possible to have 100 km/h in first curve and 160 in second but it is clear from posted video that real speed is lower.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2015, 07:36 PM   #30591
John Maynard
BANNED

Likes (Received): 376

The nicest place IMHO to have a meal with amazing and incredible views is on board an airplane flying in clear blue skies from the Mediterranean all through the alps to Northern Europe, while comfortably sitting and enjoying .
John Maynard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2015, 09:42 PM   #30592
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

until turbulence strikes or until when at the airport your luggage reminds you about Earth's gravity but a peaceful flight can be enjoyable.
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2015, 09:55 PM   #30593
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18299

I am always afraid when flying, I feel every turbulence.
But last year I flew more times then maybe last 5 years combined
Long live Wizz and Ryan
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2015, 11:20 PM   #30594
bigic
(-_-) -<>- ♂♂

Likes (Received): 136

A popular Serbian pop and folk singer sings in... Chinese?!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAFqfUH0_Ho
But this is not the first time a Serbian singer has attempted to sing in a language other than Serbian and English with hilarious results:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5vkHj6suPA (0:13)
bigic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2015, 01:23 AM   #30595
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 893

They replaced the sign at the station here and they got a bit carried away with the bilingualism:

piotr71 liked this post
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2015, 01:29 AM   #30596
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

In Canada such is popular, like "information / information"

But I am more curious about the "waste pedestrians"
Old February 17th, 2015, 01:32 AM   #30597
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

I remember couple years ago some people and newspapers in towns that had been fitted with Occitan signs in France were actually complaining about, or even removing, some of the signs because Occitan had never been a local language there.
Old February 17th, 2015, 04:15 AM   #30598
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
They replaced the sign at the station here and they got a bit carried away with the bilingualism:

Just wait till they get to Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2015, 09:33 AM   #30599
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I remember couple years ago some people and newspapers in towns that had been fitted with Occitan signs in France were actually complaining about, or even removing, some of the signs because Occitan had never been a local language there.
I remember the same with Breton and the infamous Saozon-Sevigneg
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2015, 01:22 PM   #30600
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
There were complains once in Trieste, when they installed a temporary sign (it said "road closed" or something like that) written both in Italian and Slovenian, because Trieste city is not bilingual, so the sign had to be in Italian only!
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways