daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 23rd, 2015, 01:06 AM   #30681
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
No, forget countries

people are free to use units

degrees Reaumur for all!
Interesting, I've never heard of this scale before. Aparently, it was widely used in Europe till the mid-1800, when it began being replaced by Celsius.
According to Wikipedia
Quote:
Its only modern use is in the measuring of milk temperature in cheese production. It is used in some Italian dairies making Parmigiano-Reggiano and Grana Padano cheeses and in Swiss Alp cheeses. In the Netherlands the Réaumur thermometer is used when cooking sugar syrup for desserts and sweets.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 23rd, 2015, 01:37 AM   #30682
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Celsius is still dumb though... you make a scale where the actual zero is minus 273 degrees... it is nonsense.
Old February 23rd, 2015, 02:25 AM   #30683
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Celsius is still dumb though... you make a scale where the actual zero is minus 273 degrees... it is nonsense.
It's probably because the system was intended to be used for everyday temperatures, rather for extremely low ones that exist only in physics. And I'm not even sure if the idea of "absolute zero" already existed when the Celsius scale was introduced. In fact, Kelvin scale is usually adopted in today's scientific speech.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2015, 08:28 AM   #30684
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

I'm sure there's a part of 'rest of the world' which writes dates on an inverted pyramid (Year-month-day) style .
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2015, 10:32 AM   #30685
MattiG

Likes (Received): 619

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
It's probably because the system was intended to be used for everyday temperatures, rather for extremely low ones that exist only in physics. And I'm not even sure if the idea of "absolute zero" already existed when the Celsius scale was introduced. In fact, Kelvin scale is usually adopted in today's scientific speech.
The Celcius scale has been in use since 1744. Lord Kelvin published his paper proposing an absolute temperature scale in 1848. The Kelvin scale uses one degree Celcius as an increment. Thus, the Kelvin scale is based on the Celcius scale, not vice versa.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2015, 11:04 AM   #30686
Surel

Likes (Received): 2156

Quote:
I see, you have been already given the explanation for it.

We are still quite anthropocentric in our perception of the world and I don't think that it is all that wrong actually as long as it stays mathematically simple and practical. I am not so sure that it would be that handy to have different apparatus for the science world and for the daily use when you can use the same while keeping it efficient.

It makes perfect sense making the most important point on the scale the point when water turns into ice and scale the measure towards the point when water turns into vapor given the atmospheric pressure. As our bodies are more than 70 % water those are rather critical temperatures for us.

The time follows quite similar pattern here. Years, days, months, are both quite geocentric and anthropocentric measures.

With other measures we were able to go into more abstraction and we thus left the pounds and yards, feet and inches. Notice also that the seconds are split in 10ths and 100ths etc as they are rather abstract concepts and they make computations easier.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2015, 11:16 AM   #30687
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

American dates make perfect sense to me. Try to name few documents and name them after dates when they've been done. American way will arrange them in alphanumerical order: 150118, 150130, 150218, 150222. European way will arrange it messy: 180115, 180215, 220215, 300115.

Also about temperature - Kelvin system seems to be the most logical one imo.
Old February 23rd, 2015, 01:25 PM   #30688
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1756

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
American dates make perfect sense to me. Try to name few documents and name them after dates when they've been done. American way will arrange them in alphanumerical order: 150118, 150130, 150218, 150222. European way will arrange it messy: 180115, 180215, 220215, 300115.
AFAIK American style is month/day/year, which completely lacks logic. However, despite logic in EU style, it is completely useless and needs to be backed up. The best format would be year/month/day.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2015, 01:26 PM   #30689
Surel

Likes (Received): 2156

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post

Also about temperature - Kelvin system seems to be the most logical one imo.
Hmm? US MMDDYYYY dates:

It doesn't bring any advantage compared with DDMMYYYY. If you want to name documents to be sorted by time, you need to begin with the year, then month and then days. It is quite standard to use YYYY-MM-DD.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2015, 02:10 PM   #30690
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 4016

Hungarians use year/month/day format, so if the date is written in European way, they put a note "day/month/year", especially at food package.
Alex_ZR está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2015, 04:35 PM   #30691
PovilD
Naudotojas

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_ZR View Post
Hungarians use year/month/day format, so if the date is written in European way, they put a note "day/month/year", especially at food package.
Lithuania, along with Hungary, are the only countries in Europe that use such format.

World map of the countries with the different formats
PovilD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2015, 05:47 PM   #30692
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
How come this post who started it hasn't been deleted but everything else has?

Penn's Woods liked this post
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2015, 05:49 PM   #30693
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
AFAIK American style is month/day/year, which completely lacks logic. However, despite logic in EU style, it is completely useless and needs to be backed up. The best format would be year/month/day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
Hmm? US MMDDYYYY dates:

It doesn't bring any advantage compared with DDMMYYYY. If you want to name documents to be sorted by time, you need to begin with the year, then month and then days. It is quite standard to use YYYY-MM-DD.
oh, crap. in that case - Penn's, I'm really sorry
Old February 23rd, 2015, 07:04 PM   #30694
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Apparently this sort of crap* is more acceptable than saying it's stupid is. Duly noted.

*I mean, of course, the original post.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2015, 07:23 PM   #30695
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21254

I'm going to the USA this summer, and I'm now in the process of booking a rental car. It is tricky the tradeoff between larger cars and the extra fuel they will use. There is a special sale for hybrid cars but I think hybrids are not that economical for long road drives.
Old February 23rd, 2015, 07:46 PM   #30696
Dalla contea
Italian User

Likes (Received): 4276

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
do you need an explanation?
Dalla contea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2015, 08:01 PM   #30697
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1756

Can we go back to the off-topic, please?

bogdymol, Verso liked this post
volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2015, 08:38 PM   #30698
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalla contea View Post
do you need an explanation?
Yes.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2015, 08:42 PM   #30699
bogdymol
bogdymod

Explanations on private. Whoever continues this here gets a brig.

Back on topic please (how much on topic this thread can be...).
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog

Verso liked this post
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2015, 08:51 PM   #30700
bogdymol
bogdymod

Aaaaaaand next, clean, page...
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways