daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 26th, 2015, 01:17 AM   #30781
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
There is no such plan from the European Central Bank:

https://www.ecb.europa.eu/euro/bankn.../index.en.html
Aparently the cash=money laundering paranoia is unknown outside Italy, if the ECB doesn't take it into consideration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
They had that before, and with exchange rates. There could be some degree of standardization (so that, say, blue always means 5 euros, red 10...) and the notes could be usable anywhere. Don't the coins work that way now?

Just a stray thought...none of my business.
Yes, each of the Euro countries (including San Marino, Vatican, Monaco and Andorra) mints its coin with his own design, that are of course valid in the whole Eurozone. Additionally, every country issues its 2€ commemorative coins, usually to celebrate an anniversary of something. The side with the value is the same in every country (including commeoratives), although coins issued after 2007 have a different map that includes new EU countries.
Notes are aparently (*) the same in every country. I'm not sure why, but I can suppose it's because it would be more difficult to spot fake notes if there were different designs. And vending machines would need to be programmed to recognize all designs.
(*) one can know from what country is a note by its serial number.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 26th, 2015, 01:25 AM   #30782
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18299

cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2015, 10:21 AM   #30783
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
500 EUR max note is just OK,
No, it's not. They're useless: nobody uses them and many shops refuse to accept them.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2015, 10:57 AM   #30784
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
US largest note in circulation is 100 USD

Previously were larger notes but were officially discontinued and withdrawn... but they are still legal tender and some exist, but oh, oh so rare

But especially with inflation I think 100 USD -level value is too low. 500 EUR max note is just OK, or 1000 USD is a good mark.
I have been living for more than two years in Germany. Since then I have only once had some 100€ notes, and I have literally never seen any 200 or 500€ note.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2015, 11:08 AM   #30785
VITORIA MAN
on skycrapercity

Likes (Received): 14404

here in spain many 500 eur notes are seen..black money i suppose
VITORIA MAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2015, 11:23 AM   #30786
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18299

When I bought my first car in Germany, I went to the bank to get cash, and I was asked if I want big notes, I said yes.
I mostly got 500€ and 200€ bills. When I then sold it I also got 500€ notes. But I think these were the only times I have seen them
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2015, 01:19 PM   #30787
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1748

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
*Artist*

volodaaaa está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2015, 01:33 PM   #30788
Surel

Likes (Received): 2154

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
In Norway those are sold without the active ingredients and under the name Repsils.

Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2015, 01:46 PM   #30789
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

Here in the Netherlands, it is virtually impossible to use denominations above € 100 on shops and stores.

Actually, I had a colleague who came from abroad, brought some couple thousand Euro on high denomination bills, and the only way she could manage to use her money was wait till her account was opened and she deposited the money. Before that, she had to go to the bank and beg them to change 4x € 500 bills into € 50 ones.

------------------

I keep going on my cashless experiment I'm part of. Last 28 months, I withdrew less than € 200 from my account. I paid everything else with cards, transfers etc.

g.spinoza liked this post
Suburbanist está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2015, 02:13 PM   #30790
John Maynard
BANNED

Likes (Received): 376

The 1000 Swiss francs note popularity is in grow, as they they share now 60% of the entire value of all Swiss banknotes in circulation.
Cash payment is quite popular in Switzerland, and it's not unusual to see people paying their bills with 1000 CHF notes in the post office, or withdrawing them from an ATM, or buying expensive stuff with them, though they are not accepted everywhere, especially in kiosks, small shops, and small retailers (well, if you buy cheap things). Otherwise, you can generally pay with them on nationwide general stores (like Migros or Coop) or bigger shops and malls.
Anyway, the 200 CHF note is definitely more popular on a daily basis, and you often see them around, even in kiosks (but the saleswoman often growls ):
John Maynard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2015, 03:18 PM   #30791
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

An offtopic question:
I'm considering buying a new used car with a more powerful gasoline motor (like 200 HP). As there is a substantially lower mileage with bigger engines I'm planning to modify engine with LPG installation as I make around 20.000 km per year. Anyone here has any experience? How is with that in your country?

I don't want a car with diesel engine if anybody asks.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2015, 03:26 PM   #30792
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

My dad drives a 2002 BMW 5-series 3.0 L with 226 horsepower that runs on LPG. He says it drives very smooth and no noticable loss of power, and fuel consumption is only slightly higher than petrol. The only downside is the fact that you will have to refuel more often.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2015, 04:42 PM   #30793
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1748

I am just curious: What body (ministry, institution) is responsible for traffic law proposals in your country?

volodaaaa está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2015, 04:44 PM   #30794
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2104

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minist...rt_%28Italy%29
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2015, 05:07 PM   #30795
Nordic20T

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
An offtopic question:
Anyone here has any experience?
You can take a look on the Spritmonitor.de database for information about the fuel consumption of many different car models.
Nordic20T no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2015, 05:33 PM   #30796
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
An offtopic question:
I'm considering buying a new used car with a more powerful gasoline motor (like 200 HP). As there is a substantially lower mileage with bigger engines I'm planning to modify engine with LPG installation as I make around 20.000 km per year. Anyone here has any experience? How is with that in your country?

I don't want a car with diesel engine if anybody asks.
I used to drive a 1.4 L (94 hp) Chevrolet Aveo, bought brand new. At 30k km I mounted LPG on it and drove up to 100k km just on LPG with no problems at all (just the regular service done on time). I drove it on LPG from Romania to Austria (Firenze) or even to France (Rennes). The conversion pays of pretty quickly. The drawback is that you have to refill more often and that's quite annoying on longer trips as you also have to search for a station that has LPG (not all of them have).

A useful link for you with (probably) all LPG stations in Europe: http://www.mylpg.eu/stations/

In December I bought a diesel Ford Focus, but the Chevy is still in the family (driven by my father).
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2015, 05:35 PM   #30797
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
I am just curious: What body (ministry, institution) is responsible for traffic law proposals in your country?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minist...rt_%28Spain%29
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.

volodaaaa liked this post
CNGL está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2015, 05:37 PM   #30798
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
I used to drive a 1.4 L (94 hp) Chevrolet Aveo, bought brand new. At 30k km I mounted LPG on it and drove up to 100k km just on LPG with no problems at all (just the regular service done on time). I drove it on LPG from Romania to Austria (Firenze) or even to France (Rennes). The conversion pays of pretty quickly. The drawback is that you have to refill more often and that's quite annoying on longer trips as you also have to search for a station that has LPG (not all of them have).

In December I bought a diesel Ford Focus, but the Chevy is still in the family (driven by my father).
I don't know about all countries, but in some of them it is common to have restrictions on underground car parking for LPG cars, imposed by garage owners/operators, isn't it?
Old February 26th, 2015, 05:42 PM   #30799
bogdymol
bogdymod

Yes, there are some restrictions at underground or multi-story parking garages. To be honest with you, I just switched my car on running on petrol before I entered such a garage and I never had problems. Nobody could tell that my car has a LPG installation as you couldn't see anything from the outside
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2015, 05:44 PM   #30800
Suburbanist
on the road

Isn't there another problem with the intake valves, which differ between countries?

Tags
highways, motorways