daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 26th, 2015, 05:47 PM   #30801
bogdymol
bogdymod

There are 4 types. The one that I had on my car (installed in Romania) was the same as in Hungary, Austria, Slovenia, Italy, Luxembourg and France (countries where I've driven on LPG). Only in Germany there was a different adapter, but they had an adapter-for-adapter at the station so I could refill.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 27th, 2015, 12:16 AM   #30802
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

I know that it's illegal to drive a LPG car in Finland, I don't know if there are limitations in other countries.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2015, 12:22 AM   #30803
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1756

This driver from Nitra, Slovakia is the real "hero": Weeks after he had been caught while driving drunk and his DL was confiscated, he parked his car at bus stop and police gave him a blocking device. Instead of calling the police and paying the fine, he decided to saw the device up and was caught red handed by officers. Besides another fine for damaging the property of police and driving without DL, the officers realized his car is lacking front licence plate and he did not know where he had lost it. He just kept repeating he did not have enough money and that he was rushing. Police discovered he was drunk again.

Furthermore, the officers found out his car had not passed the regular inspection of technical condition yet. As they were looking up for the missing plate, they discovered he had not been paying for the compulsory insurance as well and then found out the plate had been found at scene of an accident two days before, the guilty one driver ran away from - and it is not coincidence that the guilty one was our drunk moron driver without licence plate His plates were detained and he has been given the driving prohibition for 36 months.

It is nice, but he was caught yesterday with the same car equipped by licence plates of another car He was not able to explain where and how he got the plates from

Sometimes we are catching up with Only in Russia site.

cinxxx, Attus liked this post
volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2015, 12:44 AM   #30804
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
I know that it's illegal to drive a LPG car in Finland
What would be the reason for that?
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2015, 09:00 AM   #30805
SeanT
DK/H

Likes (Received): 63

The question for one million in Denmark was...which car brand is the oldest? Opel Astra vs Fiat Punto
SeanT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2015, 09:28 AM   #30806
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1756

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanT View Post
The question for one million in Denmark was...which car brand is the oldest? Opel Astra vs Fiat Punto
Brand or model? It could be tricky.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2015, 11:03 AM   #30807
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2122

Without looking at Wikipedia, I would have said Astra.

EDIT: And I would have won! Astra 1991, Punto 1993
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2015, 11:29 AM   #30808
MattiG

Likes (Received): 619

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
What would be the reason for that?
Three main reasons: tax, tax, and tax.

According to the basic rule, benzine and diesel oil are subject to excise taxes. The EU decides on the minimum level on the excise tax for those fuels used in vehicles. This is simple.

Diesel oil and light fuel oil are chemically equivalent. The light fuel oil excise tax level is kept lower in Finland, because it is used for heating. As light fuel oil is available everywhere, there is a wide-spread temptation to use it in vehicles, too. In order to make it very non-attractive, Finland introduced an extreme-level penalty-like tax for those caught using light fuel oil in their vehicles instead of diesel oil.

In the early 2000's, the EU commission insisted than Finland must abandon the tax-only approach, and to explicitly forbid using those fuels which are taxed less than EU-declared minimums. That happened.

In the same time, Finland wanted to create a similar legislation related to gas fuels, mainly CNG, bio gas, and LNG.

Due to environmental reasons, CNG and bio gas are exempt from extra taxes, but the penalty-tax applies to LPG. The EU statement about forbidding from using the less-taxed fuel were subject to benzine and diesel oil only, but Finland decided to forbid everything, including the LPG. This reflects the Finnish authorities' common tendency to interpret the EU-level regulations more strictly than intended.

However, it is an academic question whether LPG is forbidden or not. The tax from using it in a passenger car is 300 euros per day, for maximum 20 days. The message is crystal clear: Keep away!

The official reasons of making CNG free of penalty tax are environment-related while not water-proof. The real reason is that CNG is a state-driven business, and LPG is not.

It is good to note that Finland and EU are in an endless war in every aspect related to vehicle taxes. I am quite sure this LPG-related law will collapse in some day.

Suburbanist liked this post
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2015, 02:00 PM   #30809
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

EU? As far as I know every country decides its own tax imposed on vehicles as it varies per country.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2015, 02:17 PM   #30810
MattiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
EU? As far as I know every country decides its own tax imposed on vehicles as it varies per country.
No. For example, the minimum fuel excise tax level is set by the EU and legislation of the member states must implement the Energy Tax Directive.

Many features of the Finnish vehicle sales tax have been seen being in conflict with the EU-level legislation.
Old February 27th, 2015, 02:18 PM   #30811
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Probably the EU gives some broad guidelines and the details are regulated by single states.

EDIT: MattiG already explained.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old February 27th, 2015, 02:20 PM   #30812
italystf

This girl tried to overtake a bus, but it didn't end well. Happened in Mestre, Italy, a couple of days ago:

Old February 27th, 2015, 02:20 PM   #30813
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
No. For example, the minimum fuel excise tax level is set by the EU and legislation of the member states must implement the Energy Tax Directive.

Many features of the Finnish vehicle sales tax have been seen being in conflict with the EU-level legislation.
Take a look at this PDF.
Old February 27th, 2015, 02:23 PM   #30814
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21255

Is agricultural vehicular diesel available in your country? Usually using a colorant to make it stand out if a policeman ever inspects the car?
Old February 27th, 2015, 02:25 PM   #30815
Road_UK
BANNED

As far as I know they allow red diesel on tractors...
Old February 27th, 2015, 02:29 PM   #30816
italystf

Quote:
Last night at around 1 a.m. I was driving in downtown Udine, when I saw an accident involving a police car and another police car nearby, all in the middle of a busy crossroad.
Today's news: The police was chasing a gypsy guy, researched for many thefts, that refused to stop. So, he decided to deliberately crash against the police car, injuring the two occupants. He had his 13 y.o. kid in the car with him. The car was full of tools used to break locks. The car was also uninsured.
http://messaggeroveneto.gelocal.it/u...ade-1.10914346
This guy was sentenced 1 year of prison (that we don't know if he will ever serve) and 2 years without driving license. But currently, is free, with the only requirement to sign a paper at the local police station three times a day. Nothing prevents him, in his free time, to continue to steal... Our justice really sucks!
He injured two cops, was driving badly drunk and without insurance, had tools to break locks in his car and refused to take the alchool test. One needs to kill someone to go to jail here?
Old February 27th, 2015, 02:31 PM   #30817
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Is agricultural vehicular diesel available in your country? Usually using a colorant to make it stand out if a policeman ever inspects the car?
In Italy we use the colorant to mark low-taxed agricultural fuel, but I've never ever heard of anyone who had the fuel tank inspected by the police. Of course they can check if they have a suspect.
Old February 27th, 2015, 02:48 PM   #30818
MattiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Yes. The legislation contains a lot of exemptions related to agriculture, building sites etc. The coloring method is in use.

The basic issue is that the same stuff is wanted to be subject to high taxes in vehicles and to lower ones for heating and agriculture. Due to the geographic reasons, the heating has much weight in this discussion: About 30 per cent of the total energy consumption is spend for heating.

Last edited by MattiG; February 27th, 2015 at 04:00 PM. Reason: typo
Old February 27th, 2015, 03:06 PM   #30819
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 4016

Quote:
This girl tried to overtake a bus, but it didn't end well. Happened in Mestre, Italy, a couple of days ago:

So called "bus sandwich".

Meanwhile in Belgrade, a man proves that car can go without one wheel:

volodaaaa, Verso, Jasper90 liked this post
Alex_ZR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2015, 03:37 PM   #30820
MattiG

Quote:

Just to clarify: Which one of the buses is the one she tried to overtake?

Tags
highways, motorways