daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 9th, 2015, 07:55 AM   #30981
MattiG

Likes (Received): 619

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I think EU should standardize road sign fonts and colors.
Why?
MattiG está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 9th, 2015, 01:30 PM   #30982
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Meanwhile in Ruskraine...
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2015, 02:57 PM   #30983
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Quote:
I think ...
You think too much.

Attus, Penn's Woods, riiga liked this post

Last edited by Verso; March 9th, 2015 at 03:04 PM.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2015, 03:13 PM   #30984
VITORIA MAN
on skycrapercity

Likes (Received): 14404

VITORIA MAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2015, 05:06 PM   #30985
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2122

Way to break someone's ankle (and get sued).

A friend of mine was a victim of the "knockout game" while in England. He was punched in the face and got his nose broken, while another guy filmed with his phone.
My friend didn't press charges, but he was so scared he fled England never to come back.
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2015, 06:20 PM   #30986
Highway89

Likes (Received): 1197

Quote:
I think EU should standardize road sign fonts and colors. It should also adopt uniform rules of circulation and uniform pictorial signs based on the Vienna Convention of 1928, making it all uniforms across EU. Not immediately, but as a plan for, say, 2025. One political bloc, one single road signage.
That brings to my mind another subject about which I've lately been curious: The different standards for lane/shoulder widths among countries. For instance, in Spain a tipical motorway section is 1+3.5+3.5+2.5 m with a 10 m wide median, while in the US it's 1.2+3.65+3.65+3 m with an 11 m median.

I found a table comparing lane widths here: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...postcount=9598

It's curious how many differences exist even among European countries.
Highway89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2015, 07:08 PM   #30987
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1756

Good morning.... There has never been a thing like United States of Europe.

x-type, italystf, Penn's Woods liked this post
volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2015, 12:34 AM   #30988
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
Even within the United States of America, individual states have large autonomy on matters like traffic rules, road classification, speed limits, license plates,...
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2015, 12:48 AM   #30989
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18313

24 of the funniest Romanian expressions

Quote:
1. A Romanian is not “surprised”…his “face has fallen off” (I-a picat fața).

2. A Romanian didn’t just “do so much with so little” … he “made a whip out of shit” (Face din rahat bici).

3. A Romanian won’t “lose temper” … his “mustard will jump off” (Îi sare muștarul).

4. A Romanian hasn’t just “screwed up” … he “threw his boogers in the beans” (A dat cu mucii-n fasole).

5. A Romanian won’t “try to fool you” … he’ll “throw vapours at you” (Te aburește).

6. Nor will he “lie to you” … he’ll “sell you doughnuts” (Vinde gogoși).

7. A Romanian doesn’t “suddenly get it” … his “coin drops” (Îi pică fisa).

8. A Romanian is not “extremely tired” … he’s “cabbage.” His life is not “chaotic” … it’s “cabbage.” And his room is not “a complete mess” … it’s also “cabbage” (Varză).

9. A Romanian doesn’t simply deem an effort “useless” … he says it’s “a rub on a wooden leg” (Frecție la picior de lemn).

10. You don’t “drive a Romanian nuts” … you “take him out of his watermelons” (Îl scoți din pepeni).

11. A Romanian will not have “the impostor syndrome” … he will “feel with the fly on his cap” (Se simte cu musca pe căciulă).

12. In Romania, things are not “far away” … they’re “at the devil’s mother” (La mama naibii).

13. A Romanian is not “crazy” … he’s “gone on a raft” (Dus cu pluta).

14. A Romanian won’t tell you to stop “wasting time” … he’ll tell you to stop “rubbing the mint” (Freca menta).

15. A Romanian won’t say that something is “cool” … he’ll say it’s “concrete” (Beton).

16. A Romanian is not “nervous” … he “has a carrot (in his ass)” (Are un morcov în fund).

17. A Romanian doesn’t just “keep quiet” … he “keeps quiet like the pig in a corn field” (Tace ca porcu-n păpușoi).

18. As a Romanian you don’t “fool yourself” … you “get drunk with cold water” (Te îmbeți cu apă rece).

19. A Romanian is not “stupid” … he’s “a Venice bush” (Tufă de Veneția).

20. A Romanian won’t “call it quits” … he’ll “stick his feet in” (Își bagă picioarele).

21. A Romanian hasn’t been “scammed” … he “took a spike” (A luat țeapă).

22. A Romanian is not “a drunkard” … he’s “a blotting paper” (Sugativă).

23. A Romanian will not look at you “confused” … he will “stare like the crow at the bone” (Ca cioara la ciolan).

24. A Romanian doesn’t have “unusual ideas” … he has “a curly mind” (Minte creață).
cinxxx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2015, 12:03 PM   #30990
Highway89

Likes (Received): 1197

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
?

I never stated otherwise.

I just find it curious that there can be almost 1 m of difference between the Netherlands and the UK or France. I'm not claiming for a standarisation of lane widths whatsoever. Each country should know what's better for them.
Highway89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2015, 04:54 PM   #30991
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19422

Romanians can be funny indeed:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-31817445

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

italystf liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2015, 05:21 PM   #30992
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

It seems France and Germany switched lands .
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2015, 05:26 PM   #30993
MattiG

Likes (Received): 619

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Romanians can be funny indeed:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-31817445
That blue-yellow-red fish resembles Nemo, son of Martin. The black-red-yellow one is harder to recognize. It might be a pork chop instead of a fish. Thus, the gentlemen might be planning for leaving for a dinner.
MattiG está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2015, 09:11 PM   #30994
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway89 View Post
?

I never stated otherwise.

I just find it curious that there can be almost 1 m of difference between the Netherlands and the UK or France. I'm not claiming for a standarisation of lane widths whatsoever. Each country should know what's better for them.
So why it is so surprising? Europe (not only EU) is still a pile of sovereign countries. The cooperation is just very recent. But some countries (especially those split ones) has common baseline (e.g. Austria-Germany, exCzechoslovakia, exYugoslavia).

We have been just figuring out the issue of dedicated lanes in Slovakia at Ministry:

there are two different traffic signs:
- the sign called "dedicated lane" that sets the start/end of section and which lane is dedicated, but can't set the lane alignment prior intersection (the sign is not defined to that purpose).

- the sign called "lane alignment prior intersection" which define the number of turning lanes, thru lanes, their directions and also restrictions in particular lanes.

But the crucial problem is: how to define dedicated lane over intersection. We have not had defined this sign standing alone:
(from Germany)

Planners in our cities have struggled it differently. In most cases they've posted the "lane alignment prior intersection" sign and put there the "no entry" restriction with additional sign "except PT".
Like HERE.
The solution is wrong though. Non-PT drivers are able to use dedicated lane in case of turning and merging, but drivers must not entry the lane with restriction if they don't meet the exception. (dedicated lane is not lane with restriction and vice-versa)
In same cases they put "dedicated lane" sign that determines the lane alignment as well (which is wrong, because the sign is not designated to do that).
Like HERE

But in Kosice, they've made it to another level This deserves no commentary - CLICK Perhaps it is worth posting in Strange road signs.

Back to point: We had not understood why the hell we can't have just one sign (e.g. the lane alignment sign) that is able to determine dedicated lane as well. So made a little investigation and figure out the original "dedicated" lanes were developed under different conditions from old Czechoslovak legislative and the dichotomy is typical only for Czech republic and Slovakia in this case. The same goes for motorway in inhabited area general speed limit.

Sorry for the long post.

(P.S. our proposal to replace the "white" sign and the possibility of use of the bus symbol on the latter (blue) one to define dedicated lane in/outside intersection is just pending at Ministry of Interior Affairs which is responsible for traffic rules)

Old March 10th, 2015, 09:17 PM   #30995
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
That blue-yellow-red fish resembles Nemo, son of Martin. The black-red-yellow one is harder to recognize. It might be a pork chop instead of a fish. Thus, the gentlemen might be planning for leaving for a dinner.
The Romania is rather Dori fish. But Germany/France looks like badly cooked bacon, burned on one side with raw fat on other.

Old March 10th, 2015, 09:41 PM   #30996
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18313

cinxxx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2015, 09:43 PM   #30997
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
Single word: vodka

Surel liked this post
Old March 10th, 2015, 09:59 PM   #30998
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

About road signs: there is a very important aspect here. Inside the EU driving licenses valid without any resctrictions (at least those of category B, which means car). My Hungarian license was even changed to a German one without any further question.
For such a regulation it is obviously very important that road signs and traffic rules must be the same or at least very similar in every countries. Imagine that Germany had significantly different rules, in this case I could have a German license so that no one ever asked if I ever heard about traffic rules!
That's the reason why I can't understand how can those diamond shaped Irish signs be accepted.
Slight differences, different font faces, minor graphical differences are OK. If you come from Slovakia and you have never in your life seen yellow road signs but you drive to Poland and you see a yellow and red yield, you wll understand immediately what it means. If a sign abroad has slightliy different graphics, you will recognize them even so. It's alright for me and I can't see any reason for unify them. And there are usually large signs at border stations about specific rules (although at lot of sencodary crossings which were opened after the Schengen treaty, you won't find them) so that you can drive safely all across the EU.
Except for Ireland...

Suburbanist, italystf liked this post
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2015, 10:19 PM   #30999
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
About road signs: there is a very important aspect here. Inside the EU driving licenses valid without any resctrictions (at least those of category B, which means car). My Hungarian license was even changed to a German one without any further question.
For such a regulation it is obviously very important that road signs and traffic rules must be the same or at least very similar in every countries. Imagine that Germany had significantly different rules, in this case I could have a German license so that no one ever asked if I ever heard about traffic rules!
That's the reason why I can't understand how can those diamond shaped Irish signs be accepted.
Slight differences, different font faces, minor graphical differences are OK. If you come from Slovakia and you have never in your life seen yellow road signs but you drive to Poland and you see a yellow and red yield, you wll understand immediately what it means. If a sign abroad has slightliy different graphics, you will recognize them even so. It's alright for me and I can't see any reason for unify them. And there are usually large signs at border stations about specific rules (although at lot of sencodary crossings which were opened after the Schengen treaty, you won't find them) so that you can drive safely all across the EU.
Except for Ireland...
Ireland is mystery to me too... But priority rules (except compulsory equipment and general speed limits) are basically the same in all Eu countries

italystf liked this post
Old March 11th, 2015, 12:37 AM   #31000
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Agree with the posts above. No need to make signs equal in all countries (with unnecessary huge costs), they should only be mutually intellegible. Anyone with a normal intelligence can recognize a sign even if the font or style is slighty different. At present day, only Ireland is problematic. However learning to drive on the wrong side of the road is probably more difficult than learning a new set of signs.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways