daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 11th, 2015, 01:12 AM   #31001
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
About road signs: there is a very important aspect here. Inside the EU driving licenses valid without any resctrictions (at least those of category B, which means car). My Hungarian license was even changed to a German one without any further question.
For such a regulation it is obviously very important that road signs and traffic rules must be the same or at least very similar in every countries. Imagine that Germany had significantly different rules, in this case I could have a German license so that no one ever asked if I ever heard about traffic rules!
That's the reason why I can't understand how can those diamond shaped Irish signs be accepted.
Slight differences, different font faces, minor graphical differences are OK. If you come from Slovakia and you have never in your life seen yellow road signs but you drive to Poland and you see a yellow and red yield, you wll understand immediately what it means. If a sign abroad has slightliy different graphics, you will recognize them even so. It's alright for me and I can't see any reason for unify them. And there are usually large signs at border stations about specific rules (although at lot of sencodary crossings which were opened after the Schengen treaty, you won't find them) so that you can drive safely all across the EU.
Except for Ireland...
But if you moved to the USA, probably they would exchange your license in the same way (not necessarily but typically EU-country are allowed)

But really, the signs, even USA-signs vs European signs are clear and distinct to an uneducated driver... maybe American would need to know that red circle with number is speed limit and red circle with nothing is no entry, but the rest is pretty obvious. (arrows mean go that way, red is stop green is go, etc)

I mean, people are not THAT stupid

Sponsored Links
Old March 11th, 2015, 03:21 AM   #31002
riiga

Likes (Received): 126

No problem driving in Ireland really, they follow the Vienna Convention for the most part. And as I pointed out a fews ago in another threads here, the Vienna Convention allows for quite a bit of variation. For example:
riiga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2015, 05:10 AM   #31003
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Does any country still use the old continental European style "STOP" sign in a triangle? I know Zimbabwe still has the old British style STOP sign in a circle, but I thought everyone else adopted the American style (well kind of combination - old American style was yellow, they took American shape and European colour for the new one )
Old March 11th, 2015, 12:13 PM   #31004
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1755

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
Does any country still use the old continental European style "STOP" sign in a triangle? I know Zimbabwe still has the old British style STOP sign in a circle, but I thought everyone else adopted the American style (well kind of combination - old American style was yellow, they took American shape and European colour for the new one )
The Irish signs are tricky and it seems the Vienna Convetion is not perfect.

For example - the unusual shape of priority signs (diamond, upside down triangle, octagon) has its reason: namely - you can clearly recognise the sign from different direction. It might by useful in cases where priority sign (usually "main road") is not posted and you are not sure whether you have to give priority to the right. Everything is clear when you notice the shape of the sign posted on a minor road. (this is one of the many examples).

But there are also diamond warning signs possible according to VC which is partially in conflict with the justification above.

Another thing I can't stand are the white-background-red-stroke-black-arrow regulation signs. White background with red stroke always indicate prohibition, not regulation (I know those are used in former Portugal and Spanish colonies). But this could be the root of cross out on some prohibitory signs (turning prohibited) which is quite illogical (other prohibitory signs does not need the additional line)

EDIT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...ean_road_signs (Ires really are weird )

Rebasepoiss liked this post
volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2015, 12:33 PM   #31005
riiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
Does any country still use the old continental European style "STOP" sign in a triangle?
I wish we still did...
Old March 11th, 2015, 12:37 PM   #31006
MattiG

Likes (Received): 618

Quote:
Originally Posted by riiga View Post
No problem driving in Ireland really, they follow the Vienna Convention for the most part. And as I pointed out a fews ago in another threads here, the Vienna Convention allows for quite a bit of variation. For example:
However, the signs

are not the same sign. Neither are these:

Suburbanist liked this post
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2015, 12:49 PM   #31007
MattiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
About road signs: there is a very important aspect here. Inside the EU driving licenses valid without any resctrictions (at least those of category B, which means car). My Hungarian license was even changed to a German one without any further question.
For such a regulation it is obviously very important that road signs and traffic rules must be the same or at least very similar in every countries. Imagine that Germany had significantly different rules, in this case I could have a German license so that no one ever asked if I ever heard about traffic rules!
Note: Your driving license entitles you to drive into a foreign country. But it does exempt you from making yourself familiar with the legislation in that country, including the traffic signs and rules.

This is the same principle which is in use on the seas: The captain is responsible to find out about all the relevant local legislation, rules and regulations anywhere he or she is sailing.
Old March 11th, 2015, 01:55 PM   #31008
MattiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
The Irish signs are tricky and it seems the Vienna Convetion is not perfect.
Of course, it is not perfect. It is an international convention, and they tend to target an acceptable solution by making trade-off across conflicting opinions. It would be a mission impossible to create a uniform global scheme of traffic signals based on completely on the European heritage and just ignoring the American one, or vice versa.

The value of the VC is that we have only two systems in place. Without it, we might have a chaos of 20 systems.

(Something similar has taken place on the seas. There is an organization called International Association of Lighthouse Authorities (IALA), having 80+ countries as members. It implemented the "IALA Maritime Buoyage System", which replaced 30 buoyage system with two. Europe and Americas could not agree on the lateral marks. Therefore, there are two systems, called IALA A and IALA B.)
Old March 11th, 2015, 03:13 PM   #31009
bigic
(-_-) -<>- ♂♂

Likes (Received): 136

About college fraternities, there is an opinion piece on why they should be banned:
http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...klahoma-racist
bigic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2015, 06:53 PM   #31010
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigic View Post
About college fraternities, there is an opinion piece on why they should be banned:
http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...klahoma-racist
I don't see why in a democratic country a free association estabilished by a group of people should be banned by law.
I mean, one is free to like or dislike an association, and then choose wether joining it or not. Of course members of associations can be prosecuted if they break a law (in that case, hate speech law) and eventually, the entire association be made illegal (if it's a crime-aimed association), but... advocating for abolition of all associations of a kind? It's what they did in fascist and commie countries, where all associations not related with the party were outlawed.
But I can't figure why student associations in the USA should be gender-segregated in the XXI century. I mean, nowadays the academic environment is made by both boys and girls, who do the same things and share many interests and activities,...
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2015, 07:01 PM   #31011
volodaaaa

Very accurate... yesterday was the day in March I got my bike ready for today... Heard there will be cold windy and rainy weather for next two weeks

cinxxx, Kanadzie liked this post
Old March 11th, 2015, 07:09 PM   #31012
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19410

I bought a used bicycle yesterday for € 300. It replaced my 15 year old bicycle which is falling apart (everything was worn out except for the frame). The new bicycle was a higher-end model that probably cost over € 1000 originally. 8 speed, suspension at the front wheel, automatic lights, etc. A pretty good deal and it rides like a new bike compared to my old wreck.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2015, 07:14 PM   #31013
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18308

picture?
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2015, 07:33 PM   #31014
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I bought a used bicycle yesterday for € 300. It replaced my 15 year old bicycle which is falling apart (everything was worn out except for the frame). The new bicycle was a higher-end model that probably cost over € 1000 originally. 8 speed, suspension at the front wheel, automatic lights, etc. A pretty good deal and it rides like a new bike compared to my old wreck.
I got my bike for my 13th birthday (it was little larger than necessary) in 2000. It was neglected for about 10 years, full of moulds (from exterior garage), rusty, broken down derailleurs (I used to joke about it as automatic transmission, because it spontaneously gradually changed the gears from light one to hard ones ). Was decided to buy a new bike, but the prices were gross. So I take it to repair shop to do a complete rehabilitation. Costed me 70 €. I don't do any MTB, just riding on asphalt. Can't imagine how could it be better. Bikes are extremely expensive comparing to scooters.

Old March 11th, 2015, 07:42 PM   #31015
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19410

On the other hand, you don't have to put gasoline in a bicycle
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2015, 07:45 PM   #31016
volodaaaa

It runs on fat :P

Old March 11th, 2015, 07:55 PM   #31017
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Can you post some sort of picture of it? Sounds like the bike I have. Mine cost €700 new, though part of that was extra cost because I don't have a standard size model. I'm too short for that...
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2015, 08:11 PM   #31018
riiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
However, the signs

are not the same sign. Neither are these:

I grouped some of them together.
Old March 12th, 2015, 01:43 AM   #31019
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

I'm waiting for warmer temperatures as I go to work with bicycle (12 km one way) when there is at least 10°C in the morning. I use 3 years old MTB with front suspension, it is really useful on many bumps that Ljubljana cycle ways have. A full suspension bike would be even better.
Now I'm planning to buy a loud bike horn (I said horn, not a bell ) for all those pedestrians that are sleeping on cycle ways and blind car drivers. Anyone has it or knows one that has it?
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2015, 02:11 AM   #31020
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Jasper90, cinxxx liked this post
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways