daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 21st, 2015, 12:38 AM   #31061
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

They still got to experience the rapid transition from day to night. Which is quite eerie, the birds stop chirping, the temperature drops, everyday life stops for a moment.

Back in 1999 we were on vacation in Austria, and headed north into Germany to see the eclipse. It rained almost the entire way, but it cleared up about half an hour before the eclipse, and got to see the corona.

It's really memorable and hard to understand if you haven't experienced it in person. The next nearby eclipse is in Spain, and I will probably be driving down there.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 21st, 2015, 01:31 AM   #31062
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
Several thousands of people travelled to Faroe Islands because there was a total eclipse to see. Actually, there would have been, if the sky hadn't been covered with clouds. So I, staying at home, have seen more of the eclipse just watching it from our living room than those people who paid a lot of money for travelling to Faroe.
Should've gone to Svalbard.

Suburbanist liked this post
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2015, 11:20 AM   #31063
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2102

Thick clouds over Turin. No eclipse visible. But I witnessed the full 1999 one in Munich, so I'm good.
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2015, 11:54 AM   #31064
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

the sun was too strong here so i couldn't see it because i didn't have appropriate filter for looking at the sun at workplace. i tried wathing it throught the CD, but it was anyway too strong (in my sector i've found only 1 CD at that moment, and there should be at least 3 of them to make a proper filter).

i remember 1999, here we had 99% ecplise. my parents didn't let me go to Hungary to observe it so i watched it through the filter made of röntgen image of my lungs, it turned out to be perfect filter

i am definitely not missing that one in 2026 in Spain.

btw, a guy from Croatia caught A380 from Paris to Doha while photographing the eclipse:

winnipeg liked this post

Last edited by x-type; March 21st, 2015 at 12:00 PM.
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2015, 12:03 PM   #31065
MattiG

Likes (Received): 615

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Thick clouds over Turin. No eclipse visible. But I witnessed the full 1999 one in Munich, so I'm good.
The latest full one visible in Helsinki area took place in 1990. The eclipse took place only about 15 minutes after the sunrise. Therefore people went to high places to see the phenomena. The time was about 5 o'clock in the Sunday morning. There were hundreds of people on an artificial hill in Malminkartano, and quite many of them were on their way from night clubs. That is why the atmosphere was somewhat wild.

During the last week, several interesting phenomena took place. On Tuesday, a massive magnetic storm hit the Earth, and most wonderful Aurora Borealis were seen even in the southern Europe. The eclipse took place in Friday, and only 13 hours later it was time for the spring equinox: last night at 2245 Greenwich time.

On Tuesday night, I traveled to a distant and dark area to shoot some photos of the Auroras: https://picasaweb.google.com/matti.j...eat=directlink
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2015, 01:15 PM   #31066
x-type
con los terroristas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
The latest full one visible in Helsinki area took place in 1990. The eclipse took place only about 15 minutes after the sunrise. Therefore people went to high places to see the phenomena. The time was about 5 o'clock in the Sunday morning. There were hundreds of people on an artificial hill in Malminkartano, and quite many of them were on their way from night clubs. That is why the atmosphere was somewhat wild.

During the last week, several interesting phenomena took place. On Tuesday, a massive magnetic storm hit the Earth, and most wonderful Aurora Borealis were seen even in the southern Europe. The eclipse took place in Friday, and only 13 hours later it was time for the spring equinox: last night at 2245 Greenwich time.

On Tuesday night, I traveled to a distant and dark area to shoot some photos of the Auroras: https://picasaweb.google.com/matti.j...eat=directlink
each eclipse brings similar weird stories. i remember the one in 1999, they have been mentioning probably the weirdest syzygy ever forming some kind of cross if i remember well, they found some weird and occult things about the date when it occured (11.08.), i think that even baba Vanga had some predictions about it
Old March 21st, 2015, 01:56 PM   #31067
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1931

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post

And today's high tide will be so high, the Mont Saint Michel will be an island for some time (If it isn't already)
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2015, 03:19 PM   #31068
MattiG

Likes (Received): 615

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
And today's high tide will be so high, the Mont Saint Michel will be an island for some time (If it isn't already)
Yes. It is the time of super tides. The tidal range is always peaking close to new moon and full moon. The spring tides are highest close to equinoxes. The eclipse occurring at the same time increases the tidal range even more.

Another interesting phenomenon is visible at the other side of the English Channel: The Severn Bore. It is a tidal wave moving along the river for tens of kilometres upstream. The strongest bores occur today and tomorrow.

http://www.thesevernbore.co.uk/
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2015, 04:38 PM   #31069
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Yesterday morning I was in Trieste. Weather was too cloudy to appreciate the eclipse, but I probably wouldn't have watched it anyway because I had no the appropriate protective glasses. I tried to photograph it with my smartphone but it wasn't well visible. Last time a full eclipse was visible from Italy was in 1961 (and only in Central Italy). Yesterday I watched real-time images from Svalbard.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2015, 07:32 PM   #31070
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
i remember 1999, here we had 99% ecplise. my parents didn't let me go to Hungary to observe it
There be dragons? What about Slovenia?
Old March 21st, 2015, 07:39 PM   #31071
Verso
Islander

Never mind, I've found the answer.
Old March 21st, 2015, 09:09 PM   #31072
x-type
con los terroristas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
There be dragons? What about Slovenia?
you had total?
Old March 21st, 2015, 09:16 PM   #31073
Verso
Islander

Yes, although less than Luxembourg.
Old March 21st, 2015, 09:21 PM   #31074
x-type
con los terroristas

so you think it's easier for me to reach Hodoš than, i don't know, Siofok?
Old March 21st, 2015, 09:24 PM   #31075
Verso
Islander

It's a bit closer and ex-Yugoslavia.
Old March 21st, 2015, 09:31 PM   #31076
x-type
con los terroristas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
It's a bit closer and ex-Yugoslavia.
i didn't have driver's licence then yet (actually, in that time i have obviously attended driving school because my licence was issued month and a half after that )

and honestly - for people from my area Slovenia was more exotic than Hungary (because of groceries tours that we did each month in 90es in cheap and near Hungary )
Old March 21st, 2015, 11:29 PM   #31077
bogdymol
bogdymod

Today I did a 1 day trip to Graz (approx. 500 km both ways). There are so many tunnels on A9 so after I got back home I decided to check how many there are exactly. During todays's roadtrip I passed through 57 tunnels with a combined length of 78,8 km (top 3 longest tunnels had 10086 m, 8320 m and 5400 m). Quite a "tunnel" day
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog

Attus liked this post
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2015, 12:12 AM   #31078
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18298

Greetings from Granada, Spain!
Drove for the first time in Spain, from Malaga airport.

Some more driving ahead next week
cinxxx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2015, 06:02 AM   #31079
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1819

The US army convoy rolling through Türi, Estonia:

They are travelling from Tapa in Estonia to Vilseck in Germany - through Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, the Czech Republic and Germany. A more thorough video abot the operation can be seen here

There are also currently fourteen F-16 CM US aircrafts in Estonia, carrying out the largest air force excercise yet. They will also use live ammuntion when shooting at targets - something that hasn't been seen over here since 1991.

Last edited by Rebasepoiss; March 22nd, 2015 at 06:23 AM.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2015, 06:16 AM   #31080
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

wow, Hummvee has wimpy sounding horn like old Hyundai

Tags
highways, motorways