daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 12th, 2015, 10:36 AM   #31221
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18313

Good morning!

cinxxx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 12th, 2015, 11:51 AM   #31222
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

I was wondering something: is any other country as stupid as Slovenia, where, if you wanna study transport, you have to go to Portorož? It's even more ironic that that faculty (Faculty of Maritime Studies and Transport) belongs to the University of Ljubljana.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2015, 12:39 PM   #31223
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19422

Being a student in a Mediterranean coastal town. I can imagine worse places to study

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Kanadzie liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2015, 01:09 PM   #31224
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
I was wondering something: is any other country as stupid as Slovenia, where, if you wanna study transport, you have to go to Portorož? It's even more ironic that that faculty (Faculty of Maritime Studies and Transport) belongs to the University of Ljubljana.
i don't find it stupid, but nice way of decentralization.
in Croatia you can study IT technologies only in Varaždin, tourism related studies are at the coast (I know for Opatija for instance, I don't know is there anywhere else) etc.

why would everything be placed in the capital?
Old April 12th, 2015, 01:35 PM   #31225
Verso
Islander

I wouldn't mind if there were transport faculties in Ljubljana and Portorož, but if there's just one, it should be in Ljubljana IMO. Maritime studies can stay in Portorož (Koper would be better though IMO).
Old April 12th, 2015, 02:16 PM   #31226
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
in Croatia you can study IT technologies only in Varaždin, tourism related studies are at the coast (I know for Opatija for instance, I don't know is there anywhere else) etc.

Decentralization of university faculties in small towns is common in Italy. I don't like this arrangement, though, as it would be more economically efficient to group all faculties in a main regional city (even better in an unique big campus in the immediate outskirt of the city, with good PT service to the city centre). This allows buildings and facilities (libraries, laboratories, rooms,...) to be shared among different faculties\departments, with a minimization of costs. Moreover, many students (that usaully don't own a car in the place where they study) don't like to live alone in a small town, where few services and socializing opportunities for young people exist.
In North East Italy there are universities in Padova, Venice, Trento, Bolzano, Verona, Trieste and Udine, but decentralized faculties in places like Vicenza, Treviso, Belluno, Conegliano (!), Portogruaro (!), Pordenone, Gemona del Friuli (!), Gorizia and probably other places.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Being a student in a Mediterranean coastal town. I can imagine worse places to study
And what you would do in Portoroz all the time during winter without a car?
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2015, 02:31 PM   #31227
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post

That's stupid, because if you need to have only a single IT faculty in the whole country, it would be logical to have it in Zagreb, that is big and in the centre of the country, in opposition at Varazdin, smaller and on the edge of the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
I wouldn't mind if there were transport faculties in Ljubljana and Portorož, but if there's just one, it should be in Ljubljana IMO. Maritime studies can stay in Portorož (Koper would be better though IMO).
Probably they wanted to keep the faculty together, and since it includes maritime studies, it had to be by the sea (in Italy naval engineering is in Trieste, Genoa and Naples). The political science department in Trieste is split between Trieste (administration studies) and Gorizia (international relations studies). This is what I call stupid and useless.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old April 12th, 2015, 03:02 PM   #31228
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21253

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Decentralization of university faculties in small towns is common in Italy. I don't like this arrangement, though, as it would be more economically efficient to group all faculties in a main regional city (even better in an unique big campus in the immediate outskirt of the city, with good PT service to the city centre). This allows buildings and facilities (libraries, laboratories, rooms,...) to be shared among different faculties\departments, with a minimization of costs. Moreover, many students (that usaully don't own a car in the place where they study) don't like to live alone in a small town, where few services and socializing opportunities for young people exist.
In North East Italy there are universities in Padova, Venice, Trento, Bolzano, Verona, Trieste and Udine, but decentralized faculties in places like Vicenza, Treviso, Belluno, Conegliano (!), Portogruaro (!), Pordenone, Gemona del Friuli (!), Gorizia and probably other places.
I agree with you.

This will never gonna happen, but Italian universities (I'm not talking about the technical schools) would be way better with a wave of consolidation, and building new campuses. Since many occupy prime real estate in cities, they could even probably finance the move by selling out many buildings, especially those are particularly non-descriptive post-WW2 acquisitions for expansion.

I agree, again, with the idea of building greenfield campuses with train access.
Old April 14th, 2015, 03:42 PM   #31229
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19422

The Canadian flag flies over my city today. It was liberated by the Canadian army 70 years ago. It is seen on the tallest church tower in this photo, but the Maple Leaf also flies at several government buildings. The Canadian flag flies 365 days a year on a farm on the edge of the city.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Kanadzie liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2015, 04:13 PM   #31230
Verso
Islander

Nice. We also have an anniversary today. It's 120 years since a destructive earthquake in Ljubljana. It was even felt in Vienna, Florence and Split.

http://www.rtvslo.si/okolje/120-let-...ubljano/362779
Old April 14th, 2015, 05:37 PM   #31231
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1756

There is no anniversary related to my city today, but it has been exactly 8 years since I was at first date with my gf :-)

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2015, 05:53 PM   #31232
volodaaaa

Btw. 45° images was terminated at google?

Old April 14th, 2015, 05:54 PM   #31233
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
There is no anniversary related to my city today, but it has been exactly 8 years since I was at first date with my gf :-)
Cheesy.
Old April 14th, 2015, 11:24 PM   #31234
volodaaaa

Perhaps, I should have posted it in IBC topic, but...

http://liberland.org/en/main/

a Czech guy has established a free state of Liberland between Croatia and Serbia, on the territory neither of countries have been interested in. He would like to create a taxless country. I just wish he would not get a heart attack and would not have to end up in a hospital subsidized by the filthy taxes

Verso, Surel liked this post
Old April 14th, 2015, 11:30 PM   #31235
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

Quote:

a Czech guy has established a free state of Liberland between Croatia and Serbia, on the territory neither of countries have been interested in. He would like to create a taxless country. I just wish he would not get a heart attack and would not have to end up in a hospital subsidized by the filthy taxes
now you've remembered me what i dreamt last night: a weird Czech store (?) opened in my city. i entered there curiously with my sister, there were some things that should have been Czech souvenirs, and a girl who worked there spoke some weird language. my sister couldn't understand it, but i did (it sounded like Croatian dialect, but that is spoken nowhere)
Old April 15th, 2015, 10:15 AM   #31236
italystf

Quote:

An American did the same last year in Bir Tawil.

The principe that originated the unclaimed land is the same: there is a territorial dispute between to countries (Croatia and Serbia or Egypt and Sudan) and each of them recognizes a different boundary line. The two different lines intersect each other, leaving parcels of land unclaimed by two countries. Those are rare cases but they may happen.
Old April 15th, 2015, 01:47 PM   #31237
volodaaaa

Yeah. But perhaps, the most notable is Sealand between UK and France.

Old April 15th, 2015, 04:09 PM   #31238
italystf

Quote:
Yeah. But perhaps, the most notable is Sealand between UK and France.
Sealand is different, though, since it wasn't estabilished on an unclaimed land, but on a man-made structure in international water. It probably would never have been eligible to statehood according to international law, since it lacks a real territory, that, together with government and population is one of the three fundamental elements for a state. Similar to Sealand, was the Republic of Rose Island.
Old April 15th, 2015, 04:47 PM   #31239
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

Last night, Spanish cuisine got its version of Ecce Homo . Now introducing: 'Lion eats prawn' (León come gamba)!

This was made in the Spanish edition of MasterChef. Obviously, the contestant got eliminated.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.

Suburbanist liked this post
CNGL está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2015, 05:53 PM   #31240
VITORIA MAN
on skycrapercity

Likes (Received): 14404

jokes about it in internet...

http://i.embed.ly/1/display/resize?k...5aW4AEP_6B.jpg

http://www.mujerhoy.com/pic.aspx?w=6...5567285473.jpg
VITORIA MAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways