daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 17th, 2015, 09:49 PM   #31261
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

So? Are people using public transport worth more than people driving their own cars?
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 17th, 2015, 10:26 PM   #31262
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
So? Are people using public transport worth more than people driving their own cars?
No, in fact they have only one lane dedicated while the other two are for private cars.
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2015, 10:27 PM   #31263
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
A bike lane in Timisoara, Romania, just 35 cm wide:
LOL, notice the bicycle symbols painted on the asphalt parallel to the lane, instead of perpendicular to it like it's usual. Obviously perpendicular won't fit.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2015, 10:29 PM   #31264
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
No, in fact they have only one lane dedicated while the other two are for private cars.
You mean taxis can't use the other two lanes? That's ridiculous.
Old April 17th, 2015, 11:27 PM   #31265
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1756

Quote:
Yes, they are.

Quote:
Same here, but I don't see why taxis would be eligible to use bus lanes. You can't put any more people in a taxi cab than in any other personal car, and taxi drivers often drive around alone anyway.
It is very disputable, but taxis (no matter how much I hate taxi drivers for being ultra-rude) are compromise between individual driving and PT.

Why? Here are some reason (I have had a small talk with an transport planner here in Bratislava)

1) During a day, a certain taxi transports much more passengers than private car. Private car is usually driven by single person, parked for whole day on a parking lot and then driven by the same single person back home. Taxi moves around the city and travels tens of people who opted for not use their cars and therefore do not contribute to congestions.

2) Taxi drivers have dedicated parking places and don't park anywhere for a long time period. They literally mutually fluctuate. It is kind of luxury PT. Needless to say that unlike individual private cars, taxi drivers drive much less alone. There was a survey in Bratislava concluding only one of six cars are occupied by two or more passengers. Sad.

Therefore, for city and its congestions it is still better to have you using taxi than private car.

Jasper90 liked this post
volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2015, 11:33 PM   #31266
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21253

That pic is deceptive, notice how just 1/4 of the building façades shown on the blue snippet appear on the car snippet

Old April 17th, 2015, 11:36 PM   #31267
Suburbanist
on the road

I was wondering why is that railways have ultra detailed historical registers of dates of opening of lines, stations and even junctions or control posts, whereas there is much less historical information about highways and roads, in general.

That happens in Europe, in North America, in Oceania...

Sources about opening dates are often sparse and imprecise. Railway events have a lot of sources referencing them, such as newspapers etc.
Old April 17th, 2015, 11:36 PM   #31268
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19422

Taxis are far too expensive to use on a daily basis for most people, unless the bill is paid by a third party. They are only interesting if you live in a downtown area and don't need to get around much. That's a really small percentage of the metropolitan population.

Also, that comparison between cars, bus and bicycles is sweet, but meaningless because these modes are used by different users and cover a different geographic area. Few car trips are short enough to be replaced by a bicycle unless you are really lazy. The share of trips that can be done by bus (or another form of public transport) in the same time as by car is very small (a few percent in the Netherlands). Most car travel are trips with a very large door-to-door travel time difference compared to public transport (NL: 90% of the car trips are on routes that take at least twice as much time with public transport)
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2015, 11:40 PM   #31269
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Sources about opening dates are often sparse and imprecise.
I have opening dates / years for the majority of motorways in the world. Only a few areas are poorly documented.
Old April 17th, 2015, 11:52 PM   #31270
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1756

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Taxis are far too expensive to use on a daily basis for most people, unless the bill is paid by a third party. They are only interesting if you live in a downtown area and don't need to get around much. That's a really small percentage of the metropolitan population.

Also, that comparison between cars, bus and bicycles is sweet, but meaningless because these modes are used by different users and cover a different geographic area. Few car trips are short enough to be replaced by a bicycle unless you are really lazy. The share of trips that can be done by bus (or another form of public transport) in the same time as by car is very small (a few percent in the Netherlands). Most car travel are trips with a very large door-to-door travel time difference compared to public transport (NL: 90% of the car trips are on routes that take at least twice as much time with public transport)
We have a 5 € taxi that takes you wherever within the city. If you are in group of 4 people, it could be comparable to PT.

The transport modes are obviously different, but the image shows the truth. Car drivers (especially those who drive alone) demands much more space than bus passengers, needless to mention the parking place demand. I use car and PT transport equally so I know that there are sometimes relations or circumstances when you need to use car.

Netherlands is perceived as a conscious country here - with rational usage of different transport modes. But the enlightenment is necessary here as the car is perceived as a family member. Of course I also pet my vectra, especially after the long journey and compliment her for being reliable, but car is not a part of my image nor life style.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2015, 11:57 PM   #31271
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
but car is not a part of my image nor life style.
Not for me either, otherwise I wouldn't be driving a Hyundai i10 It's efficient, cheap and reliable, but not much else.

I actually cycle a lot, if I don't make a weekend trip I cycle more kilometers than I drive my car in a week. But there's not a single trip I've made in the past years where public transport would be an interesting alternative. I have a business card for public transport provided by my employer, but I have never used it, even though I can actually travel all non-train public transport for free and unlimited.
Old April 18th, 2015, 12:11 AM   #31272
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
Yes, they are.
Are those taxi cabs on the left?
Old April 18th, 2015, 12:42 AM   #31273
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by castillo2008 View Post
From eurostat:

Motorway density (km1000km2)

Regions with the most significant motorway expansion between 2000 and 2012

Six Spanish regions

Regions with the highest motorway density in 2012

corss posting
Old April 18th, 2015, 12:47 AM   #31274
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

I reckon most of Western-Germany would be pretty high on that list as well.
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2015, 02:08 AM   #31275
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Accident of the Day:

http://www.king5.com/story/news/loca...s-i5/25925049/

By the way, if anyone's wondering why I haven't been around much, it's because I'm far busier than usual at work, and trying to behave myself so that that turns into a promotion or at least a nice raise.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2015, 03:12 AM   #31276
Suburbanist
on the road

Some zebras on the loose in Belgium (Bruxelles)

Source: BBC

Penn's Woods liked this post
Suburbanist está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2015, 03:14 AM   #31277
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

I've JUST - like within the last two minutes - been looking for reasonable airfares to Brussels in June....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2015, 04:01 AM   #31278
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

I know they say many Africans in Brussels but finally I understand

Attus liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2015, 10:50 AM   #31279
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Motorway density isn't everything. Motorway capacity is also an indicator.

Madrid is underreported by the way. They probably don't count all autovías. The real figure is closer to 950 km, shooting Madrid to #4 on the density list. However, Madrid has by far the largest area of any region listed in the top 20, which makes it more impressive.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Pavlemadrid liked this post
Old April 18th, 2015, 03:37 PM   #31280
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Most car travel are trips with a very large door-to-door travel time difference compared to public transport (NL: 90% of the car trips are on routes that take at least twice as much time with public transport)
1. Netherlands, having a quite unusual allocation of working places is very peculiar. It's a matter of course that transport modal share is there is very different from that of, for Example, Frankfurt am Main or Paris.
2. The question of demand for place is absolutely not important in rural areas where there are plenty of free surfaces and the roads are not overloaded even if every one drives a car. It has more importance in city outskirts, and is important as hell in densely built areas (especially, but not exclusively, city centers). And (what a surprise) that 10% trips are located in that areas. Daily commuting from outskirts to city centers, travelling inside a city, and secondarily, inter city travels. And that's why we have dedicated public transport infrastructure (subway, railways, tram, or dedicated public transport lane) there, and have usually nothing like this* in rural areas.
The one that speaks about public transport in general, with no differences between various kinds of areas, is a fool and knows nothing about traffic. Either is he a railroad geek or a road enthusiast, does not matter.

* There are lots of railways in rural areas, too, but they were usually built 100-150 years ago and actually they hurt no one, the surface they take up is not needed for other goals.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways