daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 24th, 2015, 11:34 PM   #31361
winnipeg

Likes (Received): 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
Meanwhile in Bratislava
And... he says "kill the routine, not yourself" at the end of the video?
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 24th, 2015, 11:39 PM   #31362
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1750

indeed attention wh0re at its best.

winnipeg, Nexis liked this post
volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2015, 11:45 PM   #31363
winnipeg

Likes (Received): 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
The problem with the new Google Maps is that is hogs a lot of graphics card memory and doesn't work that well with some devices. that is what slows it down for many users. They conceived it as a "mobile-first" platform and it is not really optimized for desktop viewing yet. It works beautifully on my smartphone and quite badly on my laptop (6GB RAM, Intel Core i7 2.0GHz).
I have a configuration not so far from yours : 8Gb of ram and a mobile [email protected] with the graphic chipset going with it... But on Windows 8.1 and I'm using Chrome (perhaps it's linked to the browser? Some have poor performances...)

Yes I haven't thinked about this as long as it works for me, since I'm using it, I adopted it as it is and I haven't seen that some of the features are not well adapted to desktop use... But you right it's not perfect...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
People are reporting widely fluctuating performance with the new Google Maps, and it doesn't seem to be related to system specs.

I dislike the new general layout and especially the way planned routes are mapped. I like the simplicity of simple A to B markers with a blue line. I don't want to see alternative routes unless I select them. Not to mention ridiculous transit alternatives.
Ok, I see, it can explain what Suburbanist is experiencing, even with a good configuration and internet access... They need to fix all these problems.

I personaly also use Here Maps (witch is wonderfull on an Android smartphone, with absolutly free offline maps and navigation ) and OpenStreetsMap with is also very great because the comunity fix and update the maps much faster than maps companies on other platforms, also the maps are much detailed for example here in Romania!
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2015, 03:45 AM   #31364
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17037

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54°26′S 3°24′E View Post
Not sure what you mean with passing areas. In the glimpses I saw, the warning lines were used :

(yellow version)
They mean that passing normally is not advisable. In areas where passing is possible, shorter lines are used:

In either case, passing is of course illegal if it cannot be done in a safe manner and without affecting other vehicles, and speed limits apply. Solid center lines are used less in Norway, mainly in some high traffic roads, tunnels, and in intersections:

These lines you are of course not allowed to cross, and you always have to keep to the right of the yellow ones. Having these all over the place in Norway would be unpractical.
Oh... Still abit Strange to have the first set of broken lines...instead of a solid line.
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2015, 04:57 PM   #31365
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19397

Google Maps

I don't like the fact that the new Google Maps insists to show alternative routes, even if they don't make any sense at all. For instance, a route from Pharr to George West in Texas. It doesn't make any sense to deviate from US 281 and take a 50 minute detour for no reason.

ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2015, 06:05 PM   #31366
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1936

Now that you mention silly alternate routes, it appears that my way back from the forests of Northwestern Soria province wasn't silly at all. According to Google Maps, bumping down to Ariza only costs 10 minutes more compared to the most common routes via N-232 and its no overtaking zone or via N-234. Actually the route I chosen on my way out was a couple minutes longer than my way back despite being 60 km shorter (and with far less motorways). Of course, this is assuming you go in one shot, I stopped in Tarazona in the way out and in Ariza and a rest area near Epila in the way back.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2015, 06:12 PM   #31367
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

Nice blog about the autonomous cars future:
http://zackkanter.com/2015/01/23/how...-jobs-by-2025/

Quote:
The transition is already beginning to happen. Elon Musk, Tesla Motor’s CEO, says that their 2015 models will be able to self-drive 90 percent of the time.1 And the major automakers aren’t far behind – according to Bloomberg News, GM’s 2017 models will feature “technology that takes control of steering, acceleration and braking at highway speeds of 70 miles per hour or in stop-and-go congested traffic.”2 Both Google3 and Tesla4 predict that fully-autonomous cars – what Musk describes as “true autonomous driving where you could literally get in the car, go to sleep and wake up at your destination” – will be available to the public by 2020.

Morgan Stanley’s research shows that cars are driven just 4% of the time,5 which is an astonishing waste considering that the average cost of car ownership is nearly $9,000 per year.6 Next to a house, an automobile is the second most expensive asset that most people will ever buy – it is no surprise that ride sharing services like Uber and car sharing services like Zipcar are quickly gaining popularity as an alternative to car ownership. It is now more economical to use a ride sharing service if you live in a city and drive less than 10,000 miles per year.

A full 60% of US adults surveyed stated that they would ride in an autonomous car9 , and nearly 32% said they would not continue to drive once an autonomous car was available instead.10 But no one is more excited than Uber – drivers take home at least 75% of every fare.11 It came as no surprise when CEO Travis Kalanick recently stated that Uber will eventually replace all of its drivers with self-driving cars.1

A Columbia University study suggested that with a fleet of just 9,000 autonomous cars, Uber could replace every taxi cab in New York City13 – passengers would wait an average of 36 seconds for a ride that costs about $0.50 per mile

The effects of the autonomous car movement will be staggering. PricewaterhouseCoopers predicts that the number of vehicles on the road will be reduced by 99%, estimating that the fleet will fall from 245 million to just 2.4 million vehicles.

etc. read the blog post
This is also interesting read: https://www.lloyds.com/~/media/lloyd...es%20final.pdf

TrueBulgarian liked this post
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2015, 11:41 PM   #31368
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Looks like GMaps has changed Dunărea (Danube in Romanian) into Donava (Slovenian).
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2015, 11:50 PM   #31369
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1936

It has changed into Danubio (Spanish) for me , even though that river doesn't flow anywhere near Spain. The Yangtze is still rendered as 长江, though.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2015, 01:03 AM   #31370
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18302

LOL at the people in the car at min. 2 and the girls face

cinxxx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2015, 07:38 PM   #31371
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

I've just watched the movie I Love You to Death for like the fifth time. So funny. He's from Italy and she's from Yugoslavia.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2015, 09:52 PM   #31372
bogdymol
bogdymod

Tomorrow until Thursday morning I will do a quick tour of UK: London Luton Airport to Exeter (south of England) to Edinburgh Airport (Scotland), with a few more stopovers on the way (map). Quite a roadtrip
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog

ChrisZwolle, cinxxx liked this post
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2015, 12:49 AM   #31373
radamfi

Likes (Received): 58

Do you have a paper counterpart to your driving licence in your country, detailing your driving offences? They are phasing them out in the UK on 8 June. British licence holders trying to hire a car abroad might be asked for the counterpart according to BBC News and could have a problem.
radamfi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2015, 12:54 AM   #31374
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 894

As long as you don't move I'd just keep the counterpart.

I've never rented a car myself, but been witnessed people renting cars on many occasions and I've never seen anyone abroad ask to see the counterpart.
DanielFigFoz está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2015, 12:56 AM   #31375
bogdymol
bogdymod

No, I don't have that. I have just the small plastic driving licence (credit card size). Nobody asked for anything else.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2015, 01:02 AM   #31376
radamfi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
As long as you don't move I'd just keep the counterpart.

I've never rented a car myself, but been witnessed people renting cars on many occasions and I've never seen anyone abroad ask to see the counterpart.
The government is recommending people to destroy the counterpart.

When hiring in the UK I'm always asked. I haven't hired anywhere else in Europe. In the US I'm never asked.
Old April 28th, 2015, 01:33 AM   #31377
54°26′S 3°24′E

Likes (Received): 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Oh... Still abit Strange to have the first set of broken lines...instead of a solid line.
In a rugged country like Norway, winding roads are the norm, hence good opportunities for passing other cars can be far between. Still, it can often be safe to pass slow vehicles like tractors. Hence, broken long lines are more common than solid lines. Still, you will be heavily fined if the passing is reckless.
54°26′S 3°24′E no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2015, 05:13 AM   #31378
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Quote:
Originally Posted by radamfi View Post
The government is recommending people to destroy the counterpart.

When hiring in the UK I'm always asked. I haven't hired anywhere else in Europe. In the US I'm never asked.
You have to carry a "scarlet letter" with all your offenses all the time?
I never even heard of that, surely Americans could never imagine it
Old April 28th, 2015, 06:46 AM   #31379
MattiG

Likes (Received): 618

Quote:
Originally Posted by radamfi View Post
Do you have a paper counterpart to your driving licence in your country, detailing your driving offences? They are phasing them out in the UK on 8 June. British licence holders trying to hire a car abroad might be asked for the counterpart according to BBC News and could have a problem.
Never heard about such a thing.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2015, 09:44 AM   #31380
radamfi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
You have to carry a "scarlet letter" with all your offenses all the time?
I never even heard of that, surely Americans could never imagine it
It is not compulsory to carry your licence when driving in the UK, even the photo. If you are stopped by the police, you are allowed up to 7 days to present the licence at a police station. Then (I think) you need to present both the photo card and the paper counterpart. Also, as mentioned above, always when hiring a car in the UK.

Photo licences were only introduced in the UK in 1998. Before that, the licence was on paper, including the list of your offences. If you haven't moved house since 1998, then you still only have a paper licence, and that won't change on 8 June.

Tags
highways, motorways